Waze compiled for other ARM architecture

Post by trafficloaf
Hello,

I am thinking of building a carputer and would like to use the raspberrypi that I already have. I have Raspbian installed on it. I'd love to use waze on this setup instead of navit.

Where do I get the source code to compile waze for raspbian? or has someone done this already?

Would it make more sense to just install android on the raspberrypi and then install waze from the app store?
trafficloaf

POSTER_ID:16888894

Send a message

Post by AndyPoms
How are you planning on installing Android on the Pi? The last I remember is that project to port Android to the Pi's chip had fizzled out...

Also, since version 3 (I believe), Waze is no longer open source.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by biccies
I was going to suggest just installing android on the Pi, as you have. It would probably make more sense.
biccies
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by trafficloaf
I live and work in NJ. The traffic is bad and my routing has to change very often, sometimes daily based on traffic events. Waze is BY FAR the best app for my daily driving.

Here is where I'm at:

I thought I would leave the raspberrypi plugged into my car's in-dash LCD via composite video output. I would then use VNC or something similar where the raspberrypi would run a VNC client and my android phone would run a VNC server, this way I could use the nice in-dash screen to view Waze over VNC running on my phone. Trouble is, no VNC servers work properly on my rooted SGS3 with android 4.3, I've tried 5 different ones. I tried VNC over ADB (USB) and over wifi, no go in each app. Most seem to have some kind of a framebuffer error, it looks like in order have a faster frame rate the VNC apps want a direct dump of the VNC server's computer's video frame buffer, but that can and does have errors.

That's why I was hoping to compile waze for Raspbian and skip the phone part completely, but it sounds like that won't work either.

Another try is to get android installed on the pi with a compatible GPS and run the waze app directly on that, hopefully it would work, I haven't tried this option yet but it's the next one for me to do.

My last resort would be to use a MHL or whatever standard it is to HDMI cable for my phone, then HDMI to composite video converter box and just run waze on my phone with the phone running with a video-out mirror mode.

Supposedly the Cyanogen Mod11 ROM has a working screencast method but I haven't heard anyone having success with it yet.
trafficloaf
Send a message