This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Routing Issue in Lowell, MA

Post by dmcrandall
We're having an ongoing issue in Lowell, MA.

Drivers coming down I-495 and attempting to transition onto US-3 S are being routed all the way up the Lowell Connector to the end, and then back down to US-3.

Here is the ongoing discussion in a UR about it.

I did a quick route check from a NB Connector segment to a SB segment. The primary route bypassed two offramps and went to the end and back.

Any ideas on why Waze is apparently sending people well out of their way?
dmcrandall
Country Manager
Country Manager

POSTER_ID:16975447

Send a message
"This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickok." -Matthew Quigley

US Country Manager (In between deliveries)

Post by CBenson
At 7:00 AM on Wednesday, the Route Speeds script is showing its almost 3 minutes faster to go round the roundabount than to take the 495 to 3 S exit. Says it takes over 4 minutes to go from the 495 entrance ramp to the Lowell Connector entrance ramp on 3 S. With data like that in the waze system, I'm not surprised waze is looking to U-turn on the Lowell Connector.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
You can use WME route speeds to see what routes the Live Map returns.
Lowell.png
(165.96 KiB) Downloaded 334 times
An off/on detour is penalized. However, if the actual time of the "detour" + the penalty is still less than the actual time of the other non-penalized routes then the penalized route may be given.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
FzNk wrote:Right, but the original issue was that drivers were getting routed up to the end of the LC, turned around, and routed back. I doubt that route would ever be faster than I-495 direct to US-3 so I was wondering if the routing server doesn't compare the routes after BDP is triggered.
The point of BDP is not to give the faster route. If the I-495 direct to US-3 was penalized by BDP it would be not be given as the primary route, unless there is no non-penalized route that is slower that the direct route plus the BDP penalty. I don't remember what the naming name discontinuity was, but a route is not given a BDP penalty if it leaves a named highway and does not return to the named highway for over 5 kms. So it may have need to route to the end of Lowell Connector to go the 5 kms to eliminate the penalty.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Didn't understand why that would happen last year and still don't.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by dmcrandall
FzNk wrote:That may only answer the secondary issue. Are you able to generate a route that causes the I-495 to US 3 issue?
I have not. However, here is a local thread started by an editor who had this problem.

viewtopic.php?f=618&t=115805
dmcrandall
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by dmcrandall
I updated the classification and naming on the southbound side overnight. Hopefully that will help to resolve the problem.

Spelling errors are courtesy of large thumbs and a small smartphome keyboard.
dmcrandall
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by FzNk
My first thought would be about the DPM having a problem with the names. You don't usually see opposing Fwy segments with the same name.

[Edit]That may only answer the secondary issue. Are you able to generate a route that causes the I-495 to US 3 issue?
FzNk
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

NWR Assistant Regional Coordinator :: Oregon State Manager
Waze Beta Leader (Android) :: WME Beta

Post by FzNk
Yes, otherwise Waze will not allow (prefer?) a u-turn route of less than 5 km on the LC. I've tested this by reversing the start and end segments of dmcrandall's route which creates a route with a similar unnecessarily long detour.

However, I can't explain Waze routing onto the LC in the first place. I'm curious to see if fixing the LC solves the detour problem completely or if Waze still detours to it but allows an earlier u-turn.
FzNk
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by FzNk
Cool, just getting one side named will take care of the DPM issue. I'll stay subscribed to this thread so please post an update if there are URs that show a change in the routing.
FzNk
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message