Waze joins Google

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Waze joins Google

Postby Red-83 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:10 am

Congratulations, another step in the evolution of Waze.
Area Manager Gahanna, Ohio
Red-83

Postby edsonajj » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:18 am

petervdveen wrote:
shirlig wrote:yes, that includes google's aerials and street view !

I really hope we can keep using the bing aerials insead of the really bad google aerials...

Which company has the best aerials depends on your country and area, my city is more up to date on bing but it has much better quality images on Google. For the rest of the country Google is generally better.
Image Edson Jiménez

edsonajj
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby edsonajj » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:20 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
xteejx wrote:Use Googles servers and resources for what they're worth. Live map tile refreshes maybe? Overkill perhaps.

Already possible and being done with livemap. Sorta.

Only for the US-Canada server. ROTW probably needs a lot more processing power.
Image Edson Jiménez

edsonajj
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:28 am

edsonajj wrote:Only for the US-Canada server. ROTW probably needs a lot more processing power.

Nope. I just added this segment and it shows (on click) on the Livemap instantly.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.2 | Waze v4.7.0.1
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby edsonajj » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:32 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
edsonajj wrote:Only for the US-Canada server. ROTW probably needs a lot more processing power.

Nope. I just added this segment and it shows (on click) on the Livemap instantly.

Then the new livemap was applied to both servers? Since the beta thread always said it was only for US/Canada I hadn't even bothered to check on ROTW.
Image Edson Jiménez

edsonajj
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:39 am

edsonajj wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:

Then the new livemap was applied to both servers? Since the beta thread always said it was only for US/Canada I hadn't even bothered to check on ROTW.

The "new" livemap applies to the visual elements and timely updating of the visual representation of the map. That you can click on a segment added seconds ago seems to apply to both servers.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.2 | Waze v4.7.0.1
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kpouer » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:02 am

It seems it depends on where, I have a lot of places where the livemap was not updated since at least 7 or 8 months
Area manager entre Paris et l'Auvergne
Country Manager France
Country Manager Algérie http://www.facebook.com/WazeAlgerie & twitter: http://twitter.com/WazeAlgerie
Country Manager west Africa
kpouer
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby davipt » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:45 am

edsonajj wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:

That's a big mess on livemap then. And I'm sure this is some feature that nobody knew about and that is around way before the new live map on the US.

So there are three relevant "features" on livemap for this discussion:
- the visual drawing of the map, which is stopped in time since the infrastructure migration - august? october? last year. Some weeks ago it got a layer of cream color on top.

- the routing algorithm, which follows the exact same path as the current client tiles, meaning it can draw a line completely unrelated to the livemap drawing. For this we (I) knew that we could guess where to click on a new/changed road to define the start and stop point.

- now the new feature is that changes on the editor reflect automatically on live map. wow. I've double checked this one. Created a new segment on the editor, gave it a specific name, and could select it on live map. Unfortunately this is irrelevant because the routing algorithm doesn't know about such road and won't create a route through it.

I'm mentioning this because even without the updated visuals, if it were true that both the new segments and the routing would be instantly up-to-date, it would be amazing to live test those small detail adjustments we do for keep/turn instructions or roundabout angles. :D
ImageBruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ
Coordinator for Portugal | Expert iPhone and others
Forum PT | Wiki PT | Facebook PT | Twitter PT
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby ranirahn » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:59 pm

At least there is no server excuse for not having speed limits anymore. So waiting new features :P
ranirahn

Postby linus71 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:22 pm

Congratulations.

I hope this is a step, not the finish line.

noam wrote:
Nothing practical will change here at Waze. Waze will maintain our community, brand, service and organization – the community hierarchy, responsibilities and processes will not change. The same Waze people will continue to collaborate with you, and we will continue to innovate our product and services, making them more social, functional and helpful for everyday drivers. Our employees, managers, founders and I are all committed to our vision for many years to come.

I hope instead that things can change for the better

I have so many questions to ask, but maybe not the right topic

good luck
linus71
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Website, Community, General