SH20 Hillsborough Rd Northbound Offramp

[ img ]

Moderators: delilush, deanonzl

Re: SH20 Hillsborough Rd Northbound Offramp

Postby SMLol379 » Sun May 22, 2016 10:12 am

Yep, that' the offramp, and well... if you count myself personally having a navigation problem, then yes, I did. :-) It's sometimes part of my commute (yes, sometimes, the joys of Waze is that I end up going this motorway exit about 30% of the time.) I did guess correctly it was a right turn, but I wasn't certain with Waze's habit of 'interesting' routes.

The issue is past the sign -- it's roughly where the most distant car is. It's easier to see from the aerial view - I'll grab a shot from Google's 3d whatchamacallit and scribble on it.

(Note, please scroll to the right to see the full picture)

uphill3.jpg
(189.91 KiB) Downloaded 402 times

And this is what want do to (with the obvious turn restrictions loaded so this will actually work.)
suggestion2.jpg
(190.61 KiB) Downloaded 407 times

I would keep the same names - I would want it just to say 'keep left', 'keep right' style notifications where the lanes on the offramp split, followed by a 'turn left on to Hillsborough Rd' or 'turn right on to Hillsborough Rd'. And, yes, I realise it looks like a slip road, but that is not my motivation, honest! :) Does it sound good?

ispyisail wrote:It reminds me when I was mapping overseas I once saw this box shape. Not sure what it was for but it could be used for a turn instruction

I did read about using it to allow non-24-hr toll roads to still be usable (one arm is marked 'toll', the other arm is 'restricted except when toll-free'). I've found the link - <https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Time-based_Tolls> - might be a useful trick if NZ has time based tolling again!
SMLol379

Postby SMLol379 » Wed May 25, 2016 9:20 am

Cool - will do it now. I'm level two; it doesn't need unlocking. I was really asking because I know slip roads and similar are the exception, not the rule, so wanted to see what community feeling was. :-)
SMLol379

Postby SMLol379 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:02 am

Yep, it was delibrate... my rationale was:

* Driving up the off-ramp, it would annouce "Keep Left Onto Exit 16: Hillsborough Rd"
* At the lights where you stop, "Turn Left Onto Hillsborough Rd".

I was concerned if someone missed the 'keep left' instruction, or got confused at the lights, they'd get a follow up instruction as to what to do at the lights.

In reality, the turn is sharper than the waze centerlines suggest -- it is a true turn, complete with explicit traffic light control. (The issue is the road was so wide, I carried on drawing the arc rather than doing a straight line.)

In fact... looking at it again, this might be a better drawing of the layout:
capture.jpg
(34.8 KiB) Downloaded 264 times

(look at the pink, unsaved lines.)

Would that work better?
SMLol379

Previous

Return to New Zealand