As always I suspect robust decision on the pros and cons
ispyisail
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

POSTER_ID:5851995

Send a message

Post by finshona
I am tired of this argument.

I am going to name rural roads the way I have been doing it. I refuse to allow areas of NZ to disappear from the map because you want it pretty.

Make sure you put the caveat on the wiki pages that at the end of the day you have the right to name rural roads as your intelligence tells you to, either for functionality or aesthetics. If you don't then I will as I'm allowed to edit the wiki pages too.
finshona
Send a message

Post by ispyisail
ok

I've made some small changes to your above post and its still not quite right

back after work
ispyisail
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by ispyisail
Why did we need 4 of these?
sorry, the waze server crashed and I hit send a few times

I didn't know

sorry
ispyisail
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by ispyisail
I have no problems with the urban but I still trying to get my head around rural

as an example

https://world.waze.com/editor/?zoom=1&l ... FFTFTTTTFT

My postal address is

Code: Select all

Mr ispyisail
111 Gumtown Road
RD 1 Kamo 0185
Result

Street Name: Gumtown Road
Primary: None
Alt: Kamo
Even though my official suburb is "Gumtown"
ispyisail
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by ispyisail

111 Gumtown Road, Gumtown, Whangarei
ispyisail
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by ispyisail
I also have another problem

https://world.waze.com/editor/?zoom=2&l ... FFTFTTTTFT

The suburb "woodhill"

I think there is a suburb in auckland also called woodhill, so I had to name it "woodhill (whangarei)"

I'm temped to try and name all streets and roads primary "Whangarei" and all alts their suburb names?

thoughts?
ispyisail
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by ispyisail
nzhook wrote:
ispyisail wrote:

111 Gumtown Road, Gumtown, Whangarei
I would think Whangarei would be the city part for the alt, or do people need to search on the Gumtown as well?

in google maps i can search with only

274 Gumtown Road, Whangarei
but if you were using old fashion maps it wouldn't be so much fun
ispyisail
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by ispyisail
3. The reference to St Loius is not correct - taking a close look at the map both Streets and Primary Streets have the same name in any given area. In the central city area of St Loius they all have the city field of St Loius and in the suburbs all streets and Primary Streets are using the suburb name in the city field. The net effect of this is that the suburb names appear on the map and in the city centre it is named St Loius. If one was to search for 'St Loius' for a destination I'm guessing it would take you to the centre of the area called St Loius.
This is the effect we need in Auckland (and other cities) as well with suburb names appearing correctly on the map.
Looking at this view on the client
I once though/agreed with this concept but no longer

Who navigates to "Auckland" in fact who navigates to a suburb, im going to suggest not many people. You navigate to street level and use suburb/city to make sure its the right one.
My question is - if we name all primary streets using 'Auckland' what will you see on the client in this scenario? As all 'Streets' are not visible won't it show just Auckland? That is an undesirable outcome
As all 'Streets' are not visible won't it show just Auckland?
No, have a look at Whangarei, it has been named with our new/proposed naming system for a few update cycles now .
The biggest problem here is that we are trying to create a cludge to solve the fact the Waze cannot achieve exactly what we want. If it had more fields for naming and the ability to geographically pinpoint the centre of any town, then we wouldn't need to even consider a complex set of rules where the city field is used differently in various scenarios and unfortunately the rule as currently proposed does not suit all scenarios.
strongly agree

But I disagree that just because waze has some design issues we should just give up
ispyisail
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by ispyisail
True - but at the same time Whangarei disappears as you zoom out so what's been achieved by naming all the primary streets as Whangarei? All that's visible when zooming out is the surrounding suburbs. How would the map differ if in the suburban areas ALL streets had the suburb name?
For what ever reason it appears that city names take awhile to update at different zoom levels (don't quote me on this)

Have a look at the live map

New Zealand is starting to look real good now
ispyisail
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message