This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Place Names that are not valid cities

Post by voludu2
I just deleted Glen Mills. I set the city property of 7 non-contiguous segments to "Concord Township". By tomorrow, I expect Glen Mills to disappear from the cities layer.
Glen Mills is not a municipality or census-designated place, so according to the Pennsylvania City guidelines it should not be used on segments.

This happens a lot in the US. Place names that don't belong on the segments would still be useful on the map. They
  1. Appear on official state and county maps -- Glen Mills, PA, Fort Washington, MD, Manayunk, Mission District, Swampoodle
  2. Are used by people to discuss/understand location
  3. Are useful on the map for the purposes of orienting oneself.
Nobody knows or cares where "Concord Township" is, though is the municipality that contains Glen Mills and several other places. But Glen Mills, Lenape, and Wawaset are well-defined places that people can understand. Right now, Waze offers no way to show that these are well-defined point places on the map, other than changing the city of a few selected segments. If I did that, I know what would happen. That city name would naturally spread to new parking lot roads, private drives, and adjoining and somewhat-distant street segments until we had a new Glen Mills Smudge problem. And Waze does not offer a way to put a place-name on the map without using road segments.

I wish Waze had a way to add useful place-names to the map without putting them on street segments. I just deleted Glen Mills, but I wish there was a sensible way to bring it back.
voludu2

POSTER_ID:16966196

Send a message

Post by CBenson
I agree. I also suspect that this is going to be a problem as we move to using waze address data for search results. It would never occur to me (well if it wouldn't if I didn't spend so much time on these forums) to search for "185 Glen Mills Rd, Concord Twp" if I wanted to visit a juvenile delinquent. Granted, I'd be more likely to search for Glen Mills School. But the same holds true for 280 Glen Mills Rd (I just happen to associate the Glen Mills with the school). Everyone that I know would associate these addresses with the Post Office of Glen Mills.

The flip side of the coin is that as far as I can tell waze addresses aren't used at all if they don't have city name. So we have guidance developed for map and report display purposes. However, it will be interesting to see how the searching is effected by our city guidance.
voludu2 wrote:By tomorrow, I expect Glen Mills to disappear from the cities layer.
Be aware that this frequently does not happen. The area may be reduced to a point, but Glen Mills may well remain in the database and display on the map and as a report location in certain conditions (although in places like PA where everything has a city name I don't know if this happens or not). To make sure that the city is gone from the database you need to use this form with the special pin code. Submission without the PIN code sit on a speadsheet waiting approval from your RC or other US Champ with access to the sheet. So its best to reach out to your RC or another US Champ about any cities that need to be deleted to have them either enter the information with the PIN code or approve your submission.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by PhantomSoul
I don't think we can be as strict as only allowing municipal or CDP names. I would think, in a navigational context, city names should answer the question of "Where am I?" There are many places where publicly published information may not be sufficient enough to answer that question, especially in more rural areas. As a result, we may have to rely on local expertise, like asking around (it is a social app, right?). Consequently, trying to conform to a nationwide or even statewide standard may easily lead to subpar accuracy in city names both on the map and in search results.
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message

Post by PhantomSoul
City name can also depend on context of question as well. There are places in NJ, particularly the more rural parts, that can go by as many as four different names depending on the context of asking the question, where? If you're talking about where taxes are paid, it's likely the township (municipal). If you're talking about mail, or in many cases, an address, it's likely the postal city (often derived from zip codes). If you're talking about something geographically official, an area might go by a CDP name. However, if you're talking about simple colloquial references, many suburban subdivisions are known by the development name, particularly if such names are still posted on signs.

CDP names sound pretty straight forward to show on the map itself. However, for search results, it's not as clear nor as simple. If I'm searching by address, or my search result includes an address, it would be kind of weird to display anything other than the postal city name to go along with it, no?

Frankly, until we can uncouple city names on the map from ones shown in search results, on a per street-section (perhaps per-segment) basis, there really is no good answer to the city name dilemma.
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message

Post by voludu2
If waze wants to do all the searching itself, it is going to have to come to terms with the fact that the actual location (in PA, township), the locally-accepted place-name, and the zip/mailing address are all different things.

So a person could be in Chesterbrook, a locally-accepted place name but not a municipality, actually located in Tredyffrin Township in Chester County, with a zip code from Wayne, which is a locally-accepted place name within Radnor Township in Delaware County.

Google Maps, for example, does not store city information on road segments.

Waze may have to abandon this as well, in favor of separately-editable state, county, municipality, place-name, and zip code polygon layers.

Otherwise, it continues to be a nightmare.
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
I agree. But doing this with segment city names is subpar.

The Glen Mills segments I renamed were not even in the map location of Glen Mills. They were just 7 segments somewhere in the Glen Mills zip code territory.

That's a problem with the current data model.

City boundaries need to be a separate, directly-editable, map layer. Possibly locked at a high level.
postal codes, with numbers and locale names (if waze is going to be very serious about adress-based searching) need to be on a separate, imported from GIS (readily available in the US and most countries that use postal codes)
"points on the map" like named crossroads, and even area locales need to have their own map level, too.

So that Glen mills is just a point within the Concord Township (the actual municipality)
And also, it is a zip code region based around the Glen Mills post office.

Exton is a census-designated area within West Whiteland Township. It is also a zip code.

West Goshen is a township. But many residents of West Goshen have a West Chester addres because they are served by the West Chester post office located in the West Chester Borough.

And so on.

Trying to put that on the road segments is overloading them. It's a nightmare to maintain.
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
PhantomSoul wrote:
Frankly, until we can uncouple city names on the map from ones shown in search results, on a per street-section (perhaps per-segment) basis, there really is no good answer to the city name dilemma.

Totally agree.
voludu2
Send a message