Removal of speed cameras following legal issues

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Removal of speed cameras following legal issues

Postby Pierre-Wi » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:43 pm

:evil:
Last edited by Pierre-Wi on Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pierre-Wi

Postby Pierre-Wi » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:47 pm

By the way in Germany it is even illigal to use Waze anyways:
http://www.channelpartner.de/recht/2603665/index.html
Pierre-Wi

Postby AndyPoms » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:07 pm

Pierre-wi wrote:By the way in Germany it is even illigal to use Waze anyways:
http://www.channelpartner.de/recht/2603665/index.html

Actually what that says is that you can't have the phone in your hand (if Google is translating it correctly) even if you are using it as a navigation aid.

Deswegen sei jegliche Nutzung des Geräts untersagt, soweit das Mobiltelefon in der Hand gehalten werde, weil der Fahrzeugführer dann nicht beide Hände für die Fahraufgabe zur Verfügung habe.

Therefore, any use of the device is prohibited to the extent that the mobile phone will be held in the hand, because the driver will not have both hands on the driving task.
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Kuhlkatz » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:34 pm

Pierre-wi wrote:By the way in Germany it is even illigal to use Waze anyways:

I think you are missing the point. In most countries it is illegal to operate and use a 'hand-held' device while driving. Even though this is primarily aimed at idiots with a mobile phone growing out of their ear, it can easily be adapted to mean any 'device'. If you look carefully, you should see that most laws use this wording and not 'mobile phone'.
The fact that you are not making a call while you are completing the latest Suduko on your mobile while driving, does not make it less dangerous to operate the device while holding it.

Mount the frigging thing in a car mount and they can not classify it as 'hand-held' any more. It just becomes a device.

It also does not mean that it is less distracting, you should know to keep your eyes on the road.

You guys also seem to forget that Waze 'stores' your drives, which other navigation systems do not. How long would it be before the operators of mobile or fixed cameras gets the bright idea to sue Waze or Google as the parent company for 'loss of income' due to the camera warnings.
Assuming that Waze actually store this info, all they need to do is request / attach the data, check your speeds before, during and after the warnings, and it should be easy to calculate some averages for users warned vs users not speeding. Compute this against the amount of total Wazers and it should be easy to guesstimate some figures.
After they can prove that, there's nothing stopping them going after individuals.

It may sound extreme, but I'd say the lawyers have a bit more homework to do than what you think.

Just my 2c..

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Carel Cornelius
AM : Centurion & Sandton, ZA
CM & Coordinator, South Africa
(HTC One, Android 5.0.2, v7.19.401.51)
South African Wiki Waze Wiki Map Editing
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby TH3515 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:40 pm

Dear Waze people,

You should at least have the honesty to change the thread subject. I'm pretty sure there were never any actual legal issues that lead to the removal of the speed cameras. They were thus removed in preemptive obedience, without assessment of the local legal situation.
How can you ecpect thousands of users to spend their valuable time idealistically working on improving the maps, reporting traffic, correcting errors etc. when you don't even go to the trouble of checking with a few experts that are competent in the local laws before you remove one of the most vital functions in your whole concept? This is ridiculous.
Don't be mislead by there being only a few responses in this thread. I bet most users never found it or didn't even look for it. They just moved on to one of the many apps that still offer the functionality you so light-heartedly threw away.
TH3515

Postby DFFF00 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:28 am

+1

TH3515 wrote:How can you ecpect thousands of users to spend their valuable time idealistically working on improving the maps, reporting traffic, correcting errors etc. when you don't even go to the trouble of checking with a few experts that are competent in the local laws before you remove one of the most vital functions in your whole concept? This is ridiculous.

well put ! that's exactly the point. after selling a company, that's actually worth all the work of so many volunteers, for nearly a billion bucks, how can you not even pay attention to what they want?

TH3515 wrote: Don't be mislead by there being only a few responses in this thread. I bet most users never found it or didn't even look for it.

try to search google why there are no speed cams in wsze anymore: nothing.
just a link to the german waze tutorial explaining how to put speed cams on the map, saying this is not available any more, with a linknto this thread.
DFFF00

Postby ccdmas » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:00 am

Kuhlkatz wrote:You guys also seem to forget that Waze 'stores' your drives, which other navigation systems do not. How long would it be before the operators of mobile or fixed cameras gets the bright idea to sue Waze or Google as the parent company for 'loss of income' due to the camera warnings.

Not sure about your country, but over here, forever. That would be against the constitution, and violate probably about a dozen EU privacy laws.

But we should really try to stay on topic here please.

CU,
Massimo
ccdmas

Postby BellHouse » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:27 am

I think the arguments are well exchanged in this thread.

I, too, am deeply disappointed about the way Waze took this decision without prior interaction with their community.

It would be nice to reflect this decision in the app. I can only fancy how many users in Germany (and the other involved countries) are still entering cameras in the app, and wondering why they don't show up in the editor.

BellHouse
Global Champ / DACH Champ / CM Germany / Self-Management-Team Germany
BellHouse
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby popel22 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:15 am

countless URs here ...
"Missing speedcam"

Yes... I'm missing them tooooo....
popel22
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby argus-cronos » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:37 am

Countless uninformed noobs out there. I don't care about speedcams anymore, the function is illegal and there is no need to discuss anything or interact in any way with the community about this. If they decide this it is to protect their product, and at least you all as users!

Can someone please close this weenie Thread here?

If there is any solution, then waze will announce this. So please stop discussing another 20 sites about the same dumb arguments over and over again!

Yes in my country there are no speedcams anymore, so what and who cares?

Cheers
Argus
argus-cronos
Country Manager
Country Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Website, Community, General