Facebook rumored to be buying GPS app Waze for upto$1billion

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Facebook rumored to be buying GPS app Waze for upto$1bil

Postby jasonh300 » Fri May 10, 2013 4:12 pm

What I was hoping was that Waze would become the next giant like Google or Facebook! Then they could gobble up all the new startups.
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
South-Central Regional Coordinator
(LA/MS/AR...contact karlcr9911 for TX/OK related issues)
U.S. Champ, Global Champ
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice
Ask me about Louisiana Editors Chat in Google Hangouts!
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby JohnDoe75 » Fri May 10, 2013 5:37 pm

jasonh300 wrote:What I was hoping was that Waze would become the next giant like Google or Facebook! Then they could gobble up all the new startups.

+1

Against FB too but 1 billion for sure on one hand and the risk of "a mode fading" (myspace) on the other hand ... I'll take the money too.
CM France
RM IDF - AM Paris France
AM Trentino, Italia
AM North & Center Portugal
AM Singapore
JohnDoe75
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby nnote » Fri May 10, 2013 8:13 pm

Dear Mark Z,
I want at minumum .25 cents for each edit I've contributed to your possibly acquired navigation program. So far that's $92,550. If you request that I continue to spend my personal time improving your product my rate will continue to be .25 cents per edit and also an additional $15 per hour. Thank you.
(If waze stays waze I will continue for free on my own enjoyment and desire to help humanity)
USA Territories Regional Coordinator : USA Champ : L6 State Manager Arizona
G+ Waze Arizona
Waze Arizona Twitter
nnote
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby GPSRitter » Fri May 10, 2013 9:23 pm

nnote wrote:Dear Mark Z,
I want at minumum .25 cents for each edit I've contributed to your possibly acquired navigation program. So far that's $92,550. If you request that I continue to spend my personal time improving your product my rate will continue to be .25 cents per edit and also an additional $15 per hour. Thank you.
(If waze stays waze I will continue for free on my own enjoyment and desire to help humanity)

Will join you in that request :)
But I`ll do it in €-cent ... :twisted:

Nevertheless, although I have a FB account it is not linked to Waze (and definitly will not be). If waze sells to FB I`m probably out of here too.
GPSRitter
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby JorgeARestrepo » Sat May 11, 2013 1:39 am

nnote wrote:Dear Mark Z,

I completely agree with you. No sense makes Waze sold our maps without compensating our work, perhaps with some papers of Facebook!!!
Last edited by JorgeARestrepo on Tue May 14, 2013 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JorgeARestrepo - Colombia
Country Manager
JorgeARestrepo

Postby eichmat » Sat May 11, 2013 2:11 am

dmcconachie wrote:People have to make a living, servers have to be paid for. Nothing is free.

And that is why I'm willing to put up with Taco Bell ads popping up when I'm at a traffic light and seeing Ramada and Taco Bell locations highlighted on my maps...

If this deal goes through and my map fills up with other businesses (which, with me living near a large indoor mall and a two-mile long strip of strip malls and stores), I'll go back to Google Navigator (or find something else)...

I also foresee facebook prioritizing "partner" gas stations on the "gas station" list.

I'm not sure that I'll leave if this deal happens... It would depend on the terms (read that as impact on the contributors).

I must note: Facebook does rely on end users to improve their product (e.g. points of interest).
eichmat

Postby eichmat » Sat May 11, 2013 2:42 am

jasomslon wrote:at least you can see what good is closed access to crowdsourced data good for. luckily i did not contribute a single poi/line/polygon to waze so no effort wasted there :-)

You may not have explicitly contributed, but every mile/kilometer you drove helped Waze improve the map... anytime you drove through a turn that wasn't known allowed a map editor to make a correction.

I'm quite sure that if you use Google's option, you're most likely making the same contributions...
eichmat

Postby Boiler_81 » Sat May 11, 2013 2:53 am

I have put a lot of time into Waze editing. I am currently #16 with 1,850,000. I can not stand FB due to their lack of privacy. I will be going back to Google Maps if this happens.
Boiler_81

Postby razor2k » Sat May 11, 2013 5:03 am

Boiler_81 wrote:I have put a lot of time into Waze editing. I am currently #16 with 1,850,000. I can not stand FB due to their lack of privacy. I will be going back to Google Maps if this happens.

Kudos for ranking #16!

Just goes to show the disdain for FB!

People should take notice:eek:

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
Area Manager: Pinellas, Pasco & Hillsborough Counties FL
Phone: Samsung GS 2, Sprint, Android 4.1.2
Waze: 3.7.2

Waze FAQ...Best Map Editing Practice...Correct Server?...User Manual
razor2k

Postby jasomslon » Sat May 11, 2013 10:01 am

Boiler_81 wrote:I have put a lot of time into Waze editing. I am currently #16 with 1,850,000. I can not stand FB due to their lack of privacy. I will be going back to Google Maps if this happens.

why google maps? wouldn't contribution to openstreetmap make a lot more sense?
jasomslon

PreviousNext

Return to Website, Community, General