Forum reorganization proposal

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Forum reorganization proposal

Postby mwburn » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:09 pm

While I kind of agree with you (there's not much I can do about requests outside my area), I think what you said in your statement (some requests unanswered if Level 5 or higher aren't checking each regions forums) about the downside is a strong reason that it's organized this way. Maybe at some future date, when there are sufficient "high level" editors in each region/state, it may happen. But for now we heavily rely on the CM's in certain regions.
mwburn

Postby MGODLEW » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:29 pm

I am proposing getting rid of the the US Update/Unlock forum and breaking it up by region. I.E.: US Northwest, US Southwest, US Midwest, US South Central, US Northeast, US Southeast. With about 20 posts per day on the US Unlock/Update forum its easy for unanswered requests to get lost or overlooked after a day or so. Also, If I live in New York....seeing that a very few number of editors have the rank of level 5 or higher who can edit US wide, seeing an unlock request for level 3 in Texas is rather worthless even if the editor is a level 3 in New York. Nothing can be done by the editor in New York unless he's recently traveled to that part of Texas. The only downside I can think of is that having multiple forums might be confusing to some and "potentially" might level some requests unanswered if Level 5 or higher aren't checking each regions forums, but I feel like an unanswered request at the top of the list is better than an unanswered request several pages in on the forum.

I created a separate post without knowing that this post already existed. :oops: Here is the link to the post for reference in case editors post comments on there.
MGODLEW
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby kpouer » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:14 am

In fact the main idea of my post was to have subforums for French and English under Africa.
As most african country will not be very active on the forum, it is interesting to regroup them by languages.
And since almost half Africa speaks french and the other half english ...

And while doing this why not moving the existing african country forum under Africa (but it is not mandatory, just an idea)

I had the idea because I saw that under Africa only one user was there, from Kenya and nobody to answer him. Morroco do not have a forum while Algeria and Tunisia have one, but those are not very active.
kpouer
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:11 am

The intent was to have parent "continental" (global regions) as parent forums. However, every time I tried to organize this, bugs or corruption in the DB caused massive forum failures and forums appearing in the wrong places so I gave up.

Maybe I should try again...
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jasonh300 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:50 pm

I think that when you go into the countries forum, you should see the 6 continents and then everything should be broken down from there. There's way too much under that main forum.

It's especially bad for us (and any other alphabetically disadvantaged country) since the U.S. is almost at the bottom of the list. It's especially hard to find using Taptalk.
jasonh300

Postby harling » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:46 pm

jasonh300 wrote:I believe those forums already exist...they're just not subforums of "Africa" where they logically should be.

Sorry, lapse in reading comprehension on my part. It seems to be the same situation with the other "continent" forums. Is the idea behind the continent forums to add a level of hierarchy, or to provide a place for conversations regarding countries that do not already have their own sub-forum?

If the former, I assume there is a reason the move has been postponed.
If the latter, perhaps they should be renamed "Africa Other", "Europe Other" etc. to clarify.
harling

Postby jasonh300 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:38 pm

harling wrote:The downside of breaking into sub-forums too early (i.e., when there isn't enough activity to warrant it) is that it takes that much longer to reach critical mass. The time to break into sub-forums is when people are having a hard time sorting through all the conversations to find the ones relevant to them; not when there is no activity at all. Until participation increases, it's best to have everyone post in a common forum, just so people know that others are around.

I believe those forums already exist...they're just not subforums of "Africa" where they logically should be.
jasonh300

Postby harling » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:10 pm

The downside of breaking into sub-forums too early (i.e., when there isn't enough activity to warrant it) is that it takes that much longer to reach critical mass. The time to break into sub-forums is when people are having a hard time sorting through all the conversations to find the ones relevant to them; not when there is no activity at all. Until participation increases, it's best to have everyone post in a common forum, just so people know that others are around.
harling

Postby kpouer » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:36 pm

Hi,
I would like to talk about a change in Country Language Forums for Africa.
Most african countries do not have their own forum.
There is a forum for Africa, but only one user talked in it (in English).
I think it is not very nice for African users and I think we could create some sub-forums for them.

First I would move existing African country forums to be sub-forum for Africa:

Algeria, Egypt, Tunisia and South Africa (that's all if I didn't miss any).
And also create two sub-forums:
Français and English because those two languages are spoken in most African countries (so they could discuss as I think editing rules should not be be so different in African countries.)
What do you think of that ?
kpouer
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby Mynios » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:30 pm

Yes, but the breadcrumb navigation doesn't work proper.
Mynios
300K edits
300K  edits

Next

Return to Website, Community, General