Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by banished
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:I saw a street sign today for a "Terrace" which used "TR" as the abbreviation. This would conflict with "TR" for "Trail."
I am uncertain if spelling or standard abbreviations is taught at Street Sign School. :lol:

Normally, Trail would be Trl, Terrace would be Ter

https://www.usps.com/send/official-abbreviations.htm (click on the Street Suffixes tab).
banished
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
GC, ARC, Veteran, CISSP, MCP

Post by banished
jasonh300 wrote:How about "Int'l"?
I found the difference in TTS pronunciation between "Jr" and "Jr." (note the period), was "jay-are" and "junior" with the later being correct. I do not know if the difference between "Intl" and "Intl." would produce similar results, but though it worth mentioning in case it hasn't been tried, yet.
banished
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by banished
Is there a preferred solution for business route syntax? With or without a period, TTS pronounces it "bus" as in Greyhound Bus Lines.
banished
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bart99gt
I read through the first few pages, and last few pages of this thread, and didn't see this mentioned.

Is Waze in the process of adopting standard USPS two letter state identifiers to TTS? As I'm sure everyone is aware, Waze currently just says the letters individually, it would be nice to have it actually pronounce the actual state name, either when used as part of a highway name, or as a City, State type reference.
bart99gt
Send a message
MAR LAM (W DC Suburbs)
MS/AR/Atlanta Metro AM

Post by bart99gt
AndyPoms wrote:
bart99gt wrote:I read through the first few pages, and last few pages of this thread, and didn't see this mentioned.

Is Waze in the process of adopting standard USPS two letter state identifiers to TTS? As I'm sure everyone is aware, Waze currently just says the letters individually, it would be nice to have it actually pronounce the actual state name, either when used as part of a highway name, or as a City, State type reference.
This has been requested. However Waze doesn't say the letters in all cases, "CT" is pronounced "Court", "NY" is pronounced "North Why", etc.

We've also made a request to have things such as "CA-##", "NY-##", "MI-##", "LA-##" translate into the local "Route"/"Highway"/"El Ay"/etc name as well. This one is much longer term.
Very good, I figured that it probably had been, but sifting through 50 some pages would have been a bit tedious.
bart99gt
Send a message
MAR LAM (W DC Suburbs)
MS/AR/Atlanta Metro AM

Post by bart99gt
I've gotten a few user reports about Jane pronouncing Mobile, AL incorrectly. Current TTS is pronouncing it like "mo-bil" as in mobile phone instead of "Mo-bille" or "Mo-beel" (latter is likely the more "Southern" pronunciation) with a short I pronounciation.
bart99gt
Send a message
MAR LAM (W DC Suburbs)
MS/AR/Atlanta Metro AM

Post by baysidelass
Hello, R2 editor here. A Point Place is named Pass & ID PAX NAS. When I navigated to it today, Jane said it as, "Pass and Idaho Paz Naz". Is there an acceptable abbreviation for "Identification"? PL is https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... 107.645656 Thank you.
baysidelass
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by baysidelass
PesachZ wrote:
Baysidelass wrote:Hello, R2 editor here. A Point Place is named Pass & ID PAX NAS. When I navigated to it today, Jane said it as, "Pass and Idaho Paz Naz". Is there an acceptable abbreviation for "Identification"? PL is https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... 107.645656 Thank you.
Just to be sure I understand, is PAX an abbreviation as well, and what should it say? ( It sounds like pax to me now)
You can use "I.D." to say the letters I D
Hi, PesachZ, Thank you for clarifying "I.D." will work. "PAX" is short for Patuxent; for this location, usual abbreviation is "PAX RIV". Full name is Naval Air Station Patuxent River. I think this would work best for TTS; what do you think? "Pass & I.D. Office N.A.S. Patuxent River"
baysidelass
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by baysidelass
PesachZ wrote:
Baysidelass wrote:Hi, PesachZ, Thank you for clarifying "I.D." will work. "PAX" is short for Patuxent; for this location, usual abbreviation is "PAX RIV". Full name is Naval Air Station Patuxent River. I think this would work best for TTS; what do you think? "Pass & I.D. Office N.A.S. Patuxent River"
Depends on the desired result. "N.A.S." will say the letters NAS, whereas "NAS" will say Naval Air Station.
I think then it should be "NAS" because Naval Air Station will sound more familiar to new personnel and visitors looking for routing to the pass office. Thank you!
baysidelass
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by beej666
hi all,

one of my country managers (USA), kentsmith9, suggested i seek feedback here. i made a post at viewtopic.php?f=3&t=129244 because i'm trying to figure out the procedure for getting a TTS failure addressed.

i recently made a UR about the fact that a street named "Buena Vista Ave" has the "Buena" pronounced "Byoonah" by the TTS. the map editor who handled the UR uploaded this video demonstrating it:

cheers,
marc
beej666
Send a message