Community reorganization

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Re: Community reorganization

Postby floppyrod84 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:25 pm

harling wrote:The first time I suggested a minimum forum post requirement, I also specified that it should not be widely known that forum participation is one of the metrics, let alone a specific number of posts. Otherwise, making enough worthless posts to qualify becomes just another "game".

If the folks at Waze want to put their maps--perhaps their most valuable resource--in the hands of people according to their ability to game the system, rather than according to evaluation by other concerned parties, that's their prerogative; but it isn't a formula for success.

Massive +1. It should be based solely on proven ability and by peers in the community who are established, not by any numbers or stats (except the edit requirement).

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84

Postby davipt » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:39 am

aigarslv wrote:My hope is that Waze staff will evaluate each Country separately as each Country presents unique situation, challenges and number of members. Also in this day and age I think it would take just a few minutes chatting/talking to every applicant to see if they are fit :)

Of course they will, each country is different. Look at the case of India, and my case in Portugal. We are so small that have only 2 CM's and even then we had to ask for CM before reaching the 200K (but nearby), or else nobody could fix stuff from the "tourists" rank 4 and 5 visiting the country.

On the other hand the forum count should be analyzed carefully, because it's true that some country forums are almost dead, but I don't think an iPhone or Android expert should become one unless there is participation on the client announcement threads forums, or an editor/navigation expert that doesn't subscribe or at least have a look at the global map forum.
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby aigarslv » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:28 am

your also stating that you would help an average of 1 person per working day.

I never said that. We are discussing criteria to become expert, not how many people expert will be willing to help :)

lets face it... a post of "+1" PROBABLY SHOULDNT qualify.
I totally agree.

My hope is that Waze staff will evaluate each Country separately as each Country presents unique situation, challenges and number of members. Also in this day and age I think it would take just a few minutes chatting/talking to every applicant to see if they are fit :)

Cheers and have a great weekend!
aigarslv
Experts
Experts

Postby Scorp42 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:47 am

aigarslv wrote:
jasonh300 wrote:
aigarslv wrote:I think that 300 forum posts is a bit big number. Especially if you are applying as Android or iPhone expert!

Being heavily active in the forums needs to be a condition for being any type of expert. If you're not known to the community, and accessible via the forums, you won't be able to be an effective expert.

I am known to community ( I edit map, drive a lot, report as much as I can) and I help users as much as I can (I am available to community via PM and I also check forums when I have time). However for Latvia 300 posts is a big number and I do not want to SPAM post for numbers... Or spend my whole life in front of monitor...
Guess what - if I post 1 reply/post per working day - that is makes ONLY 260 posts in one YEAR. And of course PM's don't count.

Agreed. 1 post per working day is 260 posts. But of course.. your also stating that you would help an average of 1 person per working day. Which makes me think someone else may be a better fit. Personally, id change the criteria a little. Instead of '300 posts' id say '300 quality posts' :) lets face it... a post of "+1" PROBABLY SHOULDNT qualify.

We have all seen the results of what happens when people are promoted based entirely off numbers... country managers who used extended tools get edit counts.. and still cant figure out how to do basic edits.. and other assorted issues. I say we should raise the bar, not lower it.

Just my two cents, of course.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
Scorp42

Postby jasonh300 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:34 am

foxitrot wrote:
jasonh300 wrote:an effective expert.

Maybe "a useful expert"?

That too.
jasonh300

Postby foxitrot » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:13 am

jasonh300 wrote:an effective expert.

Maybe "a useful expert"?
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Poopstick » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:27 pm

asterix06 wrote:Well done, Shirli !

+1
Poopstick
Country Manager
Country Manager

Re: Community reorganization

Postby JorgeARestrepo » Thu May 22, 2014 2:19 am

shirlig wrote:Hi all,

Following the introduction of the reorganization plan, a few questions came up and we would like to address them:

What is The role of coordinators and experts?

The Coordinator is a sort of an ambassador. ...

The Experts are more like "ministers"

What does it involve?

Es muy importante que traduzcamos este post de shirlig al español y adicionalmente actualizemos el Wiki con dicha información
JorgeARestrepo

Postby bz2012 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:45 pm

Somewhat in the same line as my previous posts, I think that WAZE could make the various new forums much more useful if they were 'readable' by everyone while only the "designated experts" could write to them.

It would give those of us that were not considered to be experts in some particular field a chance to learn from the experts by observing the experts in action. In fact, some probably should be 'required reading' for new AMs and CMs.

And, as people often have 'hidden talents', if someone sees a topic being discussed and has some worthwhile information to contribute, they could PM the information to one of those involved in the discussion and perhaps save time, money and even, since directing people through traffic involves life and death decisions, perhaps even saving lives.

Keeping the groups 'closed' seems to have few benefits and the costs, though they may often be unknown, seem rather high.

If all of these factors have been carefully weighed and considered, then good communications would suggest that explaining the reasoning behind the decisions to the community would make the transition smoother.
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby bz2012 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:27 pm

bigbear3764 wrote:I see your point and agree. But I think that's what breaking the US into regions is suppose to do. Instead of 50K users trying to tell Waze of a problem, we report to a region manager who is in contact with one person from waze. A chain of command.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed.

I guess what I am trying to say is that for each type of information flow, a careful look at 'what needs to be communicated', 'from whom', and 'to whom', will often make it clear HOW the information can be best communicated.

Also, it is important to improve the 'signal to noise' ratio of some communications channels.
The automatic map problem reports are an example of 'poor signal to noise ratio' because many of the reports are 'noise'. The ARE some reports that ARE useful, but clearly the problem detection criteria need refinement.

Improving communications with users so that they use the hazard and map problem reporting properly is another area where looking at the communications channels available may provide an insight to where changes can be made that improve things.
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider

Next

Return to Website, Community, General