New Zealand and Papua New Guinea Country Manager
ImageImageImage
ispyisail
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Re: City and County Naming - New Zealand

Postby nzhook » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:38 am

Why did we need 4 of these?

In terms of page, I like the idea but im not sure how clear it is or that it covers enough detail.
How about something like this instead:
To aid in an easy to understand client display, if the street is visible at higher zoom levels (Primary and above) the City field should be used to only specify the city, town or village. However if the city had suburbs and the street is only visible at closer zoom levels (Standard and below) this field should be the suburb. An alternate name with the City field with the other value should be added to aid the searching of roads in that area.

Lets take Kamo, Whangarei as an example.

For all primary and above roads in the area:
Primary city: Whangarei
Alt city: Kamo

Standard roads or lower in the area:
Primary city: Kamo
Alt city: Whangarei

Excluding Motorways if a road is driven at open road speeds then it is classified as a rural road, and the Primary street details should have No City ticked, but an alternative name entered with the city which would be given in a postal address. There is no difference between Primary and Standard roads in this case.

Lets take a road on State Highway 3 as an example.

When not travelling on the Open Road (eg. when not travelling at 100kph):
Follow rules given above

When travelling ot the Open Road (eg. when the speed limit is 100kph):
Primary city: No City
Alt city: City name listed for postal purposes

We probably should work out what we do about province (Waikato, Far North...) as well, I dont think its really needed and just clutters up the map.
Area Manager - Taranaki, New Zealand
Samsung Galaxy Ace (GT-S5830) - Gingerbread (Andriod 2.3.5)
New Zealand - Waze Client Beta Tester
nzhook

Postby ispyisail » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:47 pm

ok

I've made some small changes to your above post and its still not quite right

back after work
ImageImageImage
ispyisail
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby ispyisail » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:03 pm

Why did we need 4 of these?

sorry, the waze server crashed and I hit send a few times

I didn't know

sorry
ImageImageImage
ispyisail
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby finshona » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:50 pm

Shouldn't that be for navigational purposes, why would anyone use Waze to work out someone's postal address?

Where has the decision been formed that Rural areas are less important navigationally than urban areas. I am concerned that you are limiting wazes navigational functionality. I have been based most of my life in rural areas, most of my driving is still to rural areas. Personally I still think that pcp192's idea of putting the local area name in the city field is sensible and logical on the open rural roads.

Lets take Hunua as an example the postal address is RD 3, Papakura so am I going to put all the names in this area as Papakura? Oh even better how about Ararimu, half of it would be labled Papakura and the other half Drury. This makes no sense whatsoever.

I think more thought and discussion needs to be put into this decision and that other peoples views should be taken into account, not summarily dismissed as they don't agree with the writer.
finshona

Postby nzhook » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:04 am

ive tweaked the formatting a little does that work any better.
nzhook

Postby nzhook » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:24 am

finshona wrote:

Shouldn't that be for navigational purposes, why would anyone use Waze to work out someone's postal address?

Fair call, although how do you determine the navigational city name? People should know how to determine the postal address for a road and most people would give that city for the purpose of navigation.

finshona wrote:Where has the decision been formed that Rural areas are less important navigationally than urban areas. I am concerned that you are limiting wazes navigational functionality. I have been based most of my life in rural areas, most of my driving is still to rural areas. Personally I still think that pcp192's idea of putting the local area name in the city field is sensible and logical on the open rural roads.

Its not limiting the navigation of Waze, its making the client display urban areas correctly. The alt names are used for the navigating for a place. pcp's idea of having a city name against every primary name means that the client has no idea where the city/town actually is and can sometimes put it in the middle of a rural area.

If however an alt name is entered with the correct city name, the client will search the alt name as well and give the correct directions.

finshona wrote:Lets take Hunua as an example the postal address is RD 3, Papakura so am I going to put all the names in this area as Papakura? Oh even better how about Ararimu, half of it would be labled Papakura and the other half Drury. This makes no sense whatsoever.

I dont follow you here? What you seem to have suggested is that the primary road should be labelled one or the other but not both? Where is the road? If someone was to drive to it what would be the address you gave for them to drive to?

finshona wrote:I think more thought and discussion needs to be put into this decision and that other peoples views should be taken into account, not summarily dismissed as they don't agree with the writer.

I think you need to reread that topic as im not sure why you have decided that we don't agree with the writer, that was the whole reason I suggested using alt names. Nobody actually paid attention to the original suggestion of using alt names and flamed me for my thinking, when I pointed it out a second time, then it seemed like everyone was on the same page as it covered everyone's thoughts for display as well as navigation - Im really not sure why pcp then decided to go back on that and hasn't replied to suggest why.

As ispy has mentioned tho it is for comment, if you have a reason for why it shouldn't be done or doesnt work do chime in.
nzhook

Postby nzhook » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:30 am

BTW, as an example of a road with the city name against the primary field and the map showing the town in an incorrect location take a look at Patea on the livemap:
patea.jpg
patea.jpg (33.77 KiB) Viewed 407 times

https://world.waze.com/livemap/?lon=174 ... yers=BTTTT

Patea is next to the river (around where the BP is), not half way up the page.
nzhook

Postby ispyisail » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:57 am

I have no problems with the urban but I still trying to get my head around rural

as an example

https://world.waze.com/editor/?zoom=1&l ... FFTFTTTTFT

My postal address is

Code: Select all
Mr ispyisail
111 Gumtown Road
RD 1 Kamo 0185

Result

Street Name: Gumtown Road
Primary: None
Alt: Kamo

Even though my official suburb is "Gumtown"
ImageImageImage
ispyisail
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby nzhook » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:34 am

ispyisail wrote:
RD 1 Kamo 0185

Result

Street Name: Gumtown Road
Primary: None
Alt: Kamo

Even though my official suburb is "Gumtown"

With that little bit at the end that the fourm didnt include, I see the issue.

Most people I know who live out in the Rural areas dont actually give the city, but since im in New Plymouth the RD addresses closely reflect the closest town not the suburb (eg. RD 1, New Plymouth)

The idea of the alt name is for navigation, so if I was driving from New Plymouth to you what address would you give me so that I dont go to Turua, Hauraki? And what would we call the city part so that people know what it is and could find it easily? as obviously city from the postal address doesnt work as I thought it would.
nzhook

Next

Return to New Zealand