Facebook rumored to be buying GPS app Waze for upto$1billion

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Facebook rumored to be buying GPS app Waze for upto$1bil

Postby alphatauri » Thu May 09, 2013 9:48 pm

I'm highly disappointed by the news! Anyone but Facebook! I'd rather pay for Waze than be "incorporated" by Facebook! Why? I'm a map editor and I've got a feeling that my hard work is just being wasted. I barely tolerate Facebook as long as it keeps hands off me but I can't even think of what's gonna happen with Waze after Facebook gets its paws on it! Probably everybody will know when and where we are driving and privacy options will be so unreachable that only the most tech-savvy will be able to switch them off properly. A mere thought of it sends a shiver down my spine! Please, DO NOT DO IT! Is there anything we, the users, can do about that? Why won't you choose Google instead? Could a boycott help?
alphatauri

Postby Merida-SCV » Thu May 09, 2013 9:26 pm

jmp316 wrote:
gettingthere wrote:Another day, another takeover rumor. Who cares who owns what? If it stays as a 'free' navigation application and does what you want, use it.

Such big threats. "I will quit being your free customer if you do this." Funny.

Without the users, the are no map updates, driving data, no one to advertise to. I suspect users leaving waze in large quantities would be a concern...

Ah, but FB users will flock to Waze in even larger quantities.
Merida-SCV

Postby Merida-SCV » Thu May 09, 2013 9:20 pm

I'll stay. The online universe already has all of my info and I'm under no illusion that anything I share is in any way protected by anyone, regardless of what they promise.
Merida-SCV

Postby dmcconachie » Thu May 09, 2013 9:08 pm

People have to make a living, servers have to be paid for. Nothing is free.
dmcconachie

Postby dmcconachie » Thu May 09, 2013 8:18 pm

robenroute wrote:As has been said before, it's the users who supply a big chunk of the data. And it's those same users that are of interest to FB. They (would) make money through me. I supply Waze with lots of map data, traffic data and what have you. FB's business model is based on commodification (of users): turning users into production assets. That is something I'm very much against. They can do that, but without me.

Waze/Facebook, both intend to monetize it the same way.
dmcconachie

Postby dmcconachie » Thu May 09, 2013 7:48 pm

Facebook has pretty granular security settings these days, share what you want, including nothing whatsoever if that's your thing. That and I do wonder what secrets all you people so dead against it actually have. Lighten up. There's more of a security issue using waze itself than you could ever have from being a 100% passive FB user.

Sometimes I wonder if it's just fashionable to hate FB.

The argument of not wanting to edit for Facebook is just as empty, why? Do you think you'll get any more or less in return vs what you get from waze as an independent entity? Chances are with leveraging FB's userbase you actually get a better, more full experience in return.

So in summary, stop being outraged for the sake of it.

Cue drama...
dmcconachie

Postby jasonh300 » Thu May 09, 2013 7:13 pm

gettingthere wrote:Another day, another takeover rumor. Who cares who owns what? If it stays as a 'free' navigation application and does what you want, use it.

The threat is that people will stop editing the map. If a handful of users leave, it's no big deal, but if the veteran map editors decide that they are no longer willing to spend thousands of hours doing uncompensated work for an entity like Facebook, then it will hurt. The value is in the maps and the routing algorithms.

With a ridiculous number like $2,000,000,000, figure that half of that goes to the technical end, and the other half goes to the map. If you take the top 500 map editors who have done 99.9% of the map editing work, the work that we've already done becomes valued at around $1,000,000 each. Do you think they're going to cut each of us a check when the sale is complete?

That being said, if I was one of the partners, and had that kind of offer on the table, I'd have a really hard time passing it up.
jasonh300

Postby iainhouse » Thu May 09, 2013 6:54 pm

dmcconachie wrote:Large quantities? A thread of 30 odd posts suggests anything but large quantities!

Maybe not large quantities - but then most people won't speak up either way. What it does show is the majority of people who want to express an opinion about this are against it.

Whatever we say isn't going to change a thing. If this happens, then Facebook already know that opinions about them are sharply polarised. They know they'll lose some users & editors - and that they'll probably gain some from the massive Facebook user base.

My problem with Facebook is that, time and again, they suck up user data (which is freely given to them!) and spew it out across the Internet. There's a big outcry, a new set of privacy settings, then everything quietens down again until the next time. There's nothing you can do about it other than choose to use Facebook or not - you don't pay them for the service so the only things governing their behaviour is how many users can they keep (a lot!) and what laws they have to obey.

In my feeble opinion, if Facebook buy Waze, nothing much will happen for a while. But, in a year or two, I wouldn't be surprised to find that you can only log onto Waze with your Facebook account. When that happens, I probably will be off - I don't have a Facebook account and I don't intend to.

But, until then, I'm doing this because I enjoy it (it certainly ain't for the money :lol: ) and I'm sure that's true for most of us. This thread is good because we get the chance to have our say and know we're not alone in our feelings. If the buyout happens and things change, that's when we'll each have to make our own decision.
iainhouse
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby McCracken808 » Thu May 09, 2013 6:37 pm

McCracken808

Postby dmcconachie » Thu May 09, 2013 6:18 pm

jmp316 wrote:

Without the users, the are no map updates, driving data, no one to advertise to. I suspect users leaving waze in large quantities would be a concern...

Large quantities? A thread of 30 odd posts suggests anything but large quantities!
dmcconachie

PreviousNext

Return to Website, Community, General