Road Closures Form for All Editors

[ img ] This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Moderator: delilush

Road Closures Form for All Editors

Postby orbitc » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:09 am

Hi Everyone,

Please fill in this form for construction, work closures and emergency closures.

This form is to be used by all editors who do NOT have direct access to the Waze Road Closure system.

US Champs and State Managers will review your requests and they will be submitted to Waze if approved.

• Find all the information that you can about the closure- description, dates, times, name of road, relevant webpage.
  • Please provide a permalink with all of the segments that need to blocked, highlighted. This is needed to close each segment.
  • The closures are based on segments ID’s. It’s recommended to lock the segments to a high level, to help prevent any changes during the closure period.
  • Date format: YYYY-MM-DD (ISO-8601)
  • Time format: HH:MM:SS
  • NEW!...Nodes ID's - Use this when you need to block two ways segments but only for one direction. You need to add the node ID's ordered by the closure direction.
  • NEW!...Time Zone Enter only one of these:
    • Pacific,
    • Mountain,
    • Central,
    • Eastern,
    • Hawaii,
    • Alaska,
    • Puerto Rico

Champs and SMs: Please review requests here. Don't forget to enable notifications to get alerted when there is a new request.

Any other major traffic event in your area use this form.

UPDATE! Going forward all editors will be able to review what they submitted and comment if necessary by going to this "Closures for All Editors Sheet"

Thank You and Happy Wazing :)
orbitc
Last edited by orbitc on Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:13 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Node ID's and Time Zone added.
Regional Coordinator for Northeast (DE, NJ, NY, PA) & New England (CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT)
• ßeta Tester
• iOS ßeta: Always the latest version
• WME ßeta

[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
WME | USA | MapRaid!
orbitc
Master Raider
Master Raider

Re: Road Closures Form for All Editors

Postby tckma » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:27 pm

My employer blocks access to Google Docs. Is there an alternate link?

Failing that, I could report from home.
[ img ][ img ]
Area Manager in MD (some of Carroll and Baltimore Counties) and PA (some of York and Adams Counties)
NWR/MAR Editor Exchange Program -- EA in Wyoming and Montana
Apple iPhone 6S, AT&T, iOS 12
tckma
Map Raider
Map Raider

Location: Westminster, MD, USA (home) /King of Prussia, PA, USA (work)

Postby qwaletee » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:13 pm

You can PM your RC (or an SM if your state has one).
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

Postby pumrum » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:31 pm

A couple questions on this great new feature:

The guidelines mention that closures can be added 24 hours or more prior to an event. Is this subject to the standard WazeHQ availability of Sunday through Thursday (USA time, observing Friday and Saturday as Israel days off), or will events submitted on Friday be live for Sunday (or late Sat)?

Are these updates subject to the tile updates, or are they independent? Said another way: if a closure is uploaded Monday morning, but the tiles don't update for another 3 days - will the closures still appear in the app or will they not appear until the tiles update?

I see that this is targeted for construction or emergencies, but some are also using this for localized events (parades, etc) which I think is awesome. Some locales such as NYC don't publish full closure information about localized events until very late in the week and I want to make sure it is OK to use this system for those types of events. There is a high impact to traffic, but details are often not provided far enough in advance to qualify for a Major Event.
pumrum

Postby orbitc » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:51 am

pumrum wrote:The guidelines mention that closures can be added 24 hours or more prior to an event. Is this subject to the standard WazeHQ availability of Sunday through Thursday (USA time, observing Friday and Saturday as Israel days off), or will events submitted on Friday be live for Sunday (or late Sat)?

I would put TBR and put it in the sheet. Waze is usually get to it even on the weekends but not always.

pumrum wrote:Are these updates subject to the tile updates,...

No

pumrum wrote:will the closures still appear in the app or will they not appear until the tiles update

It will appear in the live map.

pumrum wrote:I see that this is targeted for construction or emergencies, but some are also using this for localized events (parades, etc) which I think is awesome. Some locales such as NYC don't publish full closure information about localized events until very late in the week and I want to make sure it is OK to use this system for those types of events. There is a high impact to traffic, but details are often not provided far enough in advance to qualify for a Major Event.

