Newbie: How long do reported hazards remain on map?

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Newbie: How long do reported hazards remain on map?

Postby davipt » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:58 pm

It is getting better every day. Just keep on reporting them so Waze can collect more information to help them tweak and improve the algorithms.
Bruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ | Coordinator and Manager for Portugal | Expert iPhone and others
Forum PT | Wiki PT | Facebook PT | Twitter PT
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:04 pm

ForestPhil wrote:Are you saying that if I keep reporting, eventually it will 'stick'? :-)

Eventually Waze will have enough data to tweak their algorithms to perfection :mrgreen:
Bruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ | Coordinator and Manager for Portugal | Expert iPhone and others
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:16 pm

My bad, mixed up the original hazzard reporting with the new closure feature. The hazzards/police will go away soon, so for longer cases - hazzard, construction, events - you should try to use the new closures feature, and that's the one that the more we use, the better it will behave.
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:46 am

Spil wrote:Waze should instead change the default times for different types of reports -- perhaps a half-hour for police, an hour for roadside hazards, eight hours for construction, three weeks for roadkill (at least in my area! :P ), etc. But I doubt that this will ever happen. :cry:

Wasn't there a button to say thanks or yes or something before the 3.5? If the report has two big "yes","not there" buttons, the backend can dismiss the report faster with the not there and reset the stay-counter with the yes. I don't recall seeing that positive button for a long time, but I also don't see reports that often (lack of wazers, not lack of wazzards)
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby ewerninghaus » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:22 pm

Hello,

I also miss the variable time to vanishing of hazard warnings... Potholes= long time ... police=short time. And the likes / not exists could keep it active or kill it. That should not be a tough job to implement in the algorithm. Create something like a "expected lifetime" variable at each hazard communication (I believe this is already in place within the code).

The algorithm shall be robust enough to:
1 - do not keep the hazard "forever" because of hundreds of likes (like a police stop at a high traffic area). So a sum-up or a multiply system won't work well.
2 - do not kill the hazard too soon because nobody drove through it soon enough.
3 - do not vanish with the first "does not exist", but with a few "does not exist" go away fast enough (i.e. we cheer our leaders who finally fixed the potholes =:) or I still want that police stop alert, although a few morons reported it as non-existing because the policeman was not standing near it's vehicle.)
4 - prevent us from needing to retype the hazard daily (in case of road constructions, potholes, etc). Seriously, if it would stay longer I would take the effort to stop the car, get a good picture of the pothole and include it in the report. But not in a daily (hourly) basis to vanish few minutes later.

So my humble suggestion would be:
Every type of hazard has it´s own original latency : potholes and road constructions 3 or 4 days (enough to bridge an extended weekend), while police and weather would last for 1/2h or 1 hour.
Every "like" extends the lifetime like if it would be freshly reported (postponing the "expected lifetime"); every "doesn't exist" takes 50% of the remaining lifetime.

example1 : Pothole (3 days original latency) reported on the 5th of the month -> scheduled to be erased on the 8th (+3Days); likes on the 6, 7, 9, 11, 12, 13, 15th -> erase on the 18th; 1 doesn't exist on the 15th -> erase on the 16,5th; another doesn't exist on the 16th -> erase on the 0,25th (it was 0,5 left)

example2 : Police (1h original latency) reported at 14:00h -> scheduled to be erase at 15:00h (+1Hour); Hundreds of likes received until 17:00h -> erase at 18:00h; first doesn't exist at 17:14h -> erase at 17:37h (there were 46 minutes left, now only 23); second doesn't exist at 17:17h -> erase at 17:27h; third doesn't exist at 17:21h -> erase at 17:24h.

I hope this humble opinion helps the Waze software engineers to make our life better.

What do you think about it?

Best Regards

Edy
ewerninghaus

Newbie: How long do reported hazards remain on map?

Postby ForestPhil » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:49 pm

Hi all.

I'm new to Waze and noticed that hazards I report don't seems to stay on the map very long.

Is that because I'm doing something wrong?

I understand some hazards may be very temporary but others are clearly going to stay for at least a few days (eg pothole, roadworks) so is there a way to keep them live for longer?

It just seems odd re-reporting the same things every day I drive down the same road simply because the previous day's report has gone.

Thanks!
ForestPhil

Postby ForestPhil » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:00 pm

Are you saying that if I keep reporting, eventually it will 'stick'? :-)
ForestPhil

Postby gordonski » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:10 pm

As far as I know, this has nothing to do with any algorithm tweaking. Hazard reports appear on the map for one our or until another wazer drives across the location and hits "not there" on his client.
I am not sure whether tapping "Thanks" will prolong the life of the report.

If you report a stopped car on the shoulder, probabilty is low, that it will stay there for 24 hours, right? However construction sites mostly do not vanish within one hour, but if I'm not mistakeing, Waze does not differentiate between the types of reports, they all have a life-expectancy of 60 Minutes.

Maybe some Waze champ could confirm or correct this?

Gordonski
ImageNo stop signs, speed limitImageNobody's gonna slow me down!Image
Country Manager for Germany, Area Manager in DN/BM/AC (NRW)
Wiki | Liste aller Gemeinden/Städte
gordonski
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby popel22 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:57 pm

+1
popel22

Postby s18slider » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:59 pm

Is this still being worked?

I am still seeing the issue where I report a pothole and it disappears all by itself overnight.
Steve Smith
Samsung Galaxy S4

ImageImage
s18slider

Next

Return to Website, Community, General