IPAD 2 (3g) with mobile hotspot

Post by roiegat
My family is planning a trip from PA to FL this summer and I wanted to make navigation a bit easier. My work uses IPad 2's with 3G (unactivated) that I could borrow. I have AT&T with mobile sharing so I can set up my IPhone 5 as a mobile hotspot. I was wondering if anyone has done this and had good results? I plan on getting some Ram mounts to install it on the car, but didn't want to proceed until I got some feedback from the community.

Overall, I love waze on my Iphone 5 for my normal commutes.
roiegat

POSTER_ID:10990042

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I have heard people do this before, but not myself. In theory, it should work. Question is, without assisted GPS on the iPad, how well will the GPS receiver work in the iPad? If you have mobile sharing already set up, go try it out before you buy the mounting hardware.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
roiegat wrote:According to some websites I found the iPad 2 with 3G does have the assisted GPS. So I'll give it a shot in the next coming day to test out. I'll keep you guys posted.
Yes, but to use AGPS, I think you need an active native 3G connection. I'm not sure the iPad will be able to get the data via the iPhone. But I've been surprised before! :)

For accurate GPS, you may want to consider something like this: to add to your arsenal of electronic devices active in your car. :D
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
roiegat wrote:So I'm pretty happy with results.
Nice! You should write a wiki page about it. :) :o
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CWatsonJr
I have an iPad Air (wifi only) and using my iPhone as a hot spot is not a reliable way to use Waze. It is better to just use the iPhone itself. My iPad does not have GPS but it can locate where I am while connected to a wifi signal and even through a hotspot connection (Verizon LTE) but Waze does not update fast or often enough to keep up when driving in this mode. In addition, Waze didn't show any of the traffic information on my way home today - it was too busy trying to keep up with where I was.
CWatsonJr
Send a message

Post by roiegat
According to some websites I found the iPad 2 with 3G does have the assisted GPS. So I'll give it a shot in the next coming day to test out. I'll keep you guys posted.
roiegat
Send a message

Post by roiegat
Well using a mobile hotspot it was able to provide gps info to IPad2 and get me home. As a test I turned off the mobile hotspot five minutes from home and using the AGPS itself with unactivated 3g it was still able to tell where I was and still provided step-by-step directions.

So I'm pretty happy with results. Will check out your link though. Always looking for way to improve the signal.
roiegat
Send a message

Post by WeeeZer14
I wonder how much iOS 6 not providing true GPS location to Waze has to do with this? As in, does iOS 6 improve the results by snapping to a road?
WeeeZer14
Send a message
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
[img]https:///V68te[/img]
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator