Waze joins Google

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Waze joins Google

Postby usa_oiyo3unw » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:19 pm

I was hoping nothing would change, glad to see it hasnt. So is google going to be stealing your updated maps now?
usa_oiyo3unw

Postby vickimachado » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:14 am

NorfolkMustard wrote:My expectation: waze editors invited to join existing google map maker community. Any improvements in routing algorithms subsumed into gMaps

What would be the incentive for Waze editors to join the Google "community"? I got a free nav app from Waze, at least, and I don't need to compound my map-making addiction with more work. I don't expect to see any merging -- except for the ads, of course.

Don't get me wrong -- I'm delighted at the prospect of getting aerials (far better than Bing's in my area) and Street View!
Area manager, Hawaii
iPhone4, iOS 6.1.2
vickimachado

Postby vickimachado » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:56 pm

You know, I kind of doubt they're going to do that. Why would they just get a bunch of people mad for no profitable purpose?
Area manager, Hawaii
iPhone4, iOS 6.1.2
vickimachado

Postby vickimachado » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:46 pm

Here's my hope: If Waze is ultimately to be joined at the hip to other Google apps, I'd like Google to give Wazers a fast track to making updates to Google Maps. A lot of the point-of-interest searches go awry via third-party queries (Google and Bing), and when revisions are submitted they take eons before they're approved, if at all.
Area manager, Hawaii
iPhone4, iOS 6.1.2
vickimachado

Postby vince1612 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:47 pm

Google confirmed it here: http://googleblog.blogspot.ch/2013/06/g ... rting.html

Congrats Waze Team !

I realize there are many people not happy over the Google acquisition from reading certain comments. But all in all I'm just happy it's Google and not Apple or Facebook, they would probably have made Waze a lot worse, but Google Maps ARE good, so I'm sure Waze can really benefit from it.

As for those who are paranoid with the government following you, well chill, your life is probably not as interesting as you want to make it sound. Besides you all know where the OFF switch to your GPS is don't you?

I just wonder if that will change things on the long run and if we will still use the current map we work on editing everyday or switch to a Google Map of some sort. Time will tell
Last edited by vince1612 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1+1=3 - L'union des talents dépasse leur simple addition. / Uniting talents goes beyond simply adding them up.
vince1612

Postby vince1612 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:12 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
vince1612 wrote:Google confirmed it here: http://googleblog.blogspot.ch/2013/06/g ... rting.html

Beat you, like 2 hours ago. 3rd post. :ugeek:

Yeah I saw that just after :P
1+1=3 - L'union des talents dépasse leur simple addition. / Uniting talents goes beyond simply adding them up.
vince1612

Postby vince1612 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:23 pm

@ The Waze Team - You're also getting a few comments on your Facebook Page about this. I've been responding to comments of worried people by pointing them here to read this forum. But I think you should also manage the comments or make a new post on there for people who don't use forums.
vince1612

Postby vince1612 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:25 am

vince1612 wrote:@ The Waze Team - You're also getting a few comments on your Facebook Page about this. I've been responding to comments of worried people by pointing them here to read this forum. But I think you should also manage the comments or make a new post on there for people who don't use forums.

@ The Waze Team
As I suggested before, forums are good but please also don't forget about communication on your Facebook page, people are asking questions there and some italian guy is getting angry :roll:

Angry italian guy on Facebook wrote:You have sold my work to google?
I don't like my work sell to google. I think tonight i will delete all road in my area.
Like · · 2 hours ago via mobile

We believe we identified the uSer and we will monitor his actions
asterix06
vince1612

Postby wavydaby » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:04 pm

Not happy about this. Good bye awesome app, hello more crappy ads.
wavydaby

Postby wazingwr » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:15 pm

Congratulations to you all...
Wazing with: Iphone 4S
Driving with: Kia C'eed
Regio Manager: Zeeland
wazingwr
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Website, Community, General