Forum reorganization proposal

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Wazers,

The majority of this post below is taken from a couple different posts in a thread I started with the Waze Champs about reorganizing the forums. This is for your visibility and commentary. Waze has accepted this organization and we look to implement it in the next week or so. However, I would like some more community feedback, especially those with experience with other large forums.

I'd like to know if you agree with one of my main points, "...we should be open to the users posting a question or issue in a forum which is directly connected to where they experienced the error..." That is, does this make sense? Or does it make things too loose?

Thanks
-Alan

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Forums are split into multiple subcategories, the uses of which are overlapping and confusing. Like the general forum has a "Bugs" sub-forum which we often redirect people to the Client or Map forum instead. From and end-user perspective, coming into the forums, which are spread far and wide, appears daunting.

My proposal is to make the forums more friendly to the end-users who are coming here to find answers and ask questions and post feature requests. To that end, I suggest dramatic pruning, mostly of subforums. To my way of thinking, we should be open to the users posting a question or issue in a forum which is directly connected to where they experienced the error.

The proposal below of the forum structure also shows how existing forums will be collapsed. Forums to be combined are to the right of the <- and in italics. Some forums have a 1:1 match, but many don't. Some I am also recommending just renaming. You can figure these out by seeing there is just a single forum collapsing into one new one and the name is substantially similar.
  • Official Announcements <- Announcements and Updates
  • New Here? Go here first
  • Waze App <- Client, User Live Reports and Road Validation, General Options and Usability
    • Search <- Search
    • Navigation <- Navigation
    • App Beta Testing <- Beta
  • Waze Editor <- Map, View and Search, Editing, General Options and Usability, Help When Waze...x3
    • WME Beta Testing <- WME - beta group, Beta editor experts
      • Papyrus - alpha forum [closed]
  • Website, Community, General <- Community, Newcomers and General Discussion, Thoughts and Suggestions, Bugs
    • Ranks and Points <- Permissions, Ranks and Points
    • Waze Global Champs <- waze champs forum
    • Wiki Updates <- Wiki changes
    • Off-topic <- Off-topic
  • Country (Language) Forums <- Country (Language) Forums
    • Hierarchy remains
    • United States (and other countries)
      • Unlock/Update Requests (new forum)
  • Localization <- Localization experts
Forums recommended to Archive:
  • Map/Editing/Unlock Requests
  • Map/Editing/Update Requests
  • Wazeperts

The reason I would like to see changes made is mostly for the end-user experience, but the reduction of compartmentalization of information is going to be reduced and help us all. I often find the "new posts" in the web and "recent" view in Tapatalk doesn't actually show me everything that is unread that I want to see. By reducing the places we click and look into, the faster and hopefully better, our forum experience will be. Same goes for the majority of users.

The new "read me first" forum needs to be populated with a handful of threads about the usage of each forum and the places in the wiki which need to be read/searched first. That the forum they post in should be the same as where they experienced the problem (App, Editor, Website) As well as pointing them to using the nanorep tool. A thread specifically about why the Country(Language) forums exist and when they should be used needs to be posted in this area.

There should be new rules established and posted setting some expectations of the end users. Information like Waze (the company) doesn't often respond to most posts would be good.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

POSTER_ID:701618

Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
razor2k wrote:My only recommendation would be to move the wiki section to the editing forum ...make sense?

Thoughts?
My thought about that is that the wiki is (supposed to be) about more than just editing. I don't necessarily see it as editor-specific.

Tapatalk made me do it.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
CBenson wrote:The more I think about this, the more I think the "Help When Waze ... x3" posts should really be migrated to the "Navigation" forum.
I could support that.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
iainhouse wrote:A thought: the unlock requests sub-forums under each country should have the country identifier in their names e.g. "Unlock Requests UK".
I had been considering that! Hadn't landed on a decision, though. If your post gets 12 thanks, it will be so. :)
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Here's an update to the forum layout. Please make note of the change to adding a layer of "Regional Geography"-based splits before you get to the countries. For the countries breakdown by Region first, I am proposing to follow http://www.internetworldstats.com/list1.htm.

• Official Announcements <- Announcements and Updates
  • New Here? Go here first
  • Waze App <- Client, User Live Reports and Road Validation, General Options and Usability
    • Search <- Search
    • Navigation <- Navigation, Help When Waze...x3 (from Map forum)
    • App Beta Testing <- Beta
  • Waze Editor <- Map, View and Search, Editing, General Options and Usability
    • WME Beta Testing <- WME - beta group, Beta editor experts
      • Papyrus - alpha forum [closed]
  • Website, Community, General <- Community, Newcomers and General Discussion, Thoughts and Suggestions, Bugs
    • Ranks and Points <- Permissions, Ranks and Points
    • Waze Global Champs <- waze champs forum
    • Wiki Updates <- Wiki changes
    • Off-topic <- Off-topic
  • Country (Language) Forums <- Country (Language) Forums
    • Africa
    • Asia
    • Americas and Caribbean
    • Europe
    • Middle East
    • Oceania
    • Localization <- Localization experts
    Forums recommended to Archive:
    • Map/Editing/Unlock Requests
    • Map/Editing/Update Requests
    • Wazeperts
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
In case you were wondering, the Country (language) forums are on the move.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
orbitc wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:In case you were wondering, the Country (language) forums are on the move.
Who is organizing the move of Turkey? It's already in the wrong place.
Screen Shot 2013-04-03 at 7.18.35 PM.png
There was some problem with this I've already noted and escalated to Waze. If you go through the hierarchy, it's not really there, but something is making it think it is. There is something really wrong with Malaysia that is causing the forum to think it has subforums which aren't really there.

What alerted me initially to there being some corruption is that if you drill through Asia->Malaysia->Requests for AM, there will be an "empty" forum at the top which I can't explain. http://www.waze.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=279
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
orbitc wrote:Thanks. Also, it shows under Asia not Europe. I guess that's also because of Malaysia?
Yes. Turkey isn't inside any regional subforum yet. It still shows in the main Country subforum as it hasn't been moved. The breadcrumbs at the top should always match what you click through and right now, several countries do not, which I cannot explain at all. :?
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
This supposedly small and innocuous change has turned into a clusterf***. I've given as much info to Waze as I can and they are going to need to work on the back-end to fix what looks like some corruption/mixed forum pointer references. I've got no idea.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
davipt wrote:That's why I said "not about you Alan", everything is screwed for some time, so if I were you I'd had refrained from touching anything until the mess is sorted out first.
I understand you're not pointing fingers at me directly, but I'm upset the existing issues were exacerbated by moving things around today.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message