Forum reorganization proposal

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Forum reorganization proposal

Postby kentsmith9 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:06 pm

Alan, I was talking to jemay about one of the sub forums with a suggestion. His moderator controls do not appear to let him do what we think is possible, so let me propose it here and we can find an alternate solution.

Problem:
1. When a new forum reader starts drilling into the US forums, they may think they need to go all the way down to their state to post a question.
2. When a new forum reader comes to the US forum they may post a question at the US level, when it should be in the subforums for a region or a state.

Proposal:
An announcement thread (or at least a forum sticky) for all US forums and subforums (all the way down to the state forums) with basic guidelines for when to post at each of the levels. The post would be identical for all the forums, so hopefully there is a way to make one post appear in all sub forums below it.

Now if this is currently posted somewhere, I have not run across it so likely other less OCD forum followers will also not see it (and we already discussed how much I am spending here in the forums at the disgust of other members of my family. :mrgreen: )
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kodi75 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:21 am

Suggestion for the Country Forums:
    - Continent
    - - Country
Or something along those lines. I see Latin America has it's own sub-forum. So maybe "Continents" would not be used to group the countries: perhaps "Regions." And, not to step on any toes, but isn't Brazil a part of Latin America?
kodi75

Postby kpouer » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:36 pm

Hi,
I would like to talk about a change in Country Language Forums for Africa.
Most african countries do not have their own forum.
There is a forum for Africa, but only one user talked in it (in English).
I think it is not very nice for African users and I think we could create some sub-forums for them.

First I would move existing African country forums to be sub-forum for Africa:

Algeria, Egypt, Tunisia and South Africa (that's all if I didn't miss any).
And also create two sub-forums:
Français and English because those two languages are spoken in most African countries (so they could discuss as I think editing rules should not be be so different in African countries.)
What do you think of that ?
Area manager entre Paris et l'Auvergne
Country Manager France
Country Manager Algérie http://www.facebook.com/WazeAlgerie & twitter: http://twitter.com/WazeAlgerie
kpouer
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kpouer » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:14 am

In fact the main idea of my post was to have subforums for French and English under Africa.
As most african country will not be very active on the forum, it is interesting to regroup them by languages.
And since almost half Africa speaks french and the other half english ...

And while doing this why not moving the existing african country forum under Africa (but it is not mandatory, just an idea)

I had the idea because I saw that under Africa only one user was there, from Kenya and nobody to answer him. Morroco do not have a forum while Algeria and Tunisia have one, but those are not very active.
Area manager entre Paris et l'Auvergne
Country Manager France
Country Manager Algérie http://www.facebook.com/WazeAlgerie & twitter: http://twitter.com/WazeAlgerie
kpouer
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby merida-scv » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:02 pm

I love the new streamlined forum structure and appreciate the hard work all y'all are doing to make it better. Hang in there.
merida-scv

Postby MGODLEW » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:29 pm

I am proposing getting rid of the the US Update/Unlock forum and breaking it up by region. I.E.: US Northwest, US Southwest, US Midwest, US South Central, US Northeast, US Southeast. With about 20 posts per day on the US Unlock/Update forum its easy for unanswered requests to get lost or overlooked after a day or so. Also, If I live in New York....seeing that a very few number of editors have the rank of level 5 or higher who can edit US wide, seeing an unlock request for level 3 in Texas is rather worthless even if the editor is a level 3 in New York. Nothing can be done by the editor in New York unless he's recently traveled to that part of Texas. The only downside I can think of is that having multiple forums might be confusing to some and "potentially" might level some requests unanswered if Level 5 or higher aren't checking each regions forums, but I feel like an unanswered request at the top of the list is better than an unanswered request several pages in on the forum.

I created a separate post without knowing that this post already existed. :oops: Here is the link to the post for reference in case editors post comments on there.
Rank 5 Waze Mentor | PA Forum | PA Wiki | Waze FAQ | iPhone 5s: JB iOS 7.0.6 |
Area Managing: State of Pennsylvania
MGODLEW
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby mwburn » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:09 pm

While I kind of agree with you (there's not much I can do about requests outside my area), I think what you said in your statement (some requests unanswered if Level 5 or higher aren't checking each regions forums) about the downside is a strong reason that it's organized this way. Maybe at some future date, when there are sufficient "high level" editors in each region/state, it may happen. But for now we heavily rely on the CM's in certain regions.
I'd be ranked higher if I drove more than 5 miles to work. :-(
But I only have to drive 5 miles to work. :-)

mwburn

Postby Mynios » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:33 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
asterix06 wrote:Country Language Forum I can't see it. Did we loose it again ?

See my last post. Corruption in database referencing forum parent ids I think which still existed caused the country forums to be not visible in the interface. They are still there but not accessible from the forum front-end. I've notified Yonatan and Shirli.

*OMG*
Local Champ (DACH)
Mentoring
Mynios
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby Mynios » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:30 pm

Yes, but the breadcrumb navigation doesn't work proper.
Local Champ (DACH)
Mentoring
Mynios
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby orbitc » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:21 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:In case you were wondering, the Country (language) forums are on the move.

Who is organizing the move of Turkey? It's already in the wrong place.

Screen Shot 2013-04-03 at 7.18.35 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-04-03 at 7.18.35 PM.png (25.5 KiB) Viewed 4570 times
Regional Coordinator for Northeast (DE, NJ, NY, PA) & New England (CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT)
CM: U.S.A. & T.C.
• ßeta Tester
• AT&T | iOS 7.0.4 | Waze v3.7.9.914

WME | Mentoring | AM | USA
orbitc
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Website, Community, General