Forum reorganization proposal

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Forum reorganization proposal

Postby CBenson » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:55 pm

The more I think about this, the more I think the "Help When Waze ... x3" posts should really be migrated to the "Navigation" forum.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Altantic, US
Verizon, Droid Razr Maxx HD, Android 4.1.2, Waze 3.7.9.909
CBenson
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby cbwierda » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:20 am

razor2k wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
razor2k wrote:My only recommendation would be to move the wiki section to the editing forum ...make sense?

Thoughts?

My thought about that is that the wiki is (supposed to be) about more than just editing. I don't necessarily see it as editor-specific.

Tapatalk made me do it.

Fair enough...Personally I use the wiki pretty much only for editing. But I realize that may not be the case for everyone :)

Guess that's why it's called a "proposal" :lol:

A new user would expect information on the client and web site functions to be there as well. It was one of the first places I went to figure out how Waze worked. I went back there when I wanted to start editing. Also, it provides a good place to put known issues near where the user is reading about the proper operation/process.
Traveller
Ann Arbor, MI, USA
cbwierda

Postby davipt » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:37 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:There was some problem with this I've already noted and escalated to Waze. If you go through the hierarchy, it's not really there, but something is making it think it is. There is something really wrong with Malaysia that is causing the forum to think it has subforums which aren't really there.

What alerted me initially to there being some corruption is that if you drill through Asia->Malaysia->Requests for AM, there will be an "empty" forum at the top which I can't explain. viewforum.php?f=279

The more people touch the forum (not about you Alan) the more it gets completely screwed.
viewtopic.php?f=294&t=45192
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=40658&start=250#p407400

There is no sense at all on the current structure (the corrupted one). I can't even point my editors to the editing sub-forum from Portugal because I can't find it unless I go to "view your posts" and search for a post of mine over there. Can you spot it on the select dropdown at the end of this page?
Bruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ | Coordinator and Manager for Portugal | Expert iPhone and others
Forum PT | Wiki PT | Facebook PT | Twitter PT
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:09 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:This supposedly small and innocuous change has turned into a clusterf***. I've given as much info to Waze as I can and they are going to need to work on the back-end to fix what looks like some corruption/mixed forum pointer references. I've got no idea.

That's why I said "not about you Alan", everything is screwed for some time, so if I were you I'd had refrained from touching anything until the mess is sorted out first. And as you so correctly say, I'm also sure it has gotten into a point that no web interface will be able to solve it, they will need to go directly into the DB and clean it up. Maybe it's just something as easy as a forum row entry with a null forum id that is putting those empty sub-foruns over several forums and screwing up the code into thinking the parent or child of a forum is the wrong one.

As it is today, it's unusable. I'd rather tell my guys "forum 59 and forget everything else, including the so called sub-foruns you may see on top"
Bruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ | Coordinator and Manager for Portugal | Expert iPhone and others
Forum PT | Wiki PT | Facebook PT | Twitter PT
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby enhket » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:11 pm

iainhouse wrote:A thought: the unlock requests sub-forums under each country should have the country identifier in their names e.g. "Unlock Requests UK".

That way, when viewing "new posts", it will be much clearer which country an unlock request is for without having to view the post. It might also help with getting people to post in the right one. ;)

That would be useful. They can install this mod to do that. It works for "new posts" list too.
Christopher Enhket
Languages: Español, English, Français, Português.
Coordinator, Beta editor/Editing expert, Campeón.
Communities established: 8
enhket
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby enhket » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:57 pm

It is an issue with the country language forums only. Waze app, community, and other ones are working fine.
Christopher Enhket
enhket
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby enhket » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:22 pm

merida-scv wrote:I love the new streamlined forum structure and appreciate the hard work all y'all are doing to make it better. Hang in there.

That is Alan getting some free time :lol:
Christopher Enhket
enhket
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby enhket » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:56 pm

cant view it, but the direct link works
Christopher Enhket
enhket
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby enhket » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:12 pm

Hope they don't rollback the changes you did, it looks good so far
Christopher Enhket
enhket
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby failsafe » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:12 pm

Thanks. It might need another tweak down the road, but it's a far sight better than the mess we've got now.

Any chance the outdated information on the main community page will be dealt with? Under Recent Map Updates I've been seeing that Popeye7751 made some road geometry changes in Tyler, Texas for... well, the past 7 months. Not close to professional-looking at all.
Area manager: Chicago Metro Area, Kenosha, and Saint Louis
failsafe

PreviousNext

Return to Website, Community, General