State Hwy 1 South Island using city field "South Island"

[ img ]

Moderators: lizcrime, ispyisail

Postby ispyisail » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:00 am

Hi Guys

I've been thinking about naming the whole of "State Hwy 1" city field in the south island to "South Island"

The theory would be when you zoom out the only name left would be "South Island"

Thoughts?
ispyisail
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby JimmyKip » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:38 pm

I quite like the ideas, but given the potential volume of change would it be best to "proof of concept" it first, and wait until a tiles update to see what it looks like in practice?

Maybe pick a rural area with lots of the classic kiwi crossroads "village" and set the alternate names, and then in a smaller city do the motorway/primary=city, others=suburb?
JimmyKip

Postby pcp192 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:06 pm

My view is that the city field should be used in all roads to reflect the area that the road is actually in. If its done properly I don't see why it's an issue. When zooming out the area/town names across the country is what you will see.
In bigger cities the field can show the suburb and in smaller towns or rural areas just use the name of the town etc.
motorways in the city should just have the city name.

Where this has been done in Auckland looks good on the map with suburb names being displayed in the correct places. I'll have to try again but in the past I did an experiment with searching and found that a road with the suburb in the city field can be searched using either the suburb or the city name. Waze knows the greater city name even when the suburb is put in the city field.
pcp192
Area Manager
Area Manager

Re: State Hwy 1 South Island using city field "South Island"

Postby ispyisail » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:13 am

pcp192 wrote:I'd done a little bit of work in Taupo after visiting last month but didn't have time to do a lot. It looks so much better now - great job finshona. :!:

yeah, thanks
ispyisail
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby pcp192 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:04 am

I'd done a little bit of work in Taupo after visiting last month but didn't have time to do a lot. It looks so much better now - great job finshona. :!:
pcp192
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby finshona » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:02 pm

I personally would like to be able to use Waze for both navigation and real time traffic routing. I try when possible to add as much information about the roads I am driving for the benefit of any other Wazers who maybe following and after a recent visit to Taupo I am now into editing the maps as well.

I find it amusing and frustrating that you are all talking about naming cities vs suburbs when a lot of the roads created by some of you involved in this discussion, around Taupo and including Taupo township were completely unnamed in every field. After travelling North yesterday I see that the problem of unnamed, unfinished roads with turn restrictions left on and one way roads galore is much more prevalent around the country than I realised.

I will watch this discussion with interest to see what you all decide on suburb/city naming and will adhere to what is decided when you reach a consensus. I'm inclined to agree with pcp192 about the rural roads being named by the area they are in as this would make using waze as a navigational tool a bit more reliable. Though so long as people don't care about how they create the roads in the first place it is all a moot point as waze is only as good as its creators.
finshona

Postby pcp192 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:05 pm

Antmannz wrote:
We're pedants ??

:geek: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Absolutely! I'm trying to make the map as accurate as possible so that it becomes a reliable resource for navigation. Having the naming correct is important and the alignment while to some degree cosmetic, does look much better on the client when closely mapped to the actual road, following curves etc rather than a coarse layout in close proximity to the road.

Clearly the biggest problem with naming is finding a reliable source of information - if the council itself has multiple sources with differing data then I'm not sure where to look!

I do have contacts in a few local/regional Councils around the country and am asking around to see if anyone can help with data/maps for us to use as a reliable source.

Not everyone who uses Waze is going to be interested in map editing and if the maps are not accurate they will not use it. There are other free (or very cheap) alternatives with good maps and reliable routing - they may not have realtime traffic data and intelligent routing, but they will get you where you want to go.

So, let's make Waze the best it can be, not just mediocre.
pcp192
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Antmannz » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:29 am

ispyisail wrote:Im not sure what to say...............

Untill a few weeks ago you couldn't nagavate from picton to bluff, hang you couldn't even navigate to christchurch to Dunedin and you guys are spending time proving my postal address is wrong based on google or other source.

Whats up with that..................

We're pedants ??

:geek: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Antmannz
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby ispyisail » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:14 pm

Im not sure what to say...............

Untill a few weeks ago you couldn't nagavate from picton to bluff, hang you couldn't even navigate to christchurch to Dunedin and you guys are spending time proving my postal address is wrong based on google or other source.

Whats up with that..................
ispyisail
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby Antmannz » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:38 pm

I dunno if I'd rely on a pdf from a council site; no telling how old it is.

Having said that, the AA states that the pdf's Gumtown location is Three Mile Bush.

... and the council's rates record detail for a property at that location is Kamo.

... and their GIS map doesn't have anything.

[ img ]Click for full image.

So .... :?
Antmannz
Area Manager
Area Manager

Next

Return to New Zealand