This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by FzNk
Yeah, as I was suspecting earlier, Waze could still send you onto LC but allow an earlier turnaround. I just tried a few test routes in the app and I was sent the correct route so it may be a simple as some bad real-time traffic info adding the 1 minute to make the long way seem faster during rush hour. I recommend contacting your RC and see if they can get someone from Waze to check it out.
FzNk
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

NWR Assistant Regional Coordinator :: Oregon State Manager
Waze Beta Leader (Android) :: WME Beta

Post by FzNk
That makes sense then. But I wonder if the BDP-caused, all the way down and back on LC route was faster than the non-LC route or if its speed wasn't considered after the roundabout u-turn was determined to be faster.

In other words, when Waze sees a shortcut that it determines to be a detour, it clearly looks for something else in that direction that either doesn't trigger BDP or simply forces you into a detour (like the end of the freeway). But is the speed of that new, BDP-forced route compared back to the route you were being directed off of in the first place?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FzNk
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by FzNk
Right, but the original issue was that drivers were getting routed up to the end of the LC, turned around, and routed back. I doubt that route would ever be faster than I-495 direct to US-3 so I was wondering if the routing server doesn't compare the routes after BDP is triggered.

I'm going to run some tests that'll hopefully answer the question.

FzNk
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by FzNk
Yeah, they misunderstood the original issue, but it got me thinking again about why that routing happened in the first place.

FzNk
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by FzNk
Yes, false-positive BDP was the reason why you'd get detoured to the end of Lowell Connector and back if you were already on Lowell Connector before the naming fix. What I'm trying to figure out is why you would've gotten routed onto it from the I-495 in the first place if the BDP-compliant route was slower than the direct route to US-3.
FzNk
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by marmaladej
Hello,

(sorry, I commented in the other thread, too)

This issue doesn't seem to be fully resolved -- When exiting from 495 South to go to Route 3 southbound, I am routed onto the Lowell Connector to exit 4, around the rotary just off the exit, back on to the Lowell Connector, on to the Route 3 exit towards Burlington.
marmaladej
Send a message

Post by moogonk
FzNk wrote:My first thought would be about the DPM having a problem with the names. You don't usually see opposing Fwy segments with the same name.
So should we rename the NB segments "Lowell Connector N" and the SB segments "Lowell Connector S"?
moogonk
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message
Moogonk
Country Manager & Multi-State Manager--CT, ME, MA, RI, VT. Rank 5 Resident New Hampshire State Manager

Sometimes you avoid the jam, sometimes you are the jam, and sometimes it's faster to go through the jam. - AndyPoms

Post by moogonk
Ok, great. This makes sense!

I fixed the NB side, but some of the SB segments are locked at Rank 5. I posted a request for corrections to the US Update/Unlock forum.
moogonk
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message
Moogonk
Country Manager & Multi-State Manager--CT, ME, MA, RI, VT. Rank 5 Resident New Hampshire State Manager

Sometimes you avoid the jam, sometimes you are the jam, and sometimes it's faster to go through the jam. - AndyPoms

Post by moogonk
Ok. FYI, I commute past the Connector twice a day, and it has only sent me up and back twice in about 15 months. This is the only UR I've seen that has reported it, so it must be a unique set of circumstances that triggers this problem.
moogonk
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message
Moogonk

Post by moogonk
FzNk: The original issue is 18 months old and had resolved, but someone revived the forum topic for a new, (similar but) different problem.

The current issue does not have drivers go to the end of the LC, only to Industrial Ave (if I understand correctly).

Moogonk
moogonk
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message
Moogonk