Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

A few newbie questions

Post by funkstick
I've been using waze for a few weeks now and while the routing obviously still needs to learn a little more I really like the concept and will be munching as much as possible in the future. There are enough wazers in the NYC area to now start to have some useful traffic info which is nice. On to the questions:

1. Are muffins automatically generated? i.e. after they are collected by a user do more continually pop up on the next most important road needing some attention? Or are they placed by area managers?

2. I can't seem to find a good explanation of the legend on the cartouche map. What do the road colors mean? what are the yellow and red boxes with numbers in them in the map problems layer?

3. I see update requests in my local area but I can't figure out how to see what the request actually says. Do I have to be an area manager to see these?
funkstick

POSTER_ID:540400

Send a message

Post by funkstick
Great thanks. I understand the traffic colors, but what about the colors on the cartouche map editor view? highways are red, off/onramps are green, main roads are yellow, blue is an accelleration/deceleration zone?
funkstick
Send a message

Post by QuickOK
1. Cupcakes - or muffins as you refer to them - are incentives to drive on those certain road segments (cartouche term) so that certain information may be obtained such as directionality (one/two-way) and speed information. These Cupcakes/muffins are automatically placed on the segments by the Waze system. Area managers do not currently have the ability to place Cupcakes/muffins anywhere on the map.

2. Yellow=light traffic, Orange=moderate traffic, Red=Heavy Traffic -or- Complete standstill | The map problems layer shows errors generated by the Waze system. Such as GPS tracks that were unable to be matched to the roads (error 52 or 53 I think). Error 6 we try and correct immediately because the roads are not connected to nodes/junctions and really effect routing. See Map Editing for more detailed information. Link included here: http://www.waze.com/wiki/#Map_Editing

3. To see Update requests, on the layer panel click Update Requests. You will see big round red dots or blue dots. Red dots are Open requests, blue dots mean they are pending something by an area manager. Click on the red or blue dots to see what the request was originally and then below that to see what the AM (Area Manager) has said. You don't have to be an AM to see the requests. AM's should be proficient in map editing and fixing problems. There can be more than one AM in an area, but it's best to coordinate with them so not to mess anything up that they/you are working on.
QuickOK
Send a message

Post by QuickOK
Blue = Freeway
Red = Major Highway
Yellow = Minor Highway
On/Off-Ramps = Green
Primary Street = Orangeish Yellow / School Bus Yellow
Streets = White
Service Roads = White
All Others are gray
QuickOK