HOV Lanes Feature

[ img ] This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Moderator: delilush

Re: HOV Lanes Feature

Postby JimRyanInternational » Tue May 09, 2017 7:52 pm

Any news on the HOV feature? Waze is practically useless in Boston without it. Not knowing about HOV lanes can double the commute time.
JimRyanInternational

Postby karlcr9911 » Tue May 09, 2017 9:07 pm

Hi,

It's an extremely complicated feature that Waze has to figure out for the masses, assuming they're up to the challenge. There are so many moving parts; toll tags, day restrictions, vehicle restrictions, road restrictions, etc. all of which must be taken into account. Hopefully, we will see something in a few months but who knows.
Regional Coordinator - U.S. South Central]
iOS Beta Leader / Tester | WME Beta Tester
[ img ]
[ img ] [ img ] [ img ][ img ]
SCR Wazeopedia
karlcr9911
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby ubguy » Thu May 25, 2017 4:45 am

I just drove ~3 weeks around the country with the wife...and the lack of HOV was quite noticable in pretty much eliminating a lot of Waze differentiates from other aps (telling me the speed limit and my speed on new roads was HUGE!).

Maybe I am missing the point, but I think the app already HAS a way in which a user can be identified as being "HOV capable", it just isn't using it for this purpose.

Every time I log in while driving it asks am I a PASSENGER, here is what SHOULD happen:

* if I press PASSENGER, it congratulates me for being HOV capable, and ONLY gives me HOV instructions when that is available. Which is GREAT if I truly am HOV capable.
* and if I press PASSENGER and I am not HOV capable, I am screwed because I have the wrong data.
* If I say just a driver, then normal Waze works.

This would also be a great safety thing for Waze to implement.

I know that initial question is for legal purposes, just so a driver using the app cannot make Waze liable if in an accident...but it would be so much better for Waze to help SOLVE the problem of people using their phone while driving by adding a feature people want.
ubguy

Postby jm6087 » Thu May 25, 2017 8:24 am

There are other parts that need to be solved. Some HOVs are completely separate roads and sometimes they are part of the existing road. Waze needs to determine speed on both and with the roads so close together the speeds bleed over.
Also, some HOV are 3+, sometimes they are tolled HOV, sometimes the HOV may only be active during certain times.
Unfortunately as Karlcr9911 said, there are a lot of moving parts to getting HOV implemented. Hopefully it will be sooner than Waze Soon, but we just have to wait and see.
jm6087
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby ajcadoo » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:22 am

jm6087 wrote:There are other parts that need to be solved. Some HOVs are completely separate roads and sometimes they are part of the existing road. Waze needs to determine speed on both and with the roads so close together the speeds bleed over.
Also, some HOV are 3+, sometimes they are tolled HOV, sometimes the HOV may only be active during certain times.
Unfortunately as Karlcr9911 said, there are a lot of moving parts to getting HOV implemented. Hopefully it will be sooner than Waze Soon, but we just have to wait and see.

Is it possible for Waze to maintain accurate speed data when an HOV lane isn't a separate road, but rather just an additional lane on a freeway?
ajcadoo
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3

Postby jm6087 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:53 am

ajcadoo wrote:Is it possible for Waze to maintain accurate speed data when an HOV lane isn't a separate road, but rather just an additional lane on a freeway?

That is something they are working on.
jm6087
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby KellyJr69 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:26 pm

HOV lanes and Toll roads should be more prominent on the Waze app.
KellyJr69

Postby nzahn1 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:06 pm

If you all haven't noticed. HOV and toll passes (transponders) are now LIVE in the production apps. Be sure to set your transponder passes and vehicle type in the navigation settings to get the best results. You'll see HOV options (where available) when you look for additional routes from the ETA screen.

[ img ]
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
Rank 6 | US Local Champ | Maryland SM | WME Beta | iOS Beta
WME Profile E-Mail MD Twitter MDForum MDWiki Welcome!
nzahn1
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby voludu2 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:18 pm

Does Waze Team still want drivers to use the form in the original post from this topic?
https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 6#p1351969
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... Q/viewform

Or, now that HOV is on the map, do they not want these reports any longer?

[ img ]
USA Northeast Region Discord Chat
State Manager - Pennsylvania
Country Manager - USA and Thailand
Wiki Master, Global Mentor
utilitas, simplicitas, retentionis
voludu2
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5

Previous

Return to United States