Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Newbie: How long do reported hazards remain on map?

Post by ForestPhil
Hi all.

I'm new to Waze and noticed that hazards I report don't seems to stay on the map very long.

Is that because I'm doing something wrong?

I understand some hazards may be very temporary but others are clearly going to stay for at least a few days (eg pothole, roadworks) so is there a way to keep them live for longer?

It just seems odd re-reporting the same things every day I drive down the same road simply because the previous day's report has gone.

Thanks!
ForestPhil

POSTER_ID:14615749

Send a message

Post by ed_br_666
Hello,

I also miss the variable time to vanishing of hazard warnings... Potholes= long time ... police=short time. And the likes / not exists could keep it active or kill it. That should not be a tough job to implement in the algorithm. Create something like a "expected lifetime" variable at each hazard communication (I believe this is already in place within the code).

The algorithm shall be robust enough to:
1 - do not keep the hazard "forever" because of hundreds of likes (like a police stop at a high traffic area). So a sum-up or a multiply system won't work well.
2 - do not kill the hazard too soon because nobody drove through it soon enough.
3 - do not vanish with the first "does not exist", but with a few "does not exist" go away fast enough (i.e. we cheer our leaders who finally fixed the potholes =:) or I still want that police stop alert, although a few morons reported it as non-existing because the policeman was not standing near it's vehicle.)
4 - prevent us from needing to retype the hazard daily (in case of road constructions, potholes, etc). Seriously, if it would stay longer I would take the effort to stop the car, get a good picture of the pothole and include it in the report. But not in a daily (hourly) basis to vanish few minutes later.

So my humble suggestion would be:
Every type of hazard has it´s own original latency : potholes and road constructions 3 or 4 days (enough to bridge an extended weekend), while police and weather would last for 1/2h or 1 hour.
Every "like" extends the lifetime like if it would be freshly reported (postponing the "expected lifetime"); every "doesn't exist" takes 50% of the remaining lifetime.

example1 : Pothole (3 days original latency) reported on the 5th of the month -> scheduled to be erased on the 8th (+3Days); likes on the 6, 7, 9, 11, 12, 13, 15th -> erase on the 18th; 1 doesn't exist on the 15th -> erase on the 16,5th; another doesn't exist on the 16th -> erase on the 0,25th (it was 0,5 left)

example2 : Police (1h original latency) reported at 14:00h -> scheduled to be erase at 15:00h (+1Hour); Hundreds of likes received until 17:00h -> erase at 18:00h; first doesn't exist at 17:14h -> erase at 17:37h (there were 46 minutes left, now only 23); second doesn't exist at 17:17h -> erase at 17:27h; third doesn't exist at 17:21h -> erase at 17:24h.

I hope this humble opinion helps the Waze software engineers to make our life better.

What do you think about it?

Best Regards

Edy
ed_br_666
Send a message

Post by ForestPhil
Are you saying that if I keep reporting, eventually it will 'stick'? :-)
ForestPhil
Send a message

Post by gordonski
As far as I know, this has nothing to do with any algorithm tweaking. Hazard reports appear on the map for one our or until another wazer drives across the location and hits "not there" on his client.
I am not sure whether tapping "Thanks" will prolong the life of the report.

If you report a stopped car on the shoulder, probabilty is low, that it will stay there for 24 hours, right? However construction sites mostly do not vanish within one hour, but if I'm not mistakeing, Waze does not differentiate between the types of reports, they all have a life-expectancy of 60 Minutes.

Maybe some Waze champ could confirm or correct this?

Gordonski
gordonski
Send a message
No stop signs, speed limitdownload/file.php?id=44782Nobody's gonna slow me down!
Area Manager in DN/BM/AC (NRW)
Wiki | Liste aller Gemeinden/Städte

Post by s18slider
Is this still being worked?

I am still seeing the issue where I report a pothole and it disappears all by itself overnight.
s18slider
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message
South Atlantic Region Multi-State Manager (MSM)
North Carolina State Manager (SM)
Samsung Galaxy S9+ | Tesla Model 3
Waze Mentoring. Wazeopedia Profile
https://j.mp/2R4FZK2https://i.ibb.co/h9vDrY6/Beta-Logo-100px.pnghttps://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... 00k_5c.png

Post by Spil
davipt wrote:My bad, mixed up the original hazzard reporting with the new closure feature. The hazzards/police will go away soon, so for longer cases - hazzard, construction, events - you should try to use the new closures feature, and that's the one that the more we use, the better it will behave.
The problem with trying to use the new closures feature for this is that it only reports the road as closed (rather than slower or more hazardous). Waze should instead change the default times for different types of reports -- perhaps a half-hour for police, an hour for roadside hazards, eight hours for construction, three weeks for roadkill (at least in my area! :P ), etc. But I doubt that this will ever happen. :cry:
Spil
Send a message
I'm Spil, and I approve this message! :D
~ ~ AM: Upstate NY; CM: USA/Canada ~ ~
Wazing the I-86 Corridor with my Casio C771 G'zOne Commando
New York Editors: To-Do List!
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/c/c8/W ... 00k_6c.png

Post by TerrellSmith
I agree with all of the above. Just about everyday, I report three large potholes on my way to and from the office. On my way home, they have disappeared! I just wish they really had. A pothole ought to stick for at least a few days. Or until it gets fixed.

In my area, there don't seem to be very many Wazers nearby: Just checked: 117. That's not very many people to report the same pothole before it expires.
TerrellSmith
Send a message