Google buys Waze for 1.1B?

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Google buys Waze for 1.1B?

Postby dcsohl » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:55 pm

I think I liked it better when Facebook was rumored to be buying Waze. At least with Facebook you mostly know what you're dealing with. Google, though... forget all the NSA stuff, Google alone is already well on the way to being Big Brother and knowing what you do every moment of the day. Sorry, guys... enjoy your money but I'm outta here.
dcsohl
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:06 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Google buys Waze for 1.1B?

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:58 pm

It's now officially announced/blogged/tweeted. We can still chat about it here. No details on the actual amount yet, though.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 10.1.1 | Waze v4.14
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 23501
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:48 pm
Location: US Country Manager - Oregon, USA
Has thanked: 1091 times
Been thanked: 4641 times

Re: Google buys Waze for 1.1B?

Postby enhket » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:04 pm

Yay no more rollbacks plus daily map updates?

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2013/06/ ... g.html?m=1
Image
Christopher C. Enhket
Languages: Español, English, Français, Português.
Coordinator, Beta editor/Editing expert, Campeón.
Communities established: 8
enhket
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
 
Posts: 3715
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Spain
Has thanked: 1015 times
Been thanked: 2101 times

Re: Google buys Waze for 1.1B?

Postby jalan94 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:13 pm

So it seems like we know that Google Maps will get some of the social traffic intelligence from Waze and Waze will get Google search. Those seem like two things that can be implemented fairly quickly and benefit both communities. Beyond that, I don't think we know much of anything at this point.

The tone of the Waze announcement was much more "nothing will change" then the Google announcement was in my opinion.

Long term, it doesn't seem to be in either community's best interest to continue to fragment the editing community between two different map editors. But obviously consolidating these two services into one unified app and editor is a much longer term proposition. I don't think they can publicly say that is what is going to happen yet without risking alienating thousands of editors that they really need to continue what they are doing.

Think about it though, is there really any practical purpose in an editing community spending time editing a change in one mapping platform when the other mapping platform already contains the change? How they reconcile the current status of both mapping databases though seems like a technical challenge way beyond my comprehension.
jalan94
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:22 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Google buys Waze for 1.1B?

Postby enhket » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:17 pm

jeffcarp wrote:So it seems like we know that Google Maps will get some of the social traffic intelligence from Waze and Waze will get Google search. Those seem like two things that can be implemented fairly quickly and benefit both communities. Beyond that, I don't think we know much of anything at this point.

The tone of the Waze announcement was much more "nothing will change" then the Google announcement was in my opinion.

Long term, it doesn't seem to be in either community's best interest to continue to fragment the editing community between two different map editors. But obviously consolidating these two services into one unified app and editor is a much longer term proposition. I don't think they can publicly say that is what is going to happen yet without risking alienating thousands of editors that they really need to continue what they are doing.

Think about it though, is there really any practical purpose in an editing community spending time editing a change in one mapping platform when the other mapping platform already contains the change? How they reconcile the current status of both mapping databases though seems like a technical challenge way beyond my comprehension.


That is what I was wondering
Image
Christopher C. Enhket
Languages: Español, English, Français, Português.
Coordinator, Beta editor/Editing expert, Campeón.
Communities established: 8
enhket
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
 
Posts: 3715
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Spain
Has thanked: 1015 times
Been thanked: 2101 times

Re: Google buys Waze for 1.1B?

Postby bretmcvey » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:20 pm

Hopefully Google/Waze will have a roadmap soon. The announcement is likely and understandably going to result in numerous editors abandoning both Waze and making updates in the editor. I'm more a fan of Waze than I ever was Google Map Maker and updating the Google Maps. I've had updates that are still awaiting review that were made over a year ago in Map Maker. Waze has always been responsive and direct.

