Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Well concieved , but lacking

Post by HVACSGuy
I love the App, but I believe the designers had a far greater vision than people being in charge with the most points etc. I do , and still believe that when you drive an area you have the most recent knowledge of it. Being a MegMapper In Washington state and having control over freeways in Houston, Texas is a Major mistake. For the community and the App. When do you get back to Texas ? When you do things are going to be dramatically different and i hope you can keep up.

Being an HVAC service man I'm on the freeway everyday. I see the construction, exit closings and highway re-build's every day. From Shepherd, Texas major rebuild to Hwy 99 and I-10 and the 610 and 290 interchange. If your a level 5 then please do your best to stay on top of it, gas is not .59 a gallon and 5 miles will cost ya. If you pay for.....truckers excluded ( the get paid for going around and around) lol.

With great appreciation

HVACSGuy
HVACSGuy

POSTER_ID:9207496

Send a message

Post by Daknife
Ditto, I stick mostly to Utah with a few forays into areas of neighboring states that I know. I like cleaning up small towns that have never been edited. When working highways, I won't touch construction outside my local area except as a response to an unlock request.

As to the locking situation, that is due to a change that occurred a few months ago where previously a level 3 AM could unlock anything locked by higher, thus previously most of us level 3 or higher locked everything we thought was working right because a local AM could unlock and fix as needed. That means there are a ton of locks out there that today under the current system we would not put in place. Also contributing to the problem is that lock levels get promoted with the User, so everything I locked as a level 3 is now locked at lev 5. Most of those locks I would choose to leave a 3. Waze has said they are looking at these issues but I can't recall rumors of how they plan to address it.

Nearly every CM agrees that the local knows the roads far better. But we've also all seen issues where someone signs up, immediately figures out how to request AM status and then starts messing things up. Some interchanges can take weeks or even months of tweaking to get them working right, and them some newbie comes through not liking the way it "looks" and "fixes" it undoing all the time and effort put in previously. Thus more locks are put into place at level 5, often at the request of local's who see the need to protect a working layout.

It goes both ways, it's both a help and a hinderance to the goal of a smoothly operating road network and nav app. We are aware of the concerns, and most fives and fours will not lock outside their local area unless asked to by a local AM.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by txemt
I think most of the CMs don't edit outside of what they know. I'm a CM and edit mostly in Texas. I reside in San Antonio and frequent Dallas often enough to know my way around, but if I don't know exactly what is going on (like the massive construction project along 635) I leave it alone and let those in the area handle it. I suspect those do the same for San Antonio. There are a few CMs that reside in Houston and fix that city, as well as Dallas. I don't see them doing a whole lot of editing in San Antonio.

I know I'm not going to Washington to edit, unless it's to unlock something for another editor. But, you also have to understand there is a delay from when we edit something before it's seen on the app.
txemt
Send a message
Just wazeting my time to help you waze your route smoothly.