Forum reorganization proposal

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Forum reorganization proposal

Postby harling » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:10 pm

The downside of breaking into sub-forums too early (i.e., when there isn't enough activity to warrant it) is that it takes that much longer to reach critical mass. The time to break into sub-forums is when people are having a hard time sorting through all the conversations to find the ones relevant to them; not when there is no activity at all. Until participation increases, it's best to have everyone post in a common forum, just so people know that others are around.
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.
Help wanted. Drop me a line!
Wiki Resources: Area Manager Wiki | Map Editing | Best Practices | Known Issues List
harling
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby harling » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:46 pm

jasonh300 wrote:I believe those forums already exist...they're just not subforums of "Africa" where they logically should be.

Sorry, lapse in reading comprehension on my part. It seems to be the same situation with the other "continent" forums. Is the idea behind the continent forums to add a level of hierarchy, or to provide a place for conversations regarding countries that do not already have their own sub-forum?

If the former, I assume there is a reason the move has been postponed.
If the latter, perhaps they should be renamed "Africa Other", "Europe Other" etc. to clarify.
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.
Help wanted. Drop me a line!
Wiki Resources: Area Manager Wiki | Map Editing | Best Practices | Known Issues List
harling
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby iainhouse » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:48 pm

A thought: the unlock requests sub-forums under each country should have the country identifier in their names e.g. "Unlock Requests UK".

That way, when viewing "new posts", it will be much clearer which country an unlock request is for without having to view the post. It might also help with getting people to post in the right one. ;)
UK Country Administrator • AM: London (DELETED), S Wales
Waze 3.7.2 • iPhone 4S (iOS 6.1.3) • Chrome/XP
Community Champ
ImageImage
UK WikiWaze FAQ
My name is Iain and I'm a Wazaholic. I last edited 1 hour ago.
iainhouse

Postby iainhouse » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:41 pm

I'm not complaining in any way - I know that re-organisation is underway and the forum structure is somewhat borked due to no fault of ours - but I thought I'd share the current breadcrumb trail for the UK forum:
phBB wrote:Board index ‹ Country (Language) Forums ‹ Latin America Forums ‹ Belize ‹ Guyana ‹ Suriname ‹ Asia ‹ China ‹ Hong Kong ‹ India ‹ Unlock Requests ‹ Indonesia ‹ Sumatera ‹ Kalimantan ‹ Jawa & Madura ‹ Bali & Nusa Tenggara ‹ Sulawesi & Indonesia Bagian Timur ‹ Unlock Requests ‹ Japan 日本語で。 ‹ Kawagoe/Fujimino/Saitama city areas ‹ Pakistan ‹ Malaysia ‹ Requests for new Area Manager ‹ Bulgaria ‹ Caledonie ‹ Catalunya (Catalan) ‹ Croatia ‹ World Map Editor (WME) ‹ Aplikacija: naša navigacija na mobilnom uređaju ‹ Community: (Off-Topic) ‹ Wiki/ Tutorial/ FAQ ‹ Czech Republic and Slovakia ‹ CZ: Žádosti o úpravu cest v ČR ‹ Čerpací stanice ‹ SK: Žiadosti o úpravu ciest na Slovensku ‹ SK, CZ: Stretnutia Wazerov ‹ Denmark [dansk] ‹ Egypt ‹ Estonia ‹ Finland ‹ France [Français] ‹ Nouveau ? Besoin d'aide ? Venez ici en premier ! ‹ Tutos et astuces ‹ F.A.Q. ‹ Édition de la carte ‹ Aide à l'édition ‹ Les éditeurs, parlons-en ... ‹ Bugs ‹ Demandes de "dé-lockage" ‹ Demande de mise à jour ‹ L’application sur votre smartphone ‹ Android ‹ iOS ‹ Les autres (désolé) ‹ Bugs ‹ Communauté - Les régions ‹ NORD ‹ EST ‹ OUEST ‹ ÎLE-DE-FRANCE ‹ CENTRE ‹ SUD-OUEST ‹ SUD-EST ‹ D.O.M. ‹ Traductions ‹ Pour parler d'autre chose ‹ United Kingdom

:shock:
Community Champ
ImageImage
UK WikiWaze FAQ
iainhouse

Postby iainhouse » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:52 pm

Looks very good. :D

Well done and thank you for your hard work on this.
Community Champ
ImageImage
UK WikiWaze FAQ
iainhouse

Postby jasonh300 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:25 am

+1 on the continent breakdown. The country list is growing and I'm sure the UK guys will agree with me that it takes several scrolls to get to the bottom of that list and its easy to overshoot.

Via my iPhone 3GS.
New Orleans, Louisiana
Regional Coordinator, South-Central Region
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice ... Waze chat on IRC.
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jasonh300 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:36 am

Spil wrote:
jasonh300 wrote:+1 on the continent breakdown. The country list is growing and I'm sure the UK guys will agree with me that it takes several scrolls to get to the bottom of that list and its easy to overshoot.

That's why I use a tweaked version of the "Cleaner Waze" forum cleaner script -- I have it set to show only the "United States" and "Canada" subforums on the "Countries" forum page. (Not that I think that the other countries are unimportant, of course ;) -- they're just outside of my bailiwick. :))

Send me a copy of your tweak. I use it to filter New Posts, but not the forum "tree".

Via my iPhone 3GS.
New Orleans, Louisiana
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jasonh300 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:38 pm

harling wrote:The downside of breaking into sub-forums too early (i.e., when there isn't enough activity to warrant it) is that it takes that much longer to reach critical mass. The time to break into sub-forums is when people are having a hard time sorting through all the conversations to find the ones relevant to them; not when there is no activity at all. Until participation increases, it's best to have everyone post in a common forum, just so people know that others are around.

I believe those forums already exist...they're just not subforums of "Africa" where they logically should be.
New Orleans, Louisiana
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jasonh300 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:50 pm

I think that when you go into the countries forum, you should see the 6 continents and then everything should be broken down from there. There's way too much under that main forum.

It's especially bad for us (and any other alphabetically disadvantaged country) since the U.S. is almost at the bottom of the list. It's especially hard to find using Taptalk.
New Orleans, Louisiana
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby keenefish » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:37 pm

I think free phpBB boards have a terrible layout compared to Vbulletin but they also cost $249 for the licsense.
Keene
keenefish

PreviousNext

Return to Website, Community, General