Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by edsonajj
petervdveen wrote:
shirlig wrote:yes, that includes google's aerials and street view !
I really hope we can keep using the bing aerials insead of the really bad google aerials...
Which company has the best aerials depends on your country and area, my city is more up to date on bing but it has much better quality images on Google. For the rest of the country Google is generally better.
edsonajj
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Edson Jiménez

Post by edsonajj
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
xteejx wrote:Use Googles servers and resources for what they're worth. Live map tile refreshes maybe? Overkill perhaps.
Already possible and being done with livemap. Sorta.
Only for the US-Canada server. ROTW probably needs a lot more processing power.
edsonajj
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Edson Jiménez

Post by edsonajj
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
edsonajj wrote:Only for the US-Canada server. ROTW probably needs a lot more processing power.
Nope. I just added this segment and it shows (on click) on the Livemap instantly.
Then the new livemap was applied to both servers? Since the beta thread always said it was only for US/Canada I hadn't even bothered to check on ROTW.
edsonajj
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Edson Jiménez

Post by edsonajj
sketch wrote:
mr1492 wrote:I am also concerned as an iPhone user that Waze will switch to an Android-centric system. Nothing has been said but I can see Google pushing the developers to make the Android based system a little "better" than their competitors application.
Waze started out as an "Android-centric system", back in 2009. It was out for Android months before it made it to iOS, and Android development was ahead. It took a year or so for iOS to catch up and then take the lead.

Google's iOS app library is pretty strong. There's no reason for them to stiff their iOS userbase now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
What has been true is that Google apps are just "a bit better" on Android than on iOS, for example… maps. I guess we iOS users just worry that new functions will be added to Android first ant then take their time to make it to iOS. The way it is right now, with almost simultaneous feature releases, is my preferred one.
edsonajj
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Edson Jiménez

Post by enhket
Glad to hear that it is Google and not facebook! Congrats :)

How will waze and google merge their maps? Will we still have to edit?

This will waze to grow even faster! Congratulations again
enhket
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/6/6b/W ... _0M_6c.png
Christopher C. Enhket
Languages: Español, English, Français, Português.
Coordinator, Beta editor/Editing expert, Campeón.
Communities established: 8

Post by enhket
shirlig wrote:Hi guys!
These are very exciting news indeed!
We'll do our best to address all your questions here.

Basically, as Noam mentioned - nothing really changes in our workflow and in our work together.
enhket wrote: How will waze and google merge their maps? Will we still have to edit?

This will waze to grow even faster! Congratulations again
Waze maps and Googles maps stay separated and it is not allowed to use google maps data to edit Waze maps.
However - there is going to be a significant focus on the enhancement of the map editor and new tools will be available to us - yes, that includes google's aerials and street view !
Nice. So I guess that google will only use the real-time traffic info for its maps? But hey good news, we won't have to use bing anymore
enhket
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/6/6b/W ... _0M_6c.png
Christopher C. Enhket
Languages: Español, English, Français, Português.
Coordinator, Beta editor/Editing expert, Campeón.
Communities established: 8

Post by eshabtai
Thanks guys. We're very excited about this.
I'm sure you have many questions but in general things will only improve. We are the same team with the same goals and same "waze freedom spirit". Being part of Google will give us access to new resources and allow us to accelerate things.
We will keep meeting you face to face in our meetups and communicate with you through the various channels as usual.

Ehud
eshabtai
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
Congratulations Waze team, and especially Ehud!

Use Googles servers and resources for what they're worth. Live map tile refreshes maybe? Overkill perhaps.

Just do me a favour and don't change the name to a mashup like

Waloozle or even worse...

Gaze (lol)

Nice choice of Google over Crapbook though. They would've destroyed this community by poking it to death. Google has previous and plenty of money and resources to throw at this. Use that to your advantage.

Mazel Tov!!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
Like many of Google's acquisitions Waze will probably stay as it is. It has its own brand and image and if anything Google would be really stupid to piss off people like editors that work for free and do a great job keeping everything fresh and correct.
Look at YouTube or Panoramio. They are now part of Google but they have barely changed, just integrated into the umbrella.
The outcome will most likely be more targeted advertising and the Waze traffic data pinched to use in Google Maps and navigation.

floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
zappee wrote: So, can anyone recommend me a new navigation app?
Google Maps for iOS? :lol:

floppyrod84
Send a message