Removal of speed cameras following legal issues

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Removal of speed cameras following legal issues

Postby DFFF00 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:11 pm

come on now, how long is it gonna take to either get speedcams back, or to get announced that it's never going to come back so we can quit using waze? :-\
DFFF00

Postby masju » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:02 pm

Let the users decide whether they let themselves be warned or not. On their own risk.

PLEASE!!!
masju

Postby masju » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:46 pm

What about the speedcams? Any decision?
masju

Postby schloetzi » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:25 pm

I want the speed cams back on WAZE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
schloetzi

Postby DFFF00 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:36 pm

sboden wrote:What is considered illegal in Belgium are those devices that actively detect radar signals.

it's EXACTLY the same in germany !
that's what StVO, §23, 1b is saying: a device to detect speed cams or disturb them. waze can't do that, so it's not illegal...
DFFF00

Postby DFFF00 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:34 pm

forgot to say:
even after taking speed cams out of waze in germany, i still can report speed cams and see them for myself on the map when passing them.
so, disabling speed cams because it's illegal but still letting me put them on my own map is ok ?
what a contradiction...
DFFF00

Postby DFFF00 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:33 pm

man, that's a shame !

i live in germany, and used blaupunkt and navigon navigation systems before.
then, i checked waze out, and i think i'm speaking for most of us when i say, that the best about waze is showing speedcams.
google navigation is showing traffic jams, too.

i'm sure, most waze users don't use that app because they can map chat or report stopped vehicles on the side of the road.

now, check this:
in germany, it's illegal to use phones while driving. now, while in motion and trying to enter a destination adress, waze asks if you're a passenger. so IF the driver still wants to write the adress, he clicks on "passenger" and can decide to do something illegal himself.
so, even IF speed cam reports would be illegal in germany, why turn them off completely ? why not let the user decide if he wants to be a "criminal" (haha) or not.

but let's talk about speed cam reports being illegal or not:
a few users already posted links about StVO, §23, 1b (they even wrote a translation). it clearly says:
it's illegal FOR THE DRIVER (!!!) to have a device that's made to show or disturb speed cams.
but a cell phone is NOT a device to show a speed cam. a phone first of all is a phone, and it's not a device made to show speed cams. get it ? huge difference !

it's a shame that all the work done by the community is being pissed on like that. without the community, google wouldn't have bought waze for such a huge amount of money, and as far as i'm concerned, the community doesn't get nothing of the money waze got from google. now, that's pretty unfair if you ask me, but ruining the work of so many users who worked on waze for free, is even worse !

so, maybe you forgot to study the law thoroughly, but then you could still ask yourself:
IF speed cam warnings are illegal in germany, how come it's not illegal for navigon, garmin, blaupunkt and all the others to have speed cam warnings ? (sure, they might inform you when turning that function on, that it's not legal for the driver, but it's on you to decide).
and how come it's not illegal but very common in germany to report speed cams to radio stations, who warn people in the radio news about it ?

long story short:
speed cam warnings being illegal in germany ? totally wrong !
disabling that function in waze without even asking the community or having a poll: totally wrong, too.
waze losing a lot of wazers and demotivate the community ? think for yourself !

why not spend a few hundred dollars of the billions google gave waze and just ask a lawyer IF it's illegal, and if it really is, ask him what the legal loopholes are.
DFFF00

Postby NiobProta » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:33 pm

Another user from Germany here:
IANAL, to my best knowledge, using the warnings as a driver while driving is a minor offense in Germany, using it outside the car or as a passenger is legal. This is what press and automobile clubs like ADAC do usually publish based on professional legal consultation interpreting the current law. (The ADAC is allowed to and does offer binding legal advice to its members. Interesting summary by the ADAC regarding radar warning devices in europe, not including Germany ("using warning devices abroad"): http://www.adac.de/_mmm/pdf/Radarwarner_166057.pdf - according to this document, there are much more problematic countries than Germany..)

EDIT to add:
I favor letting the user decide - put it up as an option in the preferences, and when crossing country borders, push a disable-feature-command to the application instance if it is not allowed in that country (hard disable when there's no doubt that it's illegal, like in Switzerland or France (based on the posts in this thread)).
NiobProta

Postby rarebyte » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:19 pm

My 2 cents.

I would like an option in Waze to disable speed camera ... warning and reporting... so we can have "plausible deniability". Or for people that want to obey their local laws 100% a way to do so.

In Belgium there have been court cases around this. The way it currently is, is that apps like Waze and Coyote can report police traps and mobile/fixed cameras. In Belgium this is considered the same as when you would call all of your friends to warn them about the location of the police, it's legal.

What is considered illegal in Belgium are those devices that actively detect radar signals.
rarebyte

Postby Taglar » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:06 pm

thomasstolz wrote:Maybe it was just a bit of "dangerous" for them. I hope the'll reactivate this feature soon.

:evil:

Up to this point - Waze - R.I.P :cry:
Taglar

PreviousNext

Return to Website, Community, General