Waze "stopped" while driving through "newish" area of town

Post by DaveNorton
I'm a fairly savvy Waze user - been using it for a couple years, almost daily. And, as far as I can tell, have never had any kind of problem with Waze that could not be contributed to "user error". In fact I often tell friends (who use Google Maps), "always trust the Waze". That being said...

Recently I gave a friend a ride home from work. He lives in a fairly new development in the area (southern Maryland). He was giving me directions as I drove, so I didn't watch my Waze display at all. After dropping him off, I went to leave, using Waze as my guide. It gave me an initial "right at XYZ Street", but then... nothing. No further turn directions. In fact, when I looked more closely at the display, I noticed the car icon was frozen - not updating at all. And only some of the roads were displayed (e.g. the road my car was on was not displayed). I had a good signal, and didn't see any "no GPS" warnings. This continued for a mile or two until I got well past what could be considered "recent" roads. Actually, now that I think of it, the problem only fixed itself after I got back to approximately the point when I started Waze.

Does anyone have any idea what was going on? I don't think this was a map issue - I recently went to Map Editor, and saw that the roads I had been traveling on were all there (mostly).

FYI, I am using a Motorola Droid Razr Maxx (Verizon). And the Waze software has been updated within a month. Thanks!!
DaveNorton

POSTER_ID:11966653

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Could you share a permalink to the neighborhood area where the new development is? It could be a missing junction which causes Waze to not know how to route out of the area. Unlikely, given what I've read, but possible.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
DaveNorton wrote:Not sure how to do that, but tell me if this works:
https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-76.56 ... s=54715721
(In the editor, I selected a piece, and hit "Permalink".)
Perfect. (Many people can't figure out how to get a permalink even with step-by-step instructions.)

Aside comment: a local AM or CM could contact FamilyLoad about improper driveway stubs: https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-76.56 ... s=73419037
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Quick testing in LiveMap appears to work ok into this area, in general: http://www.waze.com/livemap/?zoom=13&lo ... &to_seg=-1
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Were you using the add-a-stop feature to route to your friends house or did you set a new route home after dropping your friend off. Not that I have any answer either way, but I have had some issues with the transition back to the purple line after leaving intermediate stops.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
OK, I need to reconcile:
DaveNorton wrote:It gave me an initial "right at XYZ Street", but then... nothing. No further turn directions.
with
DaveNorton wrote:No, I did not set a route. Just turned on Waze and drove.
Do this mean when you opened waze, it asked you if you wanted to go home (or some other assumed destination), waze received a "yes" answer (either affirmatively or by default) and then you drove to your friend's house while ignoring the instructions that waze was giving to the destination waze assumed?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
OK got it. But don't have an answer. I'm also on Verizon with a similar phone not too far away from you and haven't had a similar problem. Hope its just a one time glitch.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Aside comment: a local AM or CM could contact FamilyLoad about improper driveway stubs: https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-76.56 ... s=73419037
PM sent.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by DaveNorton
Just wondering... Usually, when I do not have a GPS signal (e.g. in a tunnel), I get a red text warning at the top of the display - something like "No GPS signal detected...", and Waze (I assume) just kind of dead reckons. But in the case I described, I saw no warnings.

CBenson: No, I did not set a route. Just turned on Waze and drove.
DaveNorton
Send a message

Post by DaveNorton
Sorry for the confusion.

When I was driving from work to my friends house, I had not entered a route (don't recall if I got the "Are you going home" message - if I did, I dismissed it). So, at that time, I was not "Navigating".

When I left my friend's house, that was when I decided to "Navigate" home, and Waze told me "right on XYZ Street".

Is that more clear?
DaveNorton
Send a message