Auckalnd - Penrose to Nth Shore

[ img ]

Moderators: delilush, deanonzl

Re: Auckalnd - Penrose to Nth Shore

Postby noodlesnz » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:40 am

I'll look into it tonight, there may be a map problem. I have noticed that spaghetti junction does some crazy things to Waze because of the number of roads crossing each other.
noodlesnz

Postby noodlesnz » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:45 am

I can see it happening. On live map if you plot a course from about Gillies Ave to near the harbour bridge north bound it takes you off at Symonds Street and down near the docks and then back up onto the motorway.

I checked all the connectivity on the motorway and couldn't see any problems. I'm wondering if there's a segment that doesn't have speed information or something. Does seem weird as I've driven a similar route before and had it route me over the motorway, not off and round etc.
noodlesnz

Postby noodlesnz » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:19 am

Sorry Wayne, I only edited one road. It looked like it was going over another, so I moved it to the bottom. In future I'll stay away from spaghetti junction. I certainly don't want to interfere with your work.

Perhaps you should lock the roads once you're happy with them.
noodlesnz

Auckalnd - Penrose to Nth Shore

Postby SomethingThatDoesntExist » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:21 pm

Hi guys. I just started using Waze a couple weeks ago. Great idea and I've already got into the mapping side of things as I notice the few roads that are missing around home. I'll be mapping a bit of Northland next time I head to my parents too.

Now I commute from Northcote to Penrose and I've been leaving Waze running for this journey everyday for two weeks.

To work (Northcote->Penrose), the directions are fine. But the directions for the homeward journey get a bit weird at the Symonds Street off ramp.

Waze is telling me to get off the motorway at Symonds, do a U-Turn about half way down, and then get back on the motorway to head north. Obviously I've been ignoring this.

Does anyone see the same? Is there a way to fix, or does Waze teach itself?
SomethingThatDoesntExist

Postby SomethingThatDoesntExist » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:27 am

Thanks guys. I can confirm that this route is now working as expected.

noodlenz - I got your email re: the roundabout at Raleigh/Lake/Exmouth. Not only is this route now working as expected too, but Waze is now giving voice prompts for the roundabout. Before it was just saying "At the roundabout" and thats all.

Cheers fellas.
SomethingThatDoesntExist

Postby waynemcdougall » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:55 pm

I was fixing some serious connectivity and height issues in that areas about a week ago.

I think the routing problem is just temporary after the last Livemap update. The routing server seems to lag the Livemap byt about 1-2 days.

@NoodlesNZ - I see you have been doing some editing in there again. I'm thinking you have been changing the heights of some roads.

I hadn't done a comprehensive repair of the whole area but I thought I had most of the heights right. Some of the roads that you last edited are now completely wrong in heights. Someone has put a road at -5, when there are roads that go below it. Other road heights have recently been edited to be changed from something right to something wrong.

These wrong road heights are why Waze has been giving wrong directions. That and roads in the wrong direction, wrong location and wrong connectivity.

@NoodlesNZ, if you're going to edit heights, please go in with a comprehensive plan and make sure your changes are consistent with all overlapping and underlapping roads. Or perhaps start a thread in the NZ forum and say your proposed changes before you make them.

I'm very frustrated that a lot of careful work seems to have been trampled over with no thought.
Waze User Manuals, Map Editing guide and support at http://www.waze.com/wiki
Wayne McDougall
Make Friends with me on Facebook and we'll compete against each other on the Scoreboard
http://www.facebook.com/wayne.w.mcdougall
waynemcdougall

Postby waynemcdougall » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:09 am

Oh don't be too worried by me. You've done so much good work. Locking, of course, doesn't stop someone else editing, but perhaps should raise a warning to other editors that someone thinks it is right. :-) I've started locking pieces of the southern motorway around Gillies. The shift in lane locations made Waze automatically change the oneway state of the roads so it went all doo-lally until my updated went through. I've locked ti to stop that happening again. I see locking motorways is part of the progress the UK is making as they complete road segments.

Spaghetti junction I stayed away for a long time as the aerials were hopeless and I didn't know the recwent developments well enough. I've been fixing it as I drive through and reckon I have a good handle on it. There were lots of serious things wrong - I was surprised Waze got me through it as well as it did. I'll do a comprehensive audit and get the heights right.

noodlesnz wrote:It looked like it was going over another, so I moved it to the bottom.

I'm not sure what you meant by this. It looked like on the map that it was going over? Or on the aerial image? Lower numbers mean lower roads So if Road A is over B then Road A needs a higher level number than road B.
Wayne McDougall
Make Friends with me on Facebook and we'll compete against each other on the Scoreboard
waynemcdougall

Postby waynemcdougall » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:21 am

Problem now fixed with the latest Livemap update
Wayne McDougall
waynemcdougall

Return to New Zealand