This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by Bruce1224
Re: the letter i in street names

Regarding how tts says roads with the letter i as a part of the name, a couple weeks ago I wrote about a UR I saw where the reporter said that "Rd I-7" was called "interstate 7". Since it's unlikely I'll get to drive to that road to check it due to it's distance, I decided to take advantage of the plentiful farm land in Indiana where I am to test a few alternatives. I created segments of 3 different roads at least several miles apart in the fields of unsuspecting farmers. Each road started "CR-xxx" and tts called each one "County Road". No surprise there.

Here's what I heard for the rest of the label, using single quotes or a period after the letter i:

CR-'I'-7 was pronounced "eye minus 7" - I didn't expect it to call the hyphen "minus".

CR-I.-8 was pronounced "eye minus 8", but with a distinct, short pause after the letter i as though it was paying attention to the period.

CR-I-4 was pronounced correctly as "eye 4"

This last one is consistent with what Sketch said. I believe the tts pronunciation would be the same whether the 'CR' is separated from the letter and/or number by either a space or hyphen, but in my little test the single quotation marks or period didn't help. I didn't get a reply from the reporter of the UR I saw, so I didn't get anything confirmed from them.
Bruce1224
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message
[img]https:///hh75S[/img]

Post by bummerdude69
https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Abbreviations_and_acronyms
When 'N', 'S', 'E', or 'W' should NOT be pronounced as compass directions, enclose the letter in single quotes.
Does this apply to all abbreviations? If so, should that be noted on the page?
bummerdude69
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by bummerdude69
PesachZ wrote: First of all you are looking at an outdated page ...

Second this does NOT apply to all abbreviations, it is specific to cardinal directions.

Third is there a specific use case, or abbreviation which is being an issue for you that you are trying to override?
Thanks, I missed the difference between the two pages.

VA in "Southern Arizona VA Medical Center" is being pronounced as Virginia rather than just VA ("vee" "aa").
bummerdude69
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by bummerdude69
PesachZ wrote:
bummerdude69 wrote:
PesachZ wrote: First of all you are looking at an outdated page ...

Second this does NOT apply to all abbreviations, it is specific to cardinal directions.

Third is there a specific use case, or abbreviation which is being an issue for you that you are trying to override?
Thanks, I missed the difference between the two pages.

VA in "Southern Arizona VA Medical Center" is being pronounced as Virginia rather than just VA ("vee" "aa").
Should it be named with VA in the primary name, or would it be more appropriate to use the full Veterans Affairs, and put VA as an alt name.

If not you can put a space between the VA like "Southern Arizona V A Medical Center"
Trying not to highjack this thread too much, so I'll chase down those other options in other places.

But my main question (confusion?) still stands. What is the best way to avoid the TTS Abbreviation translation? Using '.' for the cardinals works, but what about for everything else? Or is there not, just one best way? [Which, looking at the Big List, seems more likely]
bummerdude69
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Cardyin
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message

Post by CBenson
I'm not sure how waze plans to handle regional/national/language diffences, but I am assuming that currently we are dealing with US English. If that is the case I would add in the state abbrieviations. For instance "MD" is pronounced "emm-dee" by waze. "Penn" is a problem and is pronounced "Pennsylvania."

I would also add the following:
Alternate - ALT
Bound - BND
Crossing - X-ING
Expressway - EXPWY
International - INTL
National - NATL
Route - RT
Throughway - THWY

I would also note that some abbrieviations are ambiguous: ST for Saint or Street and DR for Doctor or Drive. Also some streets are lettered thus there are "E St (or Ave, Blvd etc.)," "N St," "S St" and "W St" out there. Ultimately, there will need to be a method for distinguishing "St" when it means Saint and "St" when it means Street and "N" when it means North and "N" when is should just be "N." If this is done with punctuation then we need to test "St" and "St." etc. If this is done by parsing the phrase, that is "N" is N if followed by a road designation, but north otherwise, then we will need to indicate the different results depending on the phrase.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
How should the street between "M St" and "O St" be input so that it is not spoken "North St?"
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
The credits for the Android Waze 2.9.99.120 says: "Text to Speech: (c) Copyright 2011 Nuance Communications, Inc."
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Yep, no problems with fractions here.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Whats does "n/a" in the confirmed results column mean?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message