California Court Bans Checking Smartphones Maps While Drivin

Moderator: Unholy

Re: California Court Bans Checking Smartphones Maps While Dr

Postby SillyGoat » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:39 am

Usually I am an advocate for safer roads and less distracted driving. However, using a GPS system like Waze actually increases my vigilance and attention on the road. I am on the lookout for hazards and traffic up ahead. I glance to my map to make sure every thing is okay, and it serves as a constant visual reminder of driving safely.
Come contribute to the San Diego Wazers group on Reddit!
http://www.reddit.com/r/SanDiegoWazers/
SillyGoat

Postby xd-data-ii » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:52 am

Waze just needs the buttons to be bigger and better use of screen area to quickly get rid of menus and pop up.
The share drive for example feature needs an option added of one click message/email etc to a set up favorite contact(s) or groups of contacts. It's dangerous and cumbersome the way it is and not many people will do this whilst vehicle is stationary. Also nice to have it (as an option) message people individually than as a message sent as a group text that everyone gets replies to.
A custom voice command for this would also be nice.
xd-data-ii

Postby greenstreetm » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:27 pm

I often feel pulled in both directions with issues like this. On one hand, I don't like the government telling me what I can and can't do for things as small and minute as when and how I can use my cell phone. I trust myself to have enough of the previously mentioned common sense to decide when it is and isn't safe to use it myself. On the other hand, I don't trust anyone else on the road to have that same common sense, so Instead of seeing these types of laws as taking away my freedoms, I can look at them as protecting me from the stupidity of others. Hard to know what is 'best' overall.
Area Manager: Bellingham, WA
iPhone 6+ - AT&T - iOS 9.2.1 | Waze v4.2.0.2
greenstreetm
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby PhantomSoul » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:36 am

Doesn't California already ban attaching anything to the windshield or otherwise mounting it in way that it would protrude over the profile of the windshield (except of course, for your rear view mirror)?

In all fairness, even glancing for a split-second at your "sub-windshield-mounted" phone screen, without taking your hands off the wheel or trying to dictate anything to the phone, is technically a distraction from driving. I don't know, however, how any court will practically ever be able to prove that a wreck was caused specifically because someone just glanced at their phone for a split second.
ImageImageImageImage
Waze Editing Manual | USA Road Types | USA Forum
Verizon iPhone 6 / iOS (latest) / Waze (latest/beta)
PhantomSoul
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby kentsmith9 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:30 am

This is a typical case of the media blowing the truth out of proportion. If you read the actual court document, you will find:
Sup. Ct. Appeal No. 0002345 wrote:Officer Jack Graham and appellant each testified that, while driving, appellant was cited for looking at a map on his cellular phone while holding the phone in his hand.

Frankly at that point holding the phone in your hand is no where near having it mounted on the dash.

There was additional comments at the end of the document that relate to "other things" your hands operate in the car that are equally distracting, but not currently illegal to perform while driving. Think about the dozens of knobs and switches in the car that you periodically take your eyes off the road to adjust or view. Also, think about all the built in navigation systems that permit touching while driving (excluding entering addresses) and for dash mounted versions as well.

My take is that because he was "holding it in his hands" he clearly violated the spirit of the law and that is what the document says. If it is mounted and you happen to touch the screen (not entering an address or typing a description of a map error), there is no difference from doing the same with dash mounted or in-dash GPS devices.

However, given that I have already been pulled over for having a damn phone at my ear as I pulled up to a stop light with a copy on the other corner, I will certain be more than cautious touching anything on my dash when I see a Cop reported ahead. :mrgreen:
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby gohamstergo » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:00 pm

Everyone likes finding a scapegoat. Phones are to blame for every crash, video games for every shooting...I'll continue to do what I want in my personal vehicle. I don't see them banning talking to a passenger in the car about complicated topics that distract you. Don't see eating while driving getting banned either. So, whatever...it all makes no sense to me.
gohamstergo

Postby cougargt » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:03 pm

I agree that it is both good and bad. I've been slowed down to many times by people using their phones and not paying any mind to what's happening around them. I've been using bluetooth for years and firmly believe everyone should. Also made a custom mount that lets me just shift my eyes a little and have full view of my phone screen. It really couldn't be any more natural to use it. You could almost say my eyes never leave the road. So if you're setup before you start driving there's very little reason to touch the screen. Other than to alert everyone about the cop that just pulled you over for obstructed vision with your phone in the windshield. California has always been on the bleeding edge, I think they've lost so much blood that their brain is shutting down.
cougargt

Postby harling » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:20 am

cougargt wrote:California has always been on the bleeding edge...

Or the bleating edge, as the case may be.
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.
harling

Previous

Return to Website, Community, General