Waze use case - the good, bad and ugly

Post by txvstar
While using waze for a few days via the android client I have noticed my usage patterns and figured I would post as to why that is so. There are far to few users in my area to pay to much attention to reports or even chit chat and most data such as police and traffic are hours old if available at all. That leaves the game mechanics along with mapping and navigation functionality as potential reasons to use waze.

In reality the game mechanics are the driving force for using or contributing any data to waze. The client itself while functional lacks the polished user interface, performance and integration of Google Maps. Serious mapping errors in places render navigation somewhat useless and I find myself having to spend far to much time trying to record new roads than paying attention to the road. Turning the update request layer on in cartouche is almost humorous for my area. However one of the largest problems I face even when not actively using the client is the raw location calculations of the client. When I am driving off road or even in parking lots waze continually places my location on the nearest road, often resulting in traffic notifications and false traffic reports if I do not happen to get to the notifications fast enough. Not only is this a distraction hazard the client has shown me driving on roads hundreds of feet away or in the wrong direction due to its own inability to calculate that people drive elsewhere than public roads 100% of the time. Something as simple as taking an off ramp or even making a turn can result in wildly inaccurate locations.

While I understand that things such as map errors can be corrected by users, I cant help but think I am providing an immense amount of data to waze for almost no gain other than a game. The concept is great however execution is lacking. I decided to try waze after hearing the CEO in a tech podcast and while comparing waze with Google maps and talking about how the crowd sourced aspect added value over the Google offering. That simply is not the case, If I need reliable navigation or simple accurate location information I cannot rely on Waze.

Does anyone else have these same issues and is waze addressing any of these actively?
txvstar

POSTER_ID:1721600

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
volucris wrote:What ís a problem however, is that searches for an address from my contact list are never resolved, so that I have to look up where I want to go on the map and then navigate there. That is annoying, since I depend on navigation the most when I have no idea where my destination is in the first place.
The search function does need improvement, but addresses are just like the streets themselves. If Waze has no information from its sources about the address scheme on roads, it cannot find the address. Waze has the ability for end-users to add addresses both in the Client and in the map editor.

I found out that letting google maps locate the address for me (which always works), then switching to street view, then choosing "go to map", I could choose Waze as the app I wanted to use to go there, thus bypassing the need for letting Waze resolve the address. Not a great solution, but I guess I could live with it.
volucris wrote:Changes I made to the map that have to be confirmed by area managers have been waiting for that for over a week now.
That is not very true. The only changes non-area managers have to put into a Pending queue is road deletions. If you have driven in an area, you have nearly full edit rights except for deletions. If you want all edit rights, just apply to be an Area Manager. It's fairly open, typically takes only 24hrs and they rarely reject someone.

If it is taking a long time, consider the possibilities that 1) there may not be an Area Manager where you deleted a road, 2) any AM for that area may have stopped using Waze, or 3) the AM may have A LOT of pending work. (I have over 1000 updates requests from users sent in from the handheld client while they were driving and some of those are going to be pretty old by the time I get to them.)

I do hope you will considering staying on and trying out Waze a bit longer. Enthusiastic folks like you are the type of people we need to stick around to continue to improve Waze. It only gets better if we stick together.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
We need a global Segment Forest Graveyard where one lucky AM gets to bury them all...
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by Atlas85
There is no problem in our area, where the map is almost complete (we have a basemap and large portions of the map are filled with all data). When the map is complete, most of the described problems disappear. If Waze doesn't know it is a parking lot you are driving on (simply because it is missing in the map), Waze WILL place you on the nearest road indeed. A lot of problems might also just appear because of your inaccurate GPS receiver, and does not necessarily have to do anything with Waze.
Atlas85
Send a message

Post by ekapan
It's very hard work to correct map from other user
ekapan
Send a message

Post by hallmike
Click on the road segment, then hold the <Ctrl> key down while you click on the junction so they are both highlighted and the Edit Panel will give you the option to 'disconnect road from node'. Do this to both ends of the road segment you want to remove so you can then edit the geometry and move it out of the way.
hallmike
Send a message
https://photos.imageevent.com/hallmike/ ... llmike.jpg ...when you care enough to Waze the very best

Post by hallmike
That happens to us non-newbies too sometimes! :lol:
hallmike
Send a message
https://photos.imageevent.com/hallmike/ ... llmike.jpg ...when you care enough to Waze the very best

Post by OscarC
That is the thing about Waze if you live in a low user area. Unfortunately there is not much you can do until more users show up, but you can help by promoting Waze on chats/blogs/forums and fixing roads before other users get there.

The thing is that Waze is not purely a navigation app and it seems a lot of people treat it like it is, comparing it to Google or Tom Tom etc. Waze is a social app first but with user controlled navigation (maps) added. So it's a community thing and you have to work together to fix the mistakes, not count on Waze to do it. They give you the tools.

When I started, I was the only person in my area. Literally. I definitely used other nav apps for "real" navigation to unknown places, but would use Waze for my commutes and routes I already knew. The game mechanics helped with staying with it. Reading the forum helped also. I was able to fix my routes and get comfortable editing. Then once I became an AM I fixed my whole town, I guess for me as I was the only person around. Before I knew it more and more people started showing up and although not as dense as other places, there is definitely a growth in usage, in reports, in fixes to make. It's becoming a real community.

If you like it, you have to stick with it and it will start filling in and getting more interesting.

The gains for me in fixing the maps and using Waze is: 1) I love editing the maps. pure and simple. For me that is reward enough. Watching the changes go though, figuring out tricky interchanges, seeing how traffic flows and how cities are designed street-wise...I guess I'm a map geek; 2) I get better, more updated navigation which I have control over - if something is wrong I fix it, not file a report that who know when it will be looked at and/or fixed; 3) Making a different in my community in some way; 4) The contests are interesting and different, I don't win them often but I like to play.

my 2 cents...
OscarC
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/6/65/W ... tc-sig.png https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/a/aa/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze v3.7.6.0, iPhone 4S - Verizon - iOS 7.0.4
Minnesota-based US Country Manager

Post by rahulmaindargi
volucris wrote:As I read in the guidelines that the unnecessary splitting of a road into two separate one-directional lanes is undesirable, so I decided to rid my neighborhood of one such case. But without the deletion of the now obsolete lane, it is a mess. I respect the workload and voluntary nature of the position of AM, so that is certainly not a reason to give up on Waze.
You can move the road segment, which you marked for deletion (edit Road geometry) to another location away from actual road, so it wont mix up with your actual road geometry.
If AM does exists for your area, he can delete it at his convenience, or you can apply for AM in your area.
But I would suggest to get to know cartouche (The Map Editor) first then apply for AM...
Happy Wazing :D
rahulmaindargi
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by SaylemDaemonia
Sadly I also live in a Waze deficient area... and unfortunately no one at "corporate seems to G.A.S. about those of us not in HEAVILY URBAN areas... so I spend free time editing the map as best i can with what little tools they give us but if I really need navigation, I still use Google MOST of the time while keeping Waze running in the background... to get points... What kills me is that they have foursquare integration but they can't seem to get any support for anything else...
SaylemDaemonia
Send a message