This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by GizmoGuy411
AndyPoms wrote:1) "Capt" as in "Capt Andrew Rd" is pronounced "Capped" (close, but you get the idea)
1a) Changed to "Capt." for next tile update - will test "Cap" next

2) "Hosp" is pronounced "Hos-puh" (used "Hosp Rd" - i.e. "Turn Right onto Hospital Road")
2a) Changing position for further tests (Now using "Test Hosp" - i.e. "Turn Right into City Hospital")
Thanks Andy.
Edited in.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. based Global Champ Emeritus
U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
U.S. Great Lakes ARC: IL, IN, MI, OH, WI
(and past GLR RC)
AM: NW OH, NE IN, SE MI
Wiki Profile
Verizon: Google Pixel XL3 & iPad "3"

Post by GizmoGuy411
kentsmith9 wrote:I am pretty sure Crk is not pronounced "Creek", but rather "See Are Kay". I say pretty sure because I have since updated the roadway name to have it spelled out. There is a very small chance it was "CRK", but pretty sure it was "Crk".

I can update this table with failed unless we can change it.
https://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Suf ... reviations

I don't think it is a big deal since it is likely only used as a name and not a road type (drive, way, road), but it would be good for long names to be able to shorten it to "Crk".

Do we have a standard request line for this, or do we just send it in under the nanorep support request?
I'm pretty sure we have some suburbs around me that use it as a suffix. I'll have to hunt them down.

No standard "request line" so far as we still have almost a quarter of the test entries actually tested. Ever since my test rig was mistakenly deleted I have not had time to process many of the remaining entries.

On the other hand we were in contact with Waze about this, and it is still on their back-burner.

There are multiple levels for them to deal with for the TTS, as the base database and the customized "mobile" flavor of the database that Waze uses comes from Nuance. We understand that they have a utility to use for "exceptions", however it is not how I think they want to handle all our suggestions.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
Just added three entries to the list that I tested for but forgot to include in the list.
  • Boro → Borough
    Par → Parade
    Ph → Phone
"Boro" may be handy for roads in Alaska as Borough is their name for counties.

I tested for "Par" and "Ph" in hopes that one would be an abbreviation for "Parish" as that is what Louisiana calls their counties.

Sorry Jason and Sketch... no love for LA yet.

I was quite surprised to learn that "Ph" was for "Phone". Besides all the abbreviations for "Stravenue" it is probably one of the strangest discoveries so far. Now where do you think we would ever use "Phone" on the maps?
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
xteejx wrote:Has anyone asked Waze to look at their TTS service and grab all this information for us? There's gotta be an easier way than testing manually.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2
Yes we asked for that at the Palo Alto meetup last January and they said it was not available.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
WeeeZer14 wrote:Boro is also useful in NYC ;)
Actually it may be useful in NJ also and maybe not so much for AK, as I could only find road sign images show "Boro" for NJ and NY.

After Alan's post, I wondered where I found "Boro" as an abbreviation for "Borough". I searched again and found it at a couple of sites including http://www.zip-codes.com/zip-code-datab ... ations.asp as an abbreviation for both "Boro" and "Borough" in the Official USPS Common Abbreviation list.

Curiously however, I could not find this same list at the Official USPS website. And I suppose I'll scan this list and hopefully NOT find too many more to add to our test list.

Somewhere I found "Bor" as another one to test for.

But wait! Did you know the etymology for "Borough", says it came from "burg"? Did you know that Gerban?
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
Just hit a new snag in the testing of the abbreviation TTS results.

There are two TTS audio files created for every segment tested. One speaks just the words as the segment is named, where as the other has the word "at" prefacing the contained words.

When recently testing a segment named "boro, par, ph", I just noticed that one file said, "at, boro, parade, phone" and the other file said, "boro, par, p h".

This could help explain why some people have experienced different TTS results than others with the same abbreviations.

While I'm sure other examples exist, this is the first I have noticed. I'll re-test with some other variations to see if the cause of the result differences can be narrowed down.

I'll also have to think about how these varied results can be indicated in the test list.

To hear these two files, download the attachments and simply remove the ".zip" from the file name. They are NOT actually zipped files.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Attachments

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
AndyPoms wrote:
AndyPoms wrote:1) "Capt" as in "Capt Andrew Rd" is pronounced "Capped" (close, but you get the idea)
1a) Changed to "Capt." for next tile update - will test "Cap" next

2) "Hosp" is pronounced "Hos-puh" (used "Hosp Rd" - i.e. "Turn Right onto Hospital Road")
2a) Changing position for further tests (Now using "Test Hosp" - i.e. "Turn Right into City Hospital")
1) "Capt." (with the period) is pronounced "Capt-ain" (with a pause - I had to listen to it a few times)
2) Hosp still pronounced "Hos-puh" for positional test. I do agree with Alan that Hospital probably shouldn't be abbreviated...

Andy, if you are an Android person, could you post the two TTS audio files for "Capt." ?
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
invented wrote:Can someone try "RR" to see what happens? like RR-20.
Do you mean "Rural Route" or "Rural Road" or something else?

Note we currently have "RR" in the list to test for "Rail Road".
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
LittlestLou wrote:So, I already mentioned this to Weezer but I noticed for the very first time today the TTS for CONST ZN was "Kahnst Zee N" and not the intended Construction Zone. I can also confirm this was previously not a problem as I heard it correctly within the last couple of months (not sure exactly when since I don't routinely travel this area). Any thoughts or anyone else noticing this problem all of a sudden?

Read my post here. This could be the issue.

Do you have an Android device? If so, is there any way you could send the TTS audio files?
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
Typically they are one file number different from each other. One will contain just the names of the segment and the other will have the names prefaced with the word "at" like the files in my message about boro, par, and ph saying borough, parade, and phone in one file but borough, par and p h in the other

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile