Is everyone who responds to map edits always jerks?

Post by SalmonGram
I've been using the Waze app for a little over a month or so now, and am really enjoying it. I use it anytime I am traveling. I have submitted two map edits recently and the people who replied were just total douchebags. The first was offering a change to an intersection that has now become a rotary. The person who responded to that was just rude and full of him (or her) self. Now, just the other day while driving home, I noticed on the app showing a Staples on the map. This particular Staples has not been at this location for some time. I sent an edit off, and the response I get is to "complain to the search provider, Google or Bing". Why would I complain to them, or complain at all for that matter? I'm in the Waze app reporting an issue with something showing up on their map.

I really like this app and I recommend it to everyone (I just wish I could add them as friends without needing Facebook. Not everyone has an account), and I'm sure not all Wazers are like this, but so far, my only interactions with the Waze community have been terribly negative.
SalmonGram

POSTER_ID:16857982

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
SalmonGram wrote:I really like this app and I recommend it to everyone (I just wish I could add them as friends without needing Facebook. Not everyone has an account), and I'm sure not all Wazers are like this, but so far, my only interactions with the Waze community have been terribly negative.
The response "complain to Google" was a bit rude, yes. Map editors are just other Waze users, so there is bound to be a % of jerks. Not sure about the first one, but again, Waze map editors will be just a cross section of the general population, so you will get really nice people, idiots, rude people, people who are fed up with things in life and their responses in Waze come across similarly, etc. Don't take it personally, any more than you take it personally all the various kinds of people who act similarly while driving.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
WIKEDSTIK wrote:
SalmonGram wrote:I really like this app and I recommend it to everyone (I just wish I could add them as friends without needing Facebook.
I agree! I hate how we're being forced to use FB more and more just to authenticate. :evil:

I guess I'll have to continue Wazing alone.
Social connections independent of other "social networks" is planned. No ETA.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by htahta
There is a thing you can do. Report your error at google maps.
htahta
Send a message
[img]https:///MV4Na6[/img]
Local Champs
Country Manager Netherlands:
Benelux

Post by jdeyoung
If I read the users post correctly, he actually sees the Staples on the map in the client. I am in the habit of deleting these waze landmarks as I see them - precisely for the reason the poster indicated. But than, even a good editor looking at the map cannot see a deleted landmark. And the frequency of re-generation of landmark data to the client - and whether a particular client has gotten the refreshed tiles - sometimes leaves the responder no choice but to think that the user doesn't understand and to refer them to their "search provider". Sometimes I'm sure reporters mis-interpret brevity with rudeness, but we look at an awful lot of errors and a good number of them are similar to "there's an error somewhere". Sometimes tedious work, but we'll get better at it as time goes on.
jdeyoung
Answers: 2
Send a message

Post by ks3j
Points of interest (like your Staples store) do indeed come from Google or other external databases most of the time. Map editing guidelines actually discourage adding stores and restaurants to the actual Waze map, BECAUSE they're already well-covered by the external POI databases.

So in this particular case, the editor was giving you correct advice. If a store is in the wrong place, it's because Google (or Yelp or Bing) has it wrong, and we can't do thing one about it.

Scott
ks3j
Send a message

Post by TheDer
I am happy you are figuring a way to add fellow WAZERS w/o Facebook. I have a couple co workers that we all use WAZE but we are not connected on Facebook and frankly I would like to keep it that way. My boss and the operation manager are 2 good examples where I want to have a waze connection with them but do not want to friend them on FB. Looking forward to that update.
TheDer
Send a message

Post by WIKEDSTIK
SalmonGram wrote:I really like this app and I recommend it to everyone (I just wish I could add them as friends without needing Facebook.
I agree! I hate how we're being forced to use FB more and more just to authenticate. :evil:

I guess I'll have to continue Wazing alone.
WIKEDSTIK
Send a message