Learning, really?

Post by MacRadge
Hi,

Ok, so I have driven the same route 20 times, the app tells me that it learns fast but the navigation is not getting any better. Is there I can do about that?

Kind regards

MacRadge
MacRadge

POSTER_ID:1435397

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
MacRadge wrote:Ok, so I have driven the same route 20 times, the app tells me that it learns fast but the navigation is not getting any better. Is there I can do about that?
Welcome!

I'm curious what you are expecting to happen. Are you saying it should not be routing you on the route because you know there is a faster way? Or that you think there might be a faster way, but are waiting for Waze to suggest it?

Waze only knows what is driven. If you know a faster way than Waze routes you, drive it, even when Waze suggests a different route. It usually takes at least a couple weeks for the servers to update road directionality, average speed, allowed turns at intersections, etc., before it will actually update the roadmap accordingly. Because of the number of users, the servers crunch through 10's of thousands of routes and GPS tracks every day. It does take time.

If you find something problematic, like it always routes you over road B instead of road A when clearly road A is faster, there could be a problem which cannot be fixed automatically. Submit a Map Problem, and if there is an Area Manager in your area, they can look into it. You also can look at the map in Live Map / Update Map (known as Cartouche) and look for a connectivity or road problem. It could be a missing section of road somewhere along the other path. It could be a section of road which thinks it is one-way going the wrong way for you.

If you would like some guidance, post a permalink from Cartouche here and some of the vets can check it out, too. More eyes...
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
dmcconachie wrote:I would highly suggest you a) contact the existing Area Manager and get him to read the editing tips but more imprtantly b) get aquianted with them yourself and apply for AM status!
Ditto. The 2nd permalink shows that there are three Area Managers, though it is impossible to know if any one of them are still active as a Waze AM. PM them here using the same name that shows in Cartouche. And ditto on (b). There's no business like fixing it for yourself if you can't get an existing AM to fix it.

Oh, and you will have some edit permissions without being an AM, but I do not believe you can delete segments or nodes, but you should able to edit geometry, directionality, levels (over/underpass) and such.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by Chriscc123
tl;dr

but going from your first post, i have only ever had luck with the learning feature if i have that destination set as a favorite (not in saved locations), works %95 of the time if you do that... so ya... you have to save your destination
Chriscc123
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
Area Manager: Calabasas, Malibu CA

Post by dmcconachie
Looking at the first permalink I can't even see where it's routing you off the A565 Northbound!?

There are *lots* of problems in that area, such as the two odd ramps to and from the northbound carriageway that aren't even connected to anything, the abundance of no-entry (in either direction) roads, loads of superfluous nodes, not to mention the odd choice of minor highway road type for the roundabout when none of the attached roads are that type!

I would highly suggest you a) contact the existing Area Manager and get him to read the editing tips but more imprtantly b) get aquianted with them yourself and apply for AM status!
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by freddiechopin
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:but I do not believe you can delete segments or nodes
You can delete nodes where you have edit permissions, and inability to delete segments can be bypassed with a few clicks more (;

4\/3!!
freddiechopin
Send a message

Post by gerben
Probably there is an issue with the map along your route. Did you check your route in Cartouche?
gerben
Send a message
Nokia Lumia 920 (WP8 3.7.6 client)
Countrymanager The Netherlands
[img]https:///EcBKq[/img][img]https:///WS6zp[/img][img]https:///Y17fx[/img]https://img69.imageshack.us/img69/35/luiconring.png

Post by MacRadge
Hi

Thank you for the comprehensive reply.
I'm curious what you are expecting to happen. Are you saying it should not be routing you on the route because you know there is a faster way? Or that you think there might be a faster way, but are waiting for Waze to suggest it?
It is routing me the wrong way, sometimes. It does suggest alternative routes that might be faster due to current traffic but I doubt that and it was proven wrong as I arrived rather quickly at the destination and the alternative route could not have been quicker by any means that day as it is certainly longer and the traffic was ok on the route I have chosen.

So when it routes me on the "right" route it suggests to drive off the motorway and right back on again, which does not make any sense whatsoever (driving northbound on the A565): http://world.waze.com/cartouche/?zoom=6 ... FFFFFFTTTT

Additionally you can not turn left going northbound at http://world.waze.com/cartouche/?zoom=6 ... FFFFFFTTTT
I reported that 4 times and tried to correct it on Cartouche and it seems that I had no luck fixing it.
Does it take the servers to acknowledge a change made in Cartouche also 2-4 weeks?

So I guess I have to keep going for a number of weeks more. Lets see if I can get it to work.
MacRadge
Send a message

Post by RallyChris
Well being from the states I'm not familiar enough with the area to make specific recommendations.

But in general terms, it looks like both permalinks have one way segments that have flipped to two way. For those, change them back to the proper direction, and then set the lock checkmark.

For the illegal turn, make sure that the turn restriction is in place. The directionality of both segments are correct and the lock is turned on for both segments (the one turning from and the one turn to).

Otherwise, is directionality, turn restrictions are all good, then you are probably suffering from a lack of good average speed data. Unfortunately road editing can cause invalid average speeds, which will only get fixed by seeing someone drive them. So it make take you driving the suggested route a couple times for waze to learn the appropriate average speed.
RallyChris
Send a message
Portland, OR / USA - Mega Mapper
Wiki: Area Manager | Map Editing | Known Issues List
Official Suggestion Websites (hosted by uservoice):
Waze Client | Waze Website / Editor
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/d/d9/W ... 00k_5c.png

Post by RallyChris
The "learning" we are talking about is from route analysis. How you store the destination, if you are in navigation mode, or just driving, does not have any effect (other then putting some weight on the road matching code) to this analysis.

In this thread, several of us have highlighted issues that can occur that just can't easily be "automagically" fixed, and may need human intervention to clean up. If automatic map making was easy, Waze wouldn't be the only one trying.
RallyChris
Send a message
Portland, OR / USA - Mega Mapper
Wiki: Area Manager | Map Editing | Known Issues List
Official Suggestion Websites (hosted by uservoice):
Waze Client | Waze Website / Editor
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/d/d9/W ... 00k_5c.png