Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Who checks the map edits?

Post by
With different users editing the maps online is there a governance process for checking the accuracy of the map edits? For example if somebody made some mistakes would the mistakes be picked up and corrected by somebody at Waze?

POSTER_ID:10866246

Send a message

Post by AndyPoms
drumorgan wrote:The system checks itself to some extent. I added some roads and evidently forgot to "allow" a turn. The next day, I noticed an alert where someone made a turn that was not allowed. :) I fixed it right there.
These are processed against the editor, not the client map, so if you make a mistake like this on road with a lot of traffic, it should get caught before the edits go live.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by AndyPoms
overl0ad wrote:i'm new at this, but let me say...

there are some people out there who shouldn't be allowed to update the maps.

it's taking me more time to fix the errors than it would to have started from scratch...
If you find that someone has vandalized the map or is continually making edits that are against best practices, please bring them to the attention of your local area manager/country manager or any of the Waze Champs (preferably by PM and including permalinks that you have not fixed yet). They can reach out to that user and try to guide them in the correct direction or, if warranted, work bring the issues to the Waze staff who can then remove that users editing permissions.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager

Post by AndyPoms
kodi75 wrote:Unless there is a way to upload an image to a PM, this post is the only means I have to show the editor what the roads looked like. I decided to fix them, since they are major streets in my area.
some edits were made to road segments in Baltimore on N Charles St and Bellona Ave here. First off, thanks for joining this community of users working to improve maps and helping others get from A to B.

Unfortunately I am not able to upload a image of the intersection with this PM, but I have posted it here in the Community Forum. Hey, I'm still learning too.

If you look at the attached image, the road segments at the intersection were red, indicating a problem. IN this case, the segments were not given a road name and a city. Also, the turn restrictions prevented any turns from any of the segments. And if there is a problem, Waze cannot use the segments for routing.

Please PM me if you have any questions or post a message in the Map Editing Forum and look at the links to some of the Waze Wiki on my signature block below.
There isn't a way to upload an image to a PM, you need to use another host for it & use the IMG tags - I know, it's annoying. Also, Fairview Rd at the bottom of your screen shot looks like it needs the End Node Fixed on the Cul-De-Sac/Dead End.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager

Post by Daknife
Also based on reports from other editors Down under what you are claiming is bad or incomplete mapping may not be editors but the original Base map import.

Most areas need a lot of work after the basemap is imported from government sources, it really annoys those who've managed to create a fairly comprehensive map without any such basemap and then Waze decides they have enough users and imports a basemap wiping out the prior work (it happened recently in Brazil). Waze has tools in place to automate some corrections such as directionality but most the problems won't get fixed until an editor goes in and makes the roads work. That's where the majority of my 1.6 million and counting points is from. Most of my state and the surrounding states were untouched basemap giving me lots and lots of work to do. The major metro areas had been cleaned up a bit by prior editors but even those areas still needed a lot of work.
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by harling
Kuhlkatz wrote:
overl0ad wrote:i know that there was discussion on how "you shouldn't delete someone else's work", but if i come across a random bit of road that's clearly out of place (like a 2M road on top of a hospital roof), i just delete it.
That sounds like someone did some paving...
Or it's from editing back in the days of Cartouche, when only an AM could delete segments, and non-AMs could only mark them for deletion. So, as a non-AM, any segments that are "left over" after editing would have to be moved to some out-of-the-way place until the AM approves their deletion.

Eventually, I stopped marking segments for deletion, and started "recycling" them as nearby driveways and parking lot roads instead. :-)
harling
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/a/ad/W ... os-sig.png
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.

Post by kodi75
Unless there is a way to upload an image to a PM, this post is the only means I have to show the editor what the roads looked like. I decided to fix them, since they are major streets in my area.
some edits were made to road segments in Baltimore on N Charles St and Bellona Ave here. First off, thanks for joining this community of users working to improve maps and helping others get from A to B.

Unfortunately I am not able to upload a image of the intersection with this PM, but I have posted it here in the Community Forum. Hey, I'm still learning too.
new edits.JPG
Charles at Bellona
(100.84 KiB) Downloaded 728 times
If you look at the attached image, the road segments at the intersection were red, indicating a problem. IN this case, the segments were not given a road name and a city. Also, the turn restrictions prevented any turns from any of the segments. And if there is a problem, Waze cannot use the segments for routing.

Please PM me if you have any questions or post a message in the Map Editing Forum and look at the links to some of the Waze Wiki on my signature block below.
kodi75
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 1
Send a message

Post by kodi75
Looks like someone else got to that junction before me. It was late and my main concern was the intersection at Charles and Bellona - my intent was to return to that area later today.

I'll have to start using the WME Colour Highlights Unterminated Roads (Lime) check-box. Otherwise non-terminated roads are hard to spot.

Thanks for the help, Andy.
kodi75
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 1
Send a message

Post by Kuhlkatz
Unfortunately not. That boils down to the individual editors and area & / country managers.
This is also why high value roads are locked.

This is the main reason why editors are encouraged to participate in the forums, and to ensure that they conform to standards in the Wiki. Some of the countries have their own way of doing things, so some regional standards may also apply.

Are you enquiring due to particularly bad edits in an area?

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Carel Cornelius
AM : Centurion & Sandton, ZA
CM & Coordinator, South Africa
(HTC One, Android 5.0.2, v7.19.401.51)
[img]https:///DwNb3R[/img]
South African Wiki Waze Wiki Map Editing

Post by Kuhlkatz
drumorgan wrote:The system checks itself to some extent. I added some roads and evidently forgot to "allow" a turn. The next day, I noticed an alert where someone made a turn that was not allowed. :) I fixed it right there.
Where turn restrictions are incorrect, Waze itself will typically allow those turns if they were never set as 'hard' restrictions before when someone drives that direction. As far as I know, the directionality ( one way or two way ) should not be changed anymore, but there were reports of some roads where this occurred in the forums today. It was brought to support's attention and the original reporter said that it should not occur again after 18th Dec.
If hard restrictions are set, Waze will generate an automated 'Map Problem' that editors can assess and fix, like in your case. This is also the case where users drive over roads or intersections that are not connected, and Waze does not see how you logically got from point A to point B.
pamount wrote:With different users editing the maps online is there a governance process for checking the accuracy of the map edits? For example if somebody made some mistakes would the mistakes be picked up and corrected by somebody at Waze?
I'm not sure if you are an active editor or not. If you are, there is no reason why you cannot get stuck in and correct the wrongs in the area to bring it up to scratch. If the edits were recent, you might want to PM the recent editor and verify that they are done with the area and raise the concerns you have with him/her, or just let them know that you will be working in the area too to fix it up.
If you prefer not to edit yourself, I would suggest posting a request to update or tidy up the area in the Country-specific Australian Forum requesting an Area Manager or CM to look into it and clean it up for you. I'm sure they would be happy to oblige such a request.
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Carel Cornelius

Post by Kuhlkatz
overl0ad wrote:it's little things like roads not connected at all.

or someone has tried to add a road, made a mess of it, and just walked away.

i know that there was discussion on how "you shouldn't delete someone else's work", but if i come across a random bit of road that's clearly out of place (like a 2M road on top of a hospital roof), i just delete it.

i try as much as to preserve the road if it's a little out of place, and just edit it till it fits.

i'm happy to take on more work (gives me something to do) but i need to be able to move up the ranks.

:)
That sounds like someone did some paving. When roads are paved from the client, it is usually a mess. Some editors prefer to delete these and start from scratch. I like to correct them to at least credit the original creator, but that requires a bit more work.
It comes down to personal preferences.

If you are active and prefer a bit more responsibility, you can always become an area manager for one or more areas where you stay or frequently travel.

In this case I'd suggest familiarizing yourself with best editing practices and local standards defined in the Wiki.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Carel Cornelius