Auckland motorway navigation instructions

Post by Antmannz
Having recently returned from LA, I've come to realise how poor we are with navigation instructions on Auckland motorways.

Almost every LA freeway split or exit is specifically tailored to provide the correct navigation instruction to allow a user to navigate across to the correct lane in time for the exit, split or whatever. Take a look at the example spaghetti here. It looks ugly, but driving through it was reasonably easy.

Comparing with Auckland, I drove from Vector Arena in the city to Te Atatu the other day; the navigation instruction to join the motorway was "Keep right onto Stanley St", followed by "In x minutes, exit left onto Te Atatu Rd". No mention of the split for SH16 and SH1(S). Even worse, no mention of the split for SH16 and SH1(N). I know some of these are technically exits and locals have a general idea of the direction they should be heading, but for a visitor navigating these they would be totally lost.

So...
I would like to update these junctions to provide the additional navigation instructions (modelling them on what I experienced in LA - each instruction basically replicates what a driver can see on the overhead sign), beginning with the Stanley St entrances as a test and progressing from there.

Does anyone have any comments, thoughts, or feedback?
Antmannz
Area Manager
Area Manager

POSTER_ID:8038999

Send a message

Post by Antmannz
ispyisail wrote:just remember that lane guidance in Waze is limited.

e.g. It might be possible to map every single lane on the Auckland Harbor bridge but I don't think we want to go there.

My suggestion is keep lane guidance to the bare minimum
Agreed. My intention is less about "be in this lane", more about "keep left/right onto ..."
Antmannz
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by Dark_Hunter
Agreed, I have have had issues with the motorway as well, not being in the right lane.
Dark_Hunter
Send a message

Post by ispyisail
Let it sit for a couple of days .........

No objections then you can get into it.........

Just do a trial area to start with

The Auckland Harbor bridge is a good example. Took me many weeks to get that right
ispyisail
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by ispyisail
just remember that lane guidance in Waze is limited.

e.g. It might be possible to map every single lane on the Auckland Harbor bridge but I don't think we want to go there.

My suggestion is keep lane guidance to the bare minimum
ispyisail
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by ispyisail
Just for reference

The problem with mapping every lane on the Auckland Harbor bridge is Waze will have no idea which lane you are in as GPS is only accurate to 20 or so meters.
ispyisail
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message