Yes, you can use it for these kind of events. Events that impact many such as NYC Marathon, please use the even closure form.
Regional Coordinator for Northeast (DE, NJ, NY, PA) & New England (CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT)
• ßeta Tester
• iOS ßeta: Always the latest version
• WME ßeta

[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
WME | USA | MapRaid!
orbitc
Master Raider
Master Raider

Postby pumrum » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:15 am

orbitc wrote:Waze is usually get to it even on the weekends but not always.

understood - just want to set expectations

orbitc wrote:Events that impact many such as NYC Marathon, please use the even closure form

absolutely. major events such as the marathon are usually better about publishing closures far in advance. minor events such as summer parades not so much - they're on the weekend traffic advisory and update some time between tuesday and friday, depending on when they get around to it. they still have a large impact on traffic, but we don't get enough advance warning to go through the standard major event process.

thanks!
pumrum

Postby Joyriding » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:47 pm

Hi, what is the preferred method for requesting a previously submitted road closure to be removed, such is in the case of a road reopening sooner than the originally published date?

Thanks!
Joyriding
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby pumrum » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:50 pm

Joyriding wrote:Hi, what is the preferred method for requesting a previously submitted road closure to be removed, such is in the case of a road reopening sooner than the originally published date?

If you specified the correct end date in the original request, then no further action is required - the closure will expire automatically.

If you need to adjust any aspect of the closure such as the end date/time being moved up (construction ahead of schedule?? HA!), submit the closure as you did initially with the updated information, and note in the comments that you are modifying a previous entry. The manager reviewing the closure will see that, find the original entry, and modify as needed.
pumrum

Postby pumrum » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:08 pm

A quick but very important note on closures: we need to be careful with closures, especially bridge replacements, not to overly restrict local access. There are many instances of closures on very busy, densely populated streets where the closure may only affect a small portion of the segment in the middle. If the entire segment is closed, it can do bad things to drivers trying to route to destinations on the non-closed portion of the segment.

My suggestion, posted here for peer review, is that if a closure only affects a small part of a larger segment, that segment should be broken so that the closure is limited only to the area actually closed. See this segment as an example. The bridge closure is actually very small, and does not restrict local traffic on either side of the closure (the only effect is that vehicles are not permitted to pass over the bridge). In this example, if the entire original segment was closed, a driver trying to navigate to a point on that road would be given directions to one of the dead-end side streets, very much out of the way of their intended destination.

I also recommend locking that segment to avoid having the "duplicate junction" being removed or anyone doing anything inadvertently that alters the segment ID. If it is a long term closure, you can optionally mark it (CLOSED) in the street name. I also like to drop a UR next to the closure once I have inputted it into the sheet. There is a column on the WazeHQ upload sheet (currently column S) that includes pre-defined UR text you can paste in.

Thoughts?
pumrum

Postby tckma » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:36 pm

Ben, I get closure info locally from a County Government maintained Facebook page from my county. Sometimes, the closure is in an area of the county with which I am not familiar and don't travel often.

Example 1, the official announcement regarding the long term closure of this segment actually stated that a much larger portion of the road would be closed. I live near enough to this area that I was able to do a drive-by to see what segments were ACTUALLY closed.

Example 2, the official announcement regarding the short-term closure of these segments actually indicates this whole section is closed all of this week. I doubt it. I don't have much occasion to drive through Sykesville to check.

What should be done in the case of Example 2?

pumrum wrote:My suggestion, posted here for peer review, is that if a closure only affects a small part of a larger segment, that segment should be broken so that the closure is limited only to the area actually closed. See this segment as an example.
[ img ][ img ]
Area Manager in MD (some of Carroll and Baltimore Counties) and PA (some of York and Adams Counties)
NWR/MAR Editor Exchange Program -- EA in Wyoming and Montana
Apple iPhone 6S, AT&T, iOS 12
tckma
Map Raider
Map Raider

Location: Westminster, MD, USA (home) /King of Prussia, PA, USA (work)

Next

Return to United States