Google buys Waze for 1.1B?

Moderator: Unholy

Google buys Waze for 1.1B?

Postby vectorspace » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:28 pm

My wife just told me that Google bought Waze for 1.1B.

Congratulations Ehud and clan!
vectorspace
vectorspace

Re: Google buys Waze for 1.1B?

Postby orbitc » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:30 pm

vectorspace wrote:My wife just told me that Google bought Waze for 1.1B.

Congratulations Ehud and clan!

Is there an article? How does she know?
Regional Coordinator for Northeast (DE, NJ, NY, PA) & New England (CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT)
• ßeta Tester
• iOS ßeta: Always the latest version
• WME ßeta

WME | Mentoring | AM | USA
orbitc
Master Raider
Master Raider

Postby vectorspace » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:31 pm

Last edited by vectorspace on Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
vectorspace
vectorspace

Postby orbitc » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:35 pm

I'm happy that google is the buyer not FB. Also, I'm glad Ehud and Team stay in and at location. Hope for the Best.
Congrats to Ehud and The Team.
Last edited by orbitc on Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regional Coordinator for Northeast (DE, NJ, NY, PA) & New England (CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT)
• ßeta Tester
• iOS ßeta: Always the latest version
• WME ßeta

WME | Mentoring | AM | USA
orbitc
Master Raider
Master Raider

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:07 am

There are a lot of articles posted today with varying amounts.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.2 | Waze v4.7.0.1
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby tgfathergoose » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:00 am

What a shame. I see no huge advantage to any of the three major buyers. I despise Facebook and refuse to have an account, so I go bye-bye. Apple buys - could remain autonomous, and actually be the replacement for the awful Apple map app. Google buys - it could remain autonomous, but the only advantage here would be that we could actually use Google maps legally to update streets.

The big benefit of waze over other software is the more accurate arrival time based on my speed and road conditions. The GPS DVD in my Tundra is awful, not accurate at all, and no way to update. Waze is more intelligent.

What will I do with my extra time? Oh, the agony.......

Oh well, guess I'll just put the car charger away. At least I won't have as many bruises on my arm from my wife hitting me for inputting problems on waze. I'll just have them from inputs to gasbuddy.
Country Manager - US
iphone 5s
tgfathergoose
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby bretmcvey » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:57 am

I've personally enjoyed Waze as a standalone option for well over a year, but congrats (if things become official) for the Waze team. It's obviously unfortunate that this will likely mean the numerous edits will be for naught in the long run.

Hypothetical positives and negatives going forward...

Negatives of the Google Buyout
  • Waze maps edits likely being scrapped entirely
  • The loss of a visually superior navigation client (compare with Google Map's navigation mode)
  • The loss of live reporting (unless they adopt the Waze user reporting mindset, Google hasn't done anything involving user reporting in relation to the maps other than rating points of interest)

Positives of the Google Buyout
  • Integration of Waze client engine for rendering navigation routes (compare with Google Maps and see how there's far less visual clutter now that the Waze client suppresses nearby road names)
  • Better POI searching (given it will be via the Google Maps app, but Google does have a more robust listing points of interest and with geo locations that will give more precise directions to a destination)
  • Editor elements making their way to Google Mapmaker
  • Integrating aspects of Waze (maybe user reporting and live user traffic data) in with Google Maps
  • The addition of the talented Waze team with the Google Maps team

There's lots more positives and negatives I'm sure to be factored... it will be interesting to play the waiting game to see how this all shakes out.
Plains Region Assistant Regional Coordinator
US Waze Champ | Country Manager: USA | State Manager: Nebraska
bretmcvey
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby Heisa123 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:58 am

:P :P :P :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Country Manager
Heisa123

Postby Ericular » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:15 pm

This really is a bummer for me. The three best things about Waze:

1. Ability to edit maps. New road closure in my area? Make the map change, mobile client is routing around it the next day. Awesome. I hope this is one of the far superior features that Google is planning to integrate with this acquisition. I have not used Map Maker, so I'm not sure how quickly user map edits are integrated into the mobile nav client. Anyone have experience with this?

2. Real-time road speed & incident data. Waze has routed me better than Google, hands down. Part of this can be attributed to point #1 and the quick response to road closures. If I'm in a major metropolitan area, and a nav client tries to route me through a road that has been closed for 2 months, that's a deal breaker. (Unless I can make a map change and have it go live within days!) :mrgreen:

3. The friendly competition of the points system. It's fun to make map improvements that benefit users and see yourself climbing the ranks.

So overall I'm worried about the future of Waze. And I feel less excited to continue with the cleanup of my neighborhood, with the possibility it's all for nothing. :cry:

How's everybody else feeling?
Refining Minnesota's 86,939 square miles, one at a time!
Google Nexus 4 | Android 4.2.2
Ericular

Postby jalan94 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:01 pm

I am very excited about this buy-out if true. I like the concept of Waze a lot, but after lots of use in a variety of different circumstances and locations, it just seems like it will have a very hard time growing beyond a "commuter solution" in the major cities. I just don't feel like it can achieve critical mass beyond the biggest cities.

I live in a city of 275,000 in a metro area of about 550,000. The Waze data is marginal at best. I was almost always the one entering data like hazards instead of being the recipient of other's entries. The traffic on the freeways was pretty good but the side road traffic was almost always wrong - stale basically. It would include traffic on meaningless little residential streets but miss congestion on major divided 4 lanes arterials. We suffered from massive flooding last month, closing hundreds of streets and over 30 highways. I could find none of those closures entered into Waze by other users.

I love the idea that Waze learned from my personal driving and adapted road segment speeds, etc. I hope that Google includes that technology in the merged solution someday. I like the social aspects of warning other drivers of issues - there just aren't enough users. Same problem as Dash Navigation. Great idea - couldn't achieve critical mass except in major cities.

I greatly prefer the Google client over Waze both from a UI perspective as well as functionality, integration with the overall smartphone apps, and especially Google Now. Waze not being impeded into the OS in terms of being a handler app for clicking on addresses in other apps was always a huge drawback to it from my perspective. Google not yet doing automatic traffic rerouting is insane but that is coming this summer. That is one of the main reasons why I kept coming back to Waze under certain circumstances.

Finally, from a POI perspective, the biggest thing that I like about Google Navigation is the placement of POI's relative to their exact building location versus simply their street address. This, combined with Google's inclusion of terminal roads helps tremendously when trying to find a specific POI in the midst of a very dense retail area for example.

I think there are definitely benefits to the Waze app that will make Google better. I also believe that this is a defensive purchase as well - it was worth it for Google to take Waze away from others.
jalan94

Next

Return to Website, Community, General