Parking lot roads

Post by Cputrdoc
This question apparently has been asked so often that the forum won't let me search for it "words too common" --

Waze keeps asking me to drive across parking lots to get to my destination. In my view, parking lots aren't roads, especially since they change more often than real streets, have no name, and can't capture things like the location of "Suite E" in a strip mall (okay, I haven't tried it, but I really doubt it).

Should I be deleting parking lot roads to stop the GPS guidance software from confusing them with real streets? ...and if I should actually be adding parking lot roads, why???, and how can I use the feature constructively?
Cputrdoc

POSTER_ID:858177

Send a message

Post by BrutusNL
And please don't just delete roads that are actually there because you don't want to use them. As mentioned, make sure the correct route can be navigated (by editing correct connections and turns) and set the non-desired road to parking lot as road type. That way, the roads remain on the map for orientation purposes, but eventually you will no longer be routed through them.
BrutusNL
Send a message

Post by Cputrdoc
Okay, and a road goodie in a restricted access parking lot was never meant for me?
Cputrdoc
Send a message

Post by Cputrdoc
BrutusNL wrote:And please don't just delete roads that are actually there because you don't want to use them.
No no, I agree that would be wrong. I'm used to OSM where they don't usually want parking lot roads so the very fact that Waze doesn't want that kind of cleanup is new to me, and I'm happy to oblige.

I'm still not quite sure I understand how they are used, though. Should "house number" edits be made for a no name parking lot road in front of a strip mall to indicate exactly where a shop is? ...and if so, how does Waze distinguish between the 350 Main St. and 350 Main-off-of-a-parking-lot-road St.?

I checked the wiki but the only mentions of "parking lot roads" are in languages I don't understand. Can someone point me to English instructions for designating parking lot roads?

(okay, now I found the "notify me when a reply is posted" option so I'll respond quicker next time)
Cputrdoc
Send a message

Post by Cputrdoc
Ahh. That makes sense. On more than one occasion I've been embarrassed to find I've been at home for hours and Waze is reporting a "traffic jam" right at my driveway. Innovative solution. Thx.
Cputrdoc
Send a message

Post by fvwazing
Many shops you can find in google (that is, Waze finds them for you in google) bring the coordinates of their doorstep with them. Try to navigate to a shop that is not defined as a POI in Waze and you may see that the endpoint of the route is there where you might have put it yourself.
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by fvwazing
Ah well, there is always room for improvement!
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by RallyChris
This most likely is a case of just not enough information to give you a more proper route.

Verify that the proper route has good directionality, turn restrictions, etc. Then drive the proper route so that it gets speed information.

Make sure that the parking lot roads, are actually of parking lot road type.

Waze puts a high penalty for using parking lot roads and private drives, but if the "correct" route has not been seen, waze doesn't know to use it, and will fall back to using the non-streets.

I know that it can work right, as I have the opposite problem, that when routing to my local store, it wants me to drive around the block because that would use less parking lot segments vs street segments.
RallyChris
Send a message
Portland, OR / USA - Mega Mapper
Wiki: Area Manager | Map Editing | Known Issues List
Official Suggestion Websites (hosted by uservoice):
Waze Client | Waze Website / Editor
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/d/d9/W ... 00k_5c.png

Post by RallyChris
Unfortunately road goodies don't discriminate. :)

They can show up anywhere, and the original goal was to encourage driving places that haven't been driven to. Sometimes the goodies are in places you just can't go. Help the community out and modify the map to reflect the real world.
RallyChris
Send a message

Post by RallyChris
I forgot to offer that if you provide a permalink, some of us can take a look and see if we find anything in particular that would cause your issues.
RallyChris
Send a message