How reliable is Waze as your main 'sat nav'

Moderator: Unholy

Re: How reliable is Waze as your main 'sat nav'

Postby svx-biker » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:25 am

It all depends on the area and the local community editing there. That's the same as with EVERY navigation system. However, some big advantages are:

1. Same maps online and on the client
2. real-time traffic info
3. Most current maps (depending on the editors)

Point 1 is quite important and that is what helps me prepare the routes. As with every navigation I usually don't "just drive on" and blindly trust the voice. Especially when I've never been there I usually check the road online - if possible even with more than one provider.

Then finally on the road you always have to consider deviations, weather, blocked roads, etc. The navi is just a tool to HELP but you NEVER want to have too much confidence in it.
svx-biker
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: How reliable is Waze as your main 'sat nav'

Postby steveningelbrecht » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:55 pm

It indeed depends on the usability of the map and how active the local community is in updating and finetuning the map, i guess.
steveningelbrecht
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

How reliable is Waze as your main 'sat nav'

Postby kuduboet » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:22 pm

It all depends where you are and how active the local community and editors are. I can tell you there is a group of us in North East Ohio working hard to ensure that Waze maps are every bit as good or better than Google Maps or other Sat Nav solutions. The waypoint finding is a shortcoming, and with the loss of the Google API, it is worse as it now relies heavily on Bing. If you have a jailbroken iPhone there is an app that allows you to search for waypoints in Google maps and then navigate through Waze. I use Waze almost exclusively for many of the reasons already mentioned above.
kuduboet

Previous

Return to Website, Community, General