Some kind of direction would be appreciated... such as Google's vector street data replaces what's presently in the Waze editor.... some kind of direction or idea of what to expect. As it stands now Waze saying things will keep running as they are doesn't really have a convincing ring to it to validate sticking around and updating map data that's destined for the scrap heap.

Hopefully both parties will figure something out soon after some evaluation so avid editors know they won't be wasting their time/effort.

Congrats though to the Waze team for being so highly sought after!
Plains Region Assistant Regional Coordinator
US Waze Champ | Country Manager: USA | State Manager: Nebraska
Image
bretmcvey
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
 
Posts: 317
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:08 am
Location: Omaha, NE
Has thanked: 146 times
Been thanked: 93 times

Re: Google buys Waze for 1.1B?

Postby invented » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:56 pm

I've put in a year's worth of map improvements over the past year. When can I expect my cheque?
HTC one, GPE, Android 4.4
invented
 
Posts: 618
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:03 am
Location: Port Colborne, ON
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Google buys Waze for 1.1B?

Postby wox33 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:00 pm

I would hope that Google and Waze decide that it is best to keep their applications as separate entities as they have separate functions. To me, Goggle Maps is a search platform. Searching for businesses or activities around your area, and then helping navigate to them with the built-in gps navigation. Waze on the other hand is a commuter GPS routing application first and foremost.

Sharing databases, on the other hand, could be a big improvement for both apps. Sharing traffic information, and real-time Waze alerts across apps would help everybody. I just hope they don't try to merge google maps with Waze maps. The Waze maps in my area are much better, more accurate, and more current. It can take a few weeks to get a simple road geometry change passed through Google map maker.

I can see removal of Facebook integration with Waze and the addition of Google+, I'm sure most people would not be happy with this that use those features, although inside the Waze app, not much difference would be noticed whether you are using your Facebook contact list or your Google account contact list. I could also see removal of all other search engines except for Google and the Waze internal search engine, and removal of Bing aerials for Google's.

Still hopeful for the future of Waze. Just hope complete integration into Google Maps does not happen. Any word on distribution of that 1.3 Billion to all the users keeping Waze maps updated and relevant in the mapping ecosytem? I'm ranked around 240 in my state. That should be worth a couple thousand, right? ;)
wox33
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:22 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Google buys Waze for 1.1B?

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:09 pm

wox33 wrote:Any word on distribution of that 1.3 Billion to all the users keeping Waze maps updated and relevant in the mapping ecosytem? I'm ranked around 240 in my state. That should be worth a couple thousand, right? ;)

While I too would welcome a cash for my time spent, I doubt the various investors like Microsoft who put up actual money, would agree to parting with any of their profit.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 10.1.1 | Waze v4.14
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 23501
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:48 pm
Location: US Country Manager - Oregon, USA
Has thanked: 1091 times
Been thanked: 4641 times

Re: Google buys Waze for 1.1B?

Postby bretmcvey » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:15 pm

wox33 wrote:I would hope that Google and Waze decide that it is best to keep their applications as separate entities as they have separate functions. To me, Goggle Maps is a search platform. Searching for businesses or activities around your area, and then helping navigate to them with the built-in gps navigation. Waze on the other hand is a commuter GPS routing application first and foremost.


Google Maps has the cartography, search, navigation (with somewhat live traffic data viewing), and exploration approach... Waze has search, navigation and live traffic reporting/viewing. The biggest difference I ever saw between the two clients from the navigation sense was that Waze actively wanted you to drive with the app open and ideally think about where you're going whenever you drive. Google Maps is just there as a tool to use as needed.

With so much in common in terms of basic purposes other than user traffic reporting, I just don't see how they plan to keep both separate for long.
Plains Region Assistant Regional Coordinator
US Waze Champ | Country Manager: USA | State Manager: Nebraska
Image
bretmcvey
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
 
Posts: 317
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:08 am
Location: Omaha, NE
Has thanked: 146 times
Been thanked: 93 times

PreviousNext

Return to Website, Community, General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users