What language should we use on the map?

Република Македонија

Moderators: Unholy, dragstor

What language should we use on the map?

Postby CreekOfJohn » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:57 pm

Greetings Macedonian editors!

First, let me apologize for writing in English, but many current editors in Macedonia don't speak Macedonian, which is also one reason why we need to discuss this topic.

Place names in Macedonia are definitely inconsistent. You find 3 different standards mixed randomly:
1. Macedonian Cyrillic alphabet, i.e. Доброшане
2. Serbo-Croatian Latin alphabet, i.e. Dobrošane
3. Transliterated into English alphabet, i.e. Dobroshane

Typically (in other countries), you would only find the official language as primary for streets and cities. In this case, that would be Macedonian Cyrillic, similar to Bulgaria.

What makes this more complicated is that the locals have different preferences due to the fact that some areas are Albanian-majority and there is also a familiarity with the Serbo-Croatian, as it was part of Yugoslavia in the past.

An even more complicating factor is the lack of local editors who are familiar with the local preferences, or even familiar with the Macedonian language. Also, most of the active Waze app users are foreigners travelling through Macedonia.

So, given all that, I'd like to get ideas and arguments regarding what we should use for street names (primary/alternative) and city names (primary/alternative).

Looking forward to everyone's input. Thanks!
CreekOfJohn
Area Manager
Area Manager

Re: What language should we use on the map?

Postby formulce » Tue May 14, 2019 1:46 pm

Zdravo,

Registriran sum na Waze mnogu odamna, i edno vreme vnesuvav mnogu patista i objekti pretezno vo jugo-zapadniot del zatoa sto ziveam tamu.

Vo vrska so iminjata na gradovite, posto nemase od kade da zemam instrukcii, resiv Primary name da bide napisano na kirilica, kako i officialniot jazik a secondary da bide kako sto velis srpsko-hrvatski. Jas sum za vnesuvanje na ovoj nacin, zatoa sto i kirilica i latinica ke bide vneseno imeto so sto ke bidat pokrieni site govorni podracja.
formulce

Postby CreekOfJohn » Sun May 19, 2019 6:59 pm

It makes sense that all primary names for cities and streets should be cyrillic, as that is the official language.

Regarding the alternative names, does it make more sense to use Dobrošane/Štip/Želino or Dobroshane/Shtip/Zhelino? I think that the first example is preferred by people who speak Serbian/Croatian and the second example is preferred by people who speak English or Albanian.
CreekOfJohn
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby TriRIK » Wed May 22, 2019 3:48 pm

CreekOfJohn wrote:It makes sense that all primary names for cities and streets should be cyrillic, as that is the official language.

Regarding the alternative names, does it make more sense to use Dobrošane/Štip/Želino or Dobroshane/Shtip/Zhelino? I think that the first example is preferred by people who speak Serbian/Croatian and the second example is preferred by people who speak English or Albanian.

Hi,
I think it's better to use Dobroshane/Shtip/Zhelino as Alternative Name because many street signs now use this as a secondary name for places and are replaced by old Serbo-Croatian names which where used in Yugoslavia and a few years after that. Also the English names would be better for Albanians as well as tourists and travelers.
TriRIK

Postby formulce » Tue May 28, 2019 5:25 pm

TriRIK wrote:
CreekOfJohn wrote:It makes sense that all primary names for cities and streets should be cyrillic, as that is the official language.

Hi,
I think it's better to use Dobroshane/Shtip/Zhelino as Alternative Name because many street signs now use this as a secondary name for places and are replaced by old Serbo-Croatian names which where used in Yugoslavia and a few years after that. Also the English names would be better for Albanians as well as tourists and travelers.

I agree with both ways as na alternative name. Usualy when writing latin we use often Dobrosane/Stip/Zelino
formulce

Return to Macedonia