Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Evasive chunk of city

Post by RetiredGuyNOTL
This is not a complaint, just checking to see if this is a common weakness in the software.
I have one section of our major city (Toronto, Ontario) that I have been trying for almost 2 months to have it part of my driven area so that I can edit the map. I have gone out of my way three times to drive through that area to gain access. I have even tried paving a road through one shopping center to create activity, all to no avail, area remains shaded. I have driven some other areas to have them show up as available in as short as same day, to waiting a week. But this one is stubborn. Anyone else encounter this? Guess I'll keep driving through it, sooner or later it will acknowledge me.
Questions you may ask;
iPhone 4S, yes I have cell service in that area, I have rebooted phone many times since.
RetiredGuyNOTL

POSTER_ID:10584766

Send a message

Post by CBenson
Are the drives showing up under the drives tab in the editor?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by Daknife
If it wasn't showing up in your drives then that means that for some reason you had no data signal in that area. Without an active data signal, Waze will not record you as having driven through the area and thus will not grant editing access.
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by Daknife
I've never seen anything like that. I regularly drive through canyons where I have no signal. When I look at my route later there is a gap in the route through those areas.

How I understand the "buffering" is if you review the route while in a area with signal (ex: on wifi at home) it will buffer the map tiles and be able to track you as you drive via the GPS signal in the no signal areas. But Waze will not be able to track your route and report it while it has no data stream from your device.

That is my understanding and what I've seen. And I use an external GPS antanna so I have no issues with the assisted part of A-GPS not working in no cell signal areas.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by harling
daknife wrote:If it wasn't showing up in your drives then that means that for some reason you had no data signal in that area. Without an active data signal, Waze will not record you as having driven through the area and thus will not grant editing access.
My understanding is that the client will buffer GPS data until either the data connection comes back, or the app is closed. In theory, if you have only a Wifi connection at your origin (to calculate your route), and another one at your destination, your entire trip will still be uploaded, even if you are offline the rest of the time.
harling
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/a/ad/W ... os-sig.png
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.

Post by RetiredGuyNOTL
> Are the drives showing up under the drives tab in the editor?

No, this one area wouldn't show up in my drives. The other areas that I have driven in do, but this one was stubborn. However, as of tonight, it finally has cleared.

Thanks for the reply.
RetiredGuyNOTL
Send a message

Post by RetiredGuyNOTL
Yes I did have an active 3G signal. I purposely checked for that because of this problem. What I am finding though, is that it seems to be related to the time of day. I work shifts, and often I do my exploring drives on the way home, which is 3am EST. I find many of these drives have issues. My day drives show up better. I have also found if I reboot the phone more frequently (daily), I tend not to lose drives. I am assuming maybe a buffer fills up? When I was first figuring this out, I drove a month without seeing any of my drives or point changes. I rebooted the phone for a different reason, and noticed a few hours after that, my points jumped almost 20,000, and my drives showed up.
RetiredGuyNOTL
Send a message

Post by RetiredGuyNOTL
I did one drive from Niagara Falls to Hamilton one evening about 2 months ago. I had signal. I did some texting etc. however the whole trip never showed up.
RetiredGuyNOTL
Send a message