Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Difficult to contact editors? Lack of discussion on opinion

Post by jeedo
Just wondered what the community has had with respect to editors that have gone quiet and aren't responding either to the forums or to PMs.

(Edit 2013-05-06) Situation is that the level 4 editor is reverting changes made by a level 3 editor. However no feedback is forthcoming from the level 4 editor who is actively reverting changes. The level 3 has tried to contact the level 4 but they haven't responded.

One route, more short-term would be to ask the waze gods to suspend their account. Sounds pretty harsh but perhaps the only way to really get their attention. Or maybe a softer approach and demote them back to level 3.

The other, which I've seen Malaysia take this approach, is to take over the process of levelling up users to Area Managers (level 3) and also level 4 requests (and of course level 5 country manager). The change here though would be that our CMs would need to be more involved in that process.

What's your experience been like?
jeedo

POSTER_ID:14461811

Send a message
Last edited by jeedo on Sun May 05, 2013 11:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post by gettingthere
IMO just because someone has previously edited a segment on the map doesn't mean they 'own' the segment nor need to respond to PM's. Waze is a community project. There should always be ways for other editors to edit the map going forward.

Yes, as a contributor to the Waze map you should read the Wiki and do your best to contribute within the guidelines.

I don't see why someone who wants to contribute and edit when they want should be getting their editing rights suspended for not responding to a PM. If there is a problem with someone's edits one of the area coordinators should be contacted.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by gettingthere
jasonh300 wrote:It usually a little more involved than not replying to a single PM. It problem editors who are doing more harm than good who can't be contacted and continue to cause problems.
Editors that are consistently not following guidelines are doing 'bad' mapping is a different thing.

I am referring to something like this - using myself as an example:

* 1 year ago I edited a segment on a major highway which is locked to level 5 per standards
* Now the road needs to change due to construction
* It should not be expected that I should have to respond to a PM to unlock the road
* I should not be threatened to lose my editing rank or editing rights - there are other ways to get this resolved by using the unlock requests forum, etc.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
jasonh300 wrote:Well, the vibe I got from the OP is editors who are causing problems, not following guidelines, etc. Maybe I read between the lines too much. I didn't consider that it was referring to a simple unlock request.
You could be right.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
So it sounds like you should:

* Screen shot some examples of what is going on
* Compare to the Wiki guidelines of why the mapping is not correct
* Contact Waze with your examples to see if they can help to contact the other editor on your behalf

It's important to document what is going on so Waze support can understand what the issue is. Waze will push back if you don't have these issues documented.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
harling wrote:We need a permalink. Until we see the specifics, we don't know which editor is actually editing against guidelines. Maybe it's a judgment call situation.
Good idea. Let the community take a look before escalating to Waze for help.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by harling
jeedo wrote:In this situation it is. The problem editor is reverting edits back (against guidelines). In addition they are locking the segments at a higher level.
We need a permalink. Until we see the specifics, we don't know which editor is actually editing against guidelines. Maybe it's a judgment call situation.
I think the preference is to open up a discussion first to find out why. But if the editor doesn't respond to PMs there's not much else available to make the editor respond.
Editors should be expected to respond to reasonable questions about their work, as part of the job description--and if a disagreement cannot be resolved, it should not be ignored, but appealed to a CM who is familiar with that part of the country.

If an editor refuses to respond to a CM, then I agree he leaves little choice but to disable the account as a last resort, until he does respond.
harling
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/a/ad/W ... os-sig.png
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.

Post by jasonh300
In the US, we revoke unresponsive editors editing rights. So far, they respond pretty quickly once that happens.

Via my iPhone 4S.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
It usually a little more involved than not replying to a single PM. It problem editors who are doing more harm than good who can't be contacted and continue to cause problems.

Via my iPhone 4S.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
Well, the vibe I got from the OP is editors who are causing problems, not following guidelines, etc. Maybe I read between the lines too much. I didn't consider that it was referring to a simple unlock request.

Via my iPhone 4S.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message