Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Apple to acquire Waze?

Post by jmp316
jmp316

POSTER_ID:1622505

Send a message

Post by jmp316
In terms of data gathering, it would make sense to allow Android users to run Waze. Apple's closed off business philosophy suggests otherwise though.
jmp316
Send a message

Post by jmp316
And then I saw this:

http://bgr.co/WmYV0j
jmp316
Send a message

Post by jmp316
jasonh300 wrote:This rumor has been around for over a year now. Considering Waze's behind the scenes licensing with Bing, it would be just as likely that Microsoft would buy them. I think that at this point, the chance of Microsoft or Apple acquiring Waze is slim to none.
I confess I don't know much about Waze's profit strategy (other than recent ads from Taco Bell and Dunkin Donuts appearing in the client maps recently). They already give some data to Apple. Would it make more sense to sell the business for one lump sum or continue to license data and advertise?
jmp316
Send a message

Post by jmp316
As an Apple guru myself (fanboy if you wish) it is intriguing. But I wouldn't want Apple to ruin the gaming, social, and crowd sourcing of waze. I fear they would kill map editing. Boo.
jmp316
Send a message

Post by Jim2029
If apple acquires waze, say good buy to android. Just look at iTunes, is it available for Android? Last time I check it still wasn't...
Jim2029
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
Depends on what Apple would be willing to pay for it

If they were willing to pay a large sum, it would either be because they are a huge potential for profit, or they feel that their own maps are threatened by it.

Either way, it would make sense for then to hang onto it.

Via my iPhone 3GS.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
This rumor has been around for over a year now. Considering Waze's behind the scenes licensing with Bing, it would be just as likely that Microsoft would buy them. I think that at this point, the chance of Microsoft or Apple acquiring Waze is slim to none.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by harling
Poopstick wrote:I hope it will never happen. Apple's stalinian policy is the complete opposite of the waze project. Android users would be screwed, and they are more than 50pc of the community.
The Apple ][ personal computer was a completely open architecture, as (the "other" Steve) Wozniak dreamed. Along with a User's Manual, it came with a Programmer's Manual and even a book of schematics! Its success eventually funded Steve Jobs' black-box Macintosh, and Apple has assumed a "you don't need to know that" mentality about its products ever since. That's where they lost me.

If Apple were to acquire Waze, I predict:
  • Map editing (along with most other participation by the general public) would become a thing of the past;
  • The quality of the routing and the client code would improve;
  • Responsiveness to the user community would suffer;
  • Additional platforms would be supported;
  • Android would not be abandoned, but might lag in development--and might no longer be free;
On the other hand, it's true that this rumor has circulated before, so I'd take the whole thing with a grain of salt.
harling
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/a/ad/W ... os-sig.png
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.

Post by Hai808
Noooo! As an Android user this would not be welcome.
Hai808
Send a message