This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by MojaveCactusMonkey
EAgamer999,
Ultimately its not a terrible idea. The links to the real estate website are also links to an agent on the only house that shows on your link. The description box is utilized on the app for the driver as they are approaching, not a long selling monologue. Driver won't see it all. Description box would be used for something like "Look for the 3 model homes on the right side of the waterfountain." Or the like. It is probably not high on the priority list, but it's worth a shot. So...

Move your post over to the WME Feature Request forum here:viewforum.php?f=656. This forum is for new ideas that don't match wiki. Read the 2nd post down reminding you to search the forum before starting a new post.

In the meantime, since this is not supported and likely will be erased by other wiki reading editors which don't subscribe to your viewpoint, perhaps you can stop making these type of areas for the time being as they don't match what is found in the wiki https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Places
MojaveCactusMonkey
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message
https://sign.wme-tools.com/images/signatures/cones-5-small.png
MENTOR / COUNTRY MANAGER - USA

Adding PLACES?
NV Forum. NV Wiki
RI Forum. RI Wiki
CT Forum. CT Wiki

I think your idea is something that eventually might be a decent idea. HOWEVER, I think we have a lot of MUCH more important priorities than marking neighborhoods. Being first isn't the mission of Waze found here: https://www.waze.com/about. If anything right now, Waze wants to be better at gas prices, but we don't have enough accuracy in gas station places yet. If you want to post in Feature Requests Then refine and copy your post here. I'm not sure the barrio conversation is the best place to add your thoughts, but you'd get more traction there maybe.

There's nothing wrong with a new idea, but certainly there's plenty to do in your editing area of DE besides being rogue and not following https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Places by adding your own version of a area place. Neighborhood is not one of the places defined in area place. There is SOME value perhaps in defining significantly important or historical areas that are not cities. But there are limiting application issues in rendering these neighborhood area places (which don't exist yet) in the client app. I personally wouldn't want to see them on my map, even if it were the first app to offer it.

Now cities are defined by the streets which are named with the city name. Have you discovered Waze WME Colour Highlights which has a function to identify streets without a city name and also to identify streets that have a particular city name? Read up on it. Now tell me exactly how are you going to identify what are the official city limits of the areas you want to change? Have you talked to your area manager about this?

Again, with your 3 months of experience as an editor in Waze, I'm wondering how much you have reached out to your Area Manager to find projects which actually need to have editors doing a lot of work? How much editing help do you really want to do on your own drives? What are your goals of being an editor? Waze has over 50,000,000 drivers and hundreds of thousands of editors and growing every day. What is the greatest need for editors in your area? Have you talked to your area manager about what is needed? Personally I think there is a huge need for adding places that are defined in the wiki within the DE area. Maybe if you talk to one of the area managers or your regional coordinator in your drive area, you can develop that relationship for coaching you and getting you to a much higher skill level. Maybe you can get some editing under your belt and join us in the next map raid. Right now we are in Los Angeles.https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/California/Map_Raid_LA

Nothing wrong with new ideas though... Keep them coming, and put them in the right forum. :)
MojaveCactusMonkey
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Adding PLACES?
NV Forum. NV Wiki
RI Forum. RI Wiki
CT Forum. CT Wiki

EAgamer999 wrote: I could use GIS data or maybe even the 2014 US Atlas Road Map I own to find zip codes.
By the way, Waze editors NEVER utilize 3rd party sources such as Google Maps, or really even an Atlas because they are either volunteer editors like us or using older information. We would use official resources from the government resources to identify the cities. Zip codes may, but not exclusively identify cities. If you get involved with doing more than identifying cities more than at segment level, you might recruit the resources of Orbitc the regional coordinator (RC) for this region. They can certainly help you with resources on larger city name projects. Might get the government resource prior to talking to him.

Way to go on taking such a strong interest in improving your Waze! :)
MojaveCactusMonkey
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Adding PLACES?
NV Forum. NV Wiki
RI Forum. RI Wiki
CT Forum. CT Wiki

Post by Poncewattle
My ears are burning..... :mrgreen:

My thoughts are, it may indeed be a good idea, but that doesn't mean it should be implemented. There are other good ideas for Waze to do as well, like the infamous having Waze display speed limits on roads. The problem is implementation and maintainability. As for the GIS maps, it's great the New Castle Delaware has that information in it, but I can assure you that's not always the case in the thousands of different GIS maps across the U.S. -- and in some cases counties don't even put their maps online at all.

For perspective, consider how a supposedly simple concept like mapping cities (which has a dedicated layer currently) is fraught with problems. Is it just incorporated areas? Or Census Designated Places? Or Postal Cities? What about townships? We haven't even figured cities out yet, and we're going to dive into neighborhoods?!

Delaware (your home haunt and my half-time state) hasn't even gotten cities worked out yet. Wilmington Manor is mapped as a city. Dover Base Housing is even mapped as a city. Why? Are they cities? Turn on the city layer in Delaware and pan around and you'll notice it's a mess and just that layer alone needs a lot of help, so while I appreciate your ambition and love to have a new editor in the area, I'm sitting here almost crying at all the work that needs to be done, hoping to channel your energy into helping into so many areas (no pun intended) that need work in this boring little state! :lol:

Your ideas *are* appreciated and as you can tell they are well received by well-respected editors here. This is obviously just my opinion, and I hope I am not discouraging you from the greater cause.

You're needed: viewforum.php?f=575 :-)
Poncewattle
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by Poncewattle
EAgamer999 wrote: I have been talking to Poncewattle which is one of the Area Managers for Delaware.
Minor correction, I'm an area manager of Luray Virginia, a town of 4,000 in the middle of nowhere, which is as impressive as saying I'm an assistant to the assistant manager at the Dollar General store on the evening shift in... Luray, Virginia. :-)

The AM's in Delaware are listed in the Delaware Wiki page: https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Delaware#Area_Managers

I'm listed there under "other" :lol:
Poncewattle
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message