Waze joins Google

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Waze joins Google

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:35 pm

noam wrote:...Our employees, managers, founders and I are all committed to our vision for many years to come.

Except those who take the $1.2mil and leave? :mrgreen:
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.2 | Waze v4.7.0.1
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: Waze is great,,,I just have concerns

Postby mr1492 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:24 pm

GeecheeDan wrote:Since Waze has sold out to Google, I will not be a Wazer anymore. All it will bring is more targeted ad placement and spying. Too bad because I was actually enjoying the app.

This post captures some of my concerns. I'm relatively new to Waze but have enjoyed using it an participating in the community spirit. Joining Google, while it begins relatively benignly, will inevitably cause a joining to the Google corporate culture. I wonder how long Waze will remain. As soon as the founders begin to regret joining the Googleplex and jump ship, the Waze identity will fade.

I am also concerned as an iPhone user that Waze will switch to an Android-centric system. Nothing has been said but I can see Google pushing the developers to make the Android based system a little "better" than their competitors application.

I'll stick around for a while but wonder for how long.
mr1492

Postby georgenqueiroz » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:39 am

mr1492 wrote:I wonder how long Waze will remain. As soon as the founders begin to regret joining the Googleplex and jump ship, the Waze identity will fade.

Well, Waze may die in mid term, but I think it's not likely. When Google bought Youtube, they had their own video service, the Google Videos. After seven years, Youtube is alive and Google Videos does not exist anymore. Another example is Panoramio.com. When Google bought this website, they already had the PicasaWeb and today Panoramio is the main source of photos of Google Maps.

mr1492 wrote:As soon as the founders begin to regret joining the Googleplex and jump ship.
Waze was sold for U$1 bi. They definitely will not regret.

mr1492 wrote:I am also concerned as an iPhone user that Waze will switch to an Android-centric system. Nothing has been said but I can see Google pushing the developers to make the Android based system a little "better" than their competitors application.

In my opinion, if Apple had bought Waze, it would be much more likely they stopped developing new versions of the App for Android.

I guess what I'm going to say is not true for you, but I think several IPhone users tend not to be happy knowing that Google has bought Waze. In addition, I think Android users would tend not to be happy if Apple had bought Waze.

By the way, I'm an Android user.
George Queiroz
georgenqueiroz

Postby sketch » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:25 am

mr1492 wrote:I am also concerned as an iPhone user that Waze will switch to an Android-centric system. Nothing has been said but I can see Google pushing the developers to make the Android based system a little "better" than their competitors application.

Waze started out as an "Android-centric system", back in 2009. It was out for Android months before it made it to iOS, and Android development was ahead. It took a year or so for iOS to catch up and then take the lead.

Google's iOS app library is pretty strong. There's no reason for them to stiff their iOS userbase now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby z00mb1e » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:42 am

Waze had some problem in my area, in West Midlands and recently noticed in Cornwall, UK the Google Maps had a better traffic information and the maps were better. My editor level got stuck on 3 cones as there is not much to edit in my area (plus some corrections I tried to do were rolled back by someone else) and when I tried to fix the maps in Cornwall my level was to low ;( and, from experience, if I'll ask to unlock the other user will make a correction and gain all the points, leaving me behind on mid level. And, frankly, I was switching between Google Maps, Copilot and Waze on my holidays due to incorrect maps (Waze), no mobile reception (Waze, Google) and... actually the Copilot was the best - no problem on the maps, no relay on mobile data (only for the traffic info). I'm really cures for where this Google+Waze mirage will end.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
z00mb1e

Postby juksemaker » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:05 am

GeecheeDan wrote:Since Waze has sold out to Google, I will not be a Wazer anymore. All it will bring is more targeted ad placement and spying. Too bad because I was actually enjoying the app.

Google, NSA etc already know enough about me. They have my mail. They know about every website i visit. They know where i am when i surf. They know everything i search for. They know everything i do online.

I don't need them to know where i am when i'm offline.

I have asked to be deleted from Waze.
http://tinyurl.com/delWaze

Bye,
Juks
juksemaker

Postby edsonajj » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:09 pm

sketch wrote:

Waze started out as an "Android-centric system", back in 2009. It was out for Android months before it made it to iOS, and Android development was ahead. It took a year or so for iOS to catch up and then take the lead.

Google's iOS app library is pretty strong. There's no reason for them to stiff their iOS userbase now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

What has been true is that Google apps are just "a bit better" on Android than on iOS, for example… maps. I guess we iOS users just worry that new functions will be added to Android first ant then take their time to make it to iOS. The way it is right now, with almost simultaneous feature releases, is my preferred one.
Image Edson Jiménez

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
edsonajj
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby sketch » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:19 pm

henslok wrote:And, frankly, I was switching between Google Maps, Copilot and Waze on my holidays due to incorrect maps (Waze), no mobile reception (Waze, Google) and... actually the Copilot was the best - no problem on the maps, no relay on mobile data (only for the traffic info).

Copilot's maps are pretty awful in the US in my experience. And while it's good that they don't use any data, they also take up a lot of space on the phone.

edsonajj wrote:What has been true is that Google apps are just "a bit better" on Android than on iOS, for example… maps. I guess we iOS users just worry that new functions will be added to Android first ant then take their time to make it to iOS. The way it is right now, with almost simultaneous feature releases, is my preferred one.

Well, yes, but Google typically has a pretty big head-start on things like this. Android has had a fully-functional Google Maps app for years. iOS, until last year, had an extremely functionally limited Apple-developed maps app which used Google's maps. Even after that was gone, it took Google a couple months before they released their Google Maps app for the iPhone, so they've been playing catch-up with themselves ever since.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby z00mb1e » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:25 pm

sketch wrote:Copilot's maps are pretty awful in the US in my experience. And while it's good that they don't use any data, they also take up a lot of space on the phone.

I've tried few satnavs incl stand alone TomTom and have to admit the Copilot was never wrong with routing me trough the UK and polish country roads. Never been in the states so can't judge that but here my friend was driving me around airport in Liverpool using TomTom everywhere but not to the airport lol

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
z00mb1e

Postby zappee » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:51 pm

This really sucks.

Now Google will take the Waze-team and the data and "integrate" them into Google. Then they will close down the app and continue with Google Maps and everyone who is not using Android will not get the latest features.

So, can anyone recommend me a new navigation app?
zappee

PreviousNext

Return to Website, Community, General