Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by fvwazing
@jwriddle:
even at +3k posts myself, I still value every post/opinion at its own merits.

@bamablond:
editorial remark - please use proper quoting in your posts for better legibility.
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by GeecheeDan
Since Waze has sold out to Google, I will not be a Wazer anymore. All it will bring is more targeted ad placement and spying. Too bad because I was actually enjoying the app.
GeecheeDan
Send a message

Post by georgenqueiroz
I wished Waze was not sold, but I know it was almost impossible.

So, if the company had to be sold, Google was the best option. They have the best infrastructure in the world and I guess most performance issues will be fixed.

My concern is how Google will handle two different map services and two map editors. Will both map services be synchronized? Will roads and landmarks from Google Maps be included to Waze maps? Are Waze Maps going to have duplicated roads and landmarks due to this?

Waze Map Editor is much better than Google Map Maker. If I'm not wrong, in GMM if you need to delete a road that does not exist anymore, you have to delete it, then some users must aprove this change, and after some days you will can make adicional changes, if it is necessary. Changes in Waze are much quicker than in Google Maps.

Actually, to tell the truth, I'm going to make less editions than I used to few days ago. I'm not sure about what is going to happen to my editions.
georgenqueiroz
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message
George Queiroz

Post by georgenqueiroz
fvwazing wrote: Google has a mapservice that is considered very good - they do NOT need Waze at all.
This may be true in some countries, but definitly not in Brazil. The quality of Google Maps is poor in lots of places here. In my country, Waze has better maps than Google, there is no doubt.
georgenqueiroz
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message
George Queiroz

Post by georgenqueiroz
mr1492 wrote:I wonder how long Waze will remain. As soon as the founders begin to regret joining the Googleplex and jump ship, the Waze identity will fade.
Well, Waze may die in mid term, but I think it's not likely. When Google bought Youtube, they had their own video service, the Google Videos. After seven years, Youtube is alive and Google Videos does not exist anymore. Another example is Panoramio.com. When Google bought this website, they already had the PicasaWeb and today Panoramio is the main source of photos of Google Maps.
mr1492 wrote:As soon as the founders begin to regret joining the Googleplex and jump ship.
Waze was sold for U$1 bi. They definitely will not regret.
mr1492 wrote:I am also concerned as an iPhone user that Waze will switch to an Android-centric system. Nothing has been said but I can see Google pushing the developers to make the Android based system a little "better" than their competitors application.
In my opinion, if Apple had bought Waze, it would be much more likely they stopped developing new versions of the App for Android.

I guess what I'm going to say is not true for you, but I think several IPhone users tend not to be happy knowing that Google has bought Waze. In addition, I think Android users would tend not to be happy if Apple had bought Waze.

By the way, I'm an Android user.
georgenqueiroz
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message
George Queiroz

Post by Grid64
I somehow have a feeling that a rebranded app will come out of this acquisition in the sometime future. I don't think everything from Waze will merge into the Google Maps app except for traffic data perhaps for right now.

The ideas have been posted above but we have to wait and see what really happens within a year from now.
Grid64
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3
Send a message

Post by Heisa123
Google buys waze for fun.
They change nothing and let waze compete with their own navigation?

In short, they throw money away?

Well I think this is a game of shareholders.
Earn lots of money.
Nothing wrong with that. If waze thinks that everything stays the same?

Forget it.
Heisa123
Send a message
Country Manager

Post by iainhouse
bought.jpg
courtesy of xkcd.com
(34.96 KiB) Downloaded 6833 times
http://xkcd.com/489/
iainhouse
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Answers: 1
Send a message
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... c4/AGC.pnghttps://sign.waze.tools/s2000.pnghttps://sign.waze.tools/c6.png
My scripts: WME FixUI WME Presets :ugeek:
I want to go to a commune in Vermont and deal with no unit of time shorter than a season

Post by iainhouse
Waze displays traffic differently from Google. With Google, you see traffic marked when there are a lot of cars or when they're running slowly.

With Waze, you see traffic marked when traffic is moving slower than usual for that time of day. If, as you say, this location is well known for traffic delays at that time of day, then Waze will only highlight it on the map if it's considerably worse than usual. Also, if a Waze user reports a traffic jam, that will trigger highlighting to show up.

Note that the highlighting is a visual thing only. Waze calculates routes based on the current (historical if no current data) traffic speeds of the segments, regardless of highlighting.

As an example, in my daily commute, I use a small street to access a major dual carriageway. There is always a 5-minute delay waiting to turn onto the dual carriageway, but that is less than the delay of negotiating small streets to the next junction where the turning is just as difficult. Waze only ever highlights my small street if the delay is far worse than the normal 5 minutes.

There are differing opinions over which method of highlighting is better. In my opinion, Google's highlighting is better if you want to look at the map & navigate yourself. Waze's is better if you're going to trust Waze to do the routing. If you hit a delay and nothing is highlighted, you can assume that this delay is normal for the time of day and hope that Waze has correctly taken account of it. :lol:
iainhouse
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Answers: 1
Send a message
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... c4/AGC.pnghttps://sign.waze.tools/s2000.pnghttps://sign.waze.tools/c6.png
My scripts: WME FixUI WME Presets :ugeek:
I want to go to a commune in Vermont and deal with no unit of time shorter than a season

Post by j2002
Waze joins Google or Google bought Waze? Although it's quite similar, it's not the same. Will Waze and Google Maps/Navigation live together ? How much time? Let's see.
I will read the whole thread to know if it's already commented.
j2002
